Ultrasone Edition 9 compared to AKG K-1000
Jun 22, 2007 at 5:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

robm321

Headphoneus Supremus
Has anyone compared the two?

Characteristics of different aspects of the sound between the two would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jun 22, 2007 at 5:47 PM Post #2 of 4
they are just so completely different from each other I would not know where to begin. you're not comparing two headphones, you're comparing a closed can to a pair of speakers that hang from the head beside yer ears. so, i cant help except to say they are as similar as a childs scooter and a pair of roller skates. they both reproduce music. that to my ears is the only common factor.

oh, wait! i can tell you that switching from an ed 9 to k1k it takes a bit of time to hear the bass from the k1k as being sufficient. my k1k had improved bass with the stefan audio arts hardwire, but still..

Jun 22, 2007 at 8:21 PM Post #3 of 4
Which one do you prefer? Or are they both about the same for different ocassions, music, etc.?

Jun 23, 2007 at 1:09 AM Post #4 of 4
From a response I gave someone before...

The Edition 9s are a fantastic headphone which requires a decent amp (preferably Class A) for the best performance. Mine are single ended. An excellent balanced setup is possible from Rudistor (check these forums) which is regarded as one of the best, if not the best, amps in the business for the Edition 9s. The E9s are the best closed headphone I have heard in the last few years, and I have heard a lot of them. The bass goes as low and as tight as anything that I have heard and the mids and highs are balanced and precise. The S-Logic and low-emission are a plus especially if you spend a lot of time listening every day. I have about 600 hours on mine now.

The AKG K1000s are a different animal altogether. Their preciseness, clarity and soundstage are unmatched by any dynamic headphone. That is also their Achilles heel as they will faithfully reveal ANY flaw or shortcoming you have in your system. If you do not have or are not prepared to invest in a high quality source and amplifier, the K1000s may leave you underwhelmed. However, with the proper system, you will certainly not be disappointed. When I am alone, I spend most of my time listening to these.

The reason I have both is that the K1000 requires you to be alone in a room as they are totally exposed and offer no isolation whatsoever. It is possible to listen to the Edition 9s without disturbing anyone else. Also, both are very comfortable. They disappear after they are on after about 10 minutes.

I hope this helps...
k1000smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back