Ultrasone Edition 8's "Yay or Nay"?
Mar 10, 2010 at 7:58 PM Post #2 of 78
It seems overly heavy as a portable headphone to me. But it sounds pretty good.
biggrin.gif

Mar 10, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #3 of 78
Am I right in that the answer you are really looking for is Yay
biggrin.gif

I could certainly give you that and a "sorry for your wallet" but it would help to know exactly what you are looking for? which use you got for them? What music and if you could describe your preferences?

What headphone system are you coming from?

Mar 10, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #4 of 78
Of course yay.

If you don't like them, keep them for a year and sell them for an amazing profit. But you aren't going to do that because I'm pretty sure you'll like them. Allegedly they hold up to the Sennheiser 800s in terms of smoothness, but have quicker all-around response than the Senns, plus better bass. Some people also like the fact that they're closed headphones.

Do it.

Mar 10, 2010 at 8:28 PM Post #5 of 78
Hell nay.

I'd rather have pretty much any other >$1000 phone instead.

HD800 and HP1000 immediately come to mind. Even if I needed closed phones, I'd rather have an AT wood phone. Actually, I'd rather buy AD2000, even if the Ultrasone's market value was like <$500.

Mar 10, 2010 at 8:43 PM Post #6 of 78
Since I'm happy that I have mine, I'd say Yay!.
smily_headphones1.gif

Before I bought mine, I had my D5000's as the only pair of closed headphones. I was having problems listening to them while lying down on a pillow. I was therefore interested in getting a pair of closed cans that I could use lying down. I was also desirous of an improvement on the D5000's. At the time, I had no intention of spending that much on a pair of cans. It was Tyll who mentioned the Ed8's to me and I started reading about their sonic character. It sounded like what I wanted, i.e., a closed can with a small form factor that still delivers by providing a full, lush sound with great bass (articulate, with depth and not overpowering).

When I got them, it didn't take me long to realize the Denons were redundant, so I sold them soon after. The Ed8's are now my closed cans for 'quiet' listening when lying beside my wife or when I wish to just listen to the Ed8's sonic offerings.

They're a fine pair of cans.

Mar 10, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #7 of 78
It depends what you want...if you want one of the best closed headphones out there, then maybe (I prefer the Denon D7000), some prefer the JVC offering and both would cost less. But if you want portable and closed, then the Ed. 8 or 9 is the way to go (yay).

If you want the best sounding headphone open or closed, then I would say nay. I would look into the HD800 or T1 instead.
biggrin.gif

Mar 10, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #8 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayito-san /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of course yay.

If you don't like them, keep them for a year and sell them for an amazing profit. But you aren't going to do that because I'm pretty sure you'll like them. Allegedly they hold up to the Sennheiser 800s in terms of smoothness, but have quicker all-around response than the Senns, plus better bass. Some people also like the fact that they're closed headphones.

Do it.

How do you sell stuff with a profit... Never learned that skill myself. Edition 8 is not limited edition or something so you will have to wait far more then a year for unobtanium status to kick in
biggrin.gif

You got both an ED 8 and a Hd 800 it sounds like? do the Hd 800 have more sub bass. From what I heard it does and should be perhaps a smite faster too? The toned down low bass is actually very thankful for me. I get that a plenty with the DX 1000 and Pro 900 when on that mood.

As for closedness I love it´s isolation first class. I get frustrated about their closed nature some times though. Can feel over damped and soundstage size doesn´t impress compared to other closed cans I have in my possession.

aimlink you could perhaps try the DX 1000 considering this "full, lush sound with great bass (articulate, with depth and not overpowering)."

okay bass is slightly overpowering the mids but it´s a very nice second take on things. You just have to dig a bit more for vocals and such whereas on the ED 8 you have to dig for the bass a bit
smily_headphones1.gif
... Good luck sleeping with them though.

I am really going bananas with my Pro 900/DX 1000/ED 8 combination... It´s a freaking home run
biggrin.gif
All these headphones stay on the head like glue. They all have their quirks but there is always a counter weapon
wink.gif

Mar 10, 2010 at 9:03 PM Post #9 of 78
I have a pair of Quiet Comfort 15's and the bass is just pathetic. I understand that these are noise isolation headphones, and you have to give up a bit in quality music sound wise. I listen to mostly metal, and some electronic. Some of the music I listen to is very bass "centric", so I would like something that can deliever on all levels. I have read that the Edition 8's have great quality across the board... One review going as far to say they are hands down "the best I've listened to up to this point". Now that seems like one Hell of a claim... So now im scrambling to find out all I can opinion wise. Wish I would have done so before purchasing the QC15's...

Mar 10, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #10 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
aimlink you could perhaps try the DX 1000 considering this "full, lush sound with great bass (articulate, with depth and not overpowering)."

When I see the DX1000, I'm thinking of the D5000's in terms of form factor. I specifically went for the Ed8's because I wanted a small form factor in a closed can with great sound. I've found it in spades and have never used the Ed8's as a portable. I don't agree with those who say that they don't respond to very good amp'ing.

One of the things I love about the Grado's are their great sound in a small form factor. Even the K702's are a bit big for my tastes.

Mar 10, 2010 at 9:13 PM Post #11 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orion601 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a pair of Quiet Comfort 15's and the bass is just pathetic. I understand that these are noise isolation headphones, and you have to give up a bit in quality music sound wise. I listen to mostly metal, and some electronic. Some of the music I listen to is very bass "centric", so I would like something that can deliever on the level. I have read that the Edition 8's have great quality across the board... One review going as fasr to say as they are hands down "the best I've listened to up to this point". Now that seems like on Hell of a claim... So now im scrambling to find out all I can opinion wise. Wish I would have done so before purchasing the QC15's...

I'd be careful with that sort of hype. Depending on your disposition, they may be a recipe for disappointment. I don't consider the Ed8's to be the best I've heard to date.
smily_headphones1.gif
However, they're no doubt among the best. One thing's for sure: they're freakishly amazing considering their size.

You should seriously consider the D7000 as well. Those are seriously great cans too with less impact on the wallet.

Mar 17, 2010 at 12:17 AM Post #12 of 78
I got ED8 without listen it before, and lucky I like it very much. IMO this headphone made a balance between SQ and enjoyment. Not yet get any chance to try T1, but HD800 is not my cup of tea.

Mar 17, 2010 at 1:55 AM Post #13 of 78
I also have been quite impressed with the Ed8. They sound excellent, and isolate really well. They're reasonably easy to drive, although they do sound better with a really good amp. I don't think they're quite as good across the board as the Beyer T1 or the HD800, but they are small, closed and easy drive, versus the open, big, and not so easy to drive T1 and HD800.

I've started to think the Ed 8 sound better than either the D7000 or the DX1000, but I haven't had them quite long enough to say that I feel that way for sure.

Mar 17, 2010 at 2:08 AM Post #15 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also have been quite impressed with the Ed8. They sound excellent, and isolate really well. They're reasonably easy to drive, although they do sound better with a really good amp. I don't think they're quite as good across the board as the Beyer T1 or the HD800, but they are small, closed and easy drive, versus the open, big, and not so easy to drive T1 and HD800.

I've started to think the Ed 8 sound better than either the D7000 or the DX1000, but I haven't had them quite long enough to say that I feel that way for sure.

evil_smiley.gif
Haha. It would seem that the Ed8's reputation has moved up a notch on HeadFi. So influential is your opinion Skylab.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back