Ultrasone Edition 8 amp recommendation
Nov 17, 2011 at 5:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

negev

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I've cracked and ordered a pair of Edition 8s :)  Really can't wait to hear them, but my primary source is an iPhone so I'm wondering if it would be worth getting an amp to keep at work that will bring out the best in them while I'm coding.  I know the iphone dock's line-out is better than the headphone socket.

What would be the best amp to use with these?  Doesn't necessarily need to be portable or run on batteries as I'm very unlikely to bother carrying an amp around with me all the time.

Thanks!

Nov 17, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #2 of 10
What's your price range?

You also need to request a moderator to move this over to the amps forum.

Nov 17, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #3 of 10
Oh, yeah I guess that's probably a good idea.  Hello mods, would you kindly move this? :)

Price range.. hmm... well I spent over £1000 on the headphones, depends how much difference the amp will make.  I'm willing to pay a bit for something decent if it's really going to have a noticeable impact on the sound.

Nov 17, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #5 of 10
Well, here's what I did. Seeing as how some of the best portable amps rival the full desktop versions, I bought a P-51 Mustang from Ray Samuels Audio so I would have the option to bring it with me if I so chose. 

Check out this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/214588/review-portable-amp-roundup-56-portable-amps-reviewed-and-compared-final-update-12-20-10-added-rsa-sr-71b

The owner of the thread thought the P-51 has the best synergy with the E8 (which he owns) of any portable amp he's heard. 

NOW, having said that, I am purchasing the Burson HA-160D for my own Edition 8 for home use. It's a great value if you don't have a DAC. The DAC is more than decent, and the amp is an incredible value. Only a few amps better it, and they cost much more. It's a very good entry combo into truly high-end audio. Another E8 owner purchased the amp only and loved it so much that he shifted his goals and priorities of upcoming purchases from a new pair of high-end phones he was thinking about purchasing, to upgrading his DAC. The Burson for him really made the E8 sing, but it was revealing of his source/DAC - which is why the the HA-160D DAC/Amp combo is a fantastic deal. 

Nov 17, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
fiio e6 30$, fiio e7 DAC 70$, both are cheap but good options. Get the L1 cable from fiio too.

The Edition 8 scales nicely with a good amp, though it's great unamped. The fiio stuff will be a marginal upgrade from an iPhone. If you spent some money on your phones, and you're not broke, treat your ears and your headphones to something that will make some magic!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back