Ultrasone Edition 15 headphones.. Love them or hate them...
Oct 26, 2023 at 11:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Redwingnine

100+ Head-Fier
It has been an interesting journey with headphones. I've started and stopped a number of times, getting in and out of the hobby. I have owned a number of high end setups (Stax/KGSSHV), Focal Stellia with various headphone amps, JPS Abyss 1266/ Diana, Dan Clark Ether 2, Audeze LCD-3, Chord TT2, etc.

I have to state that the Ultrasone Edition 15 cans, IMHO, sound better than of the above cans I've listed. The current setup with the Ultrasone cans are either a Chord Hugo TT ( a very underrated headphone setup), or a Kluege OTL headphone amp (With a Bendix 6080 and RCA Red Base 5691 tube compliment). I have both the open back and closed back versions of the Edition 15, and whilst I prefer the open back version slightly, the closed back version sometimes is better when not wanting to disturb others.

The S-Logic EX works! Very well, IMHO. As previously stated, these cans sound more musical than any of the above cans listed. The Edition 15 cans really are an excellent match with Chord DAC/Headphone amps. I think Tyrell poisoned a lot of headphone enthusiasts with his terrible review of the Ultrasone 10. Over the top, IMHO.

Do not be afraid to audition the Edition 15 cans. They are an excellent option in the world of high end headphones, especially second hand. Would like to see others observations, both positive and negative.

Oct 26, 2023 at 11:21 PM Post #2 of 5
I have the Edition Eleven and have owned two cheaper ones. Ultrasone is highly underrated, IMHO, I recommend them whenever appropriate.

Oct 27, 2023 at 1:00 AM Post #3 of 5
I had Edition 15 few years ago but I upgraded them to Ultrasone Tribute 7. Ed15 was great headphones but midbass was a little bit too muddy. T7 are perfect: powerful sound with tight bass and awesome dynamics, soundstage better than in my Utopias, very good resolution and musicality… Indeedgreat synergy with Chord equipment. I recommend you to try this model :)

Oct 27, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #4 of 5
I have the Edition Eleven and have owned two cheaper ones. Ultrasone is highly underrated, IMHO, I recommend them whenever appropriate.

I had Edition 15 few years ago but I upgraded them to Ultrasone Tribute 7. Ed15 was great headphones but midbass was a little bit too muddy. T7 are perfect: powerful sound with tight bass and awesome dynamics, soundstage better than in my Utopias, very good resolution and musicality… Indeedgreat synergy with Chord equipment. I recommend you to try this model :)
Thanks for the advice. I suspect finding one won't be easy. For me, the midbass with the 15's is fine with the Chord Hugo TT. The real thing that makes the Edition 15 is the midrange. One of the very best I've come across to date.

Feb 3, 2024 at 11:29 AM Post #5 of 5
Thanks for the advice. I suspect finding one won't be easy. For me, the midbass with the 15's is fine with the Chord Hugo TT. The real thing that makes the Edition 15 is the midrange. One of the very best I've come across to date.
Hello sir, i am really curious with the ed 15. since i am still on searching of my first summit fi headphone, i need to consider all options. I love the ultrasones but i know they have some quirkiness. Since you have some abyss headphone, can you share some comparison between the abyss and the ed 15?
i dont have access to ultrasone right now but The Abyss Diana MR is actually on my top list of summit-fi headphone that i have ever tried. If the ed 15 is at least comparable technically to the MR i might consider to get the 15.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back