Ultrasone DJ1 Pro vs. Audio Technica PRO700MK2 - Quest for the best Sound Quality
Mar 23, 2012 at 2:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

Bag3l

Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi,

I've gone on an extremely long and confusing trek on the internet, and I've finally narrowed my choices down to the following two headphones: Ultrasone DJ1 PRO vs. Audio Technica ATH-PRO700MK2 headphones.

Originally I was leaning towards the AT because of the widely lauded mids and highs along with magnificent bass response, but after reading up on the Ultrasone DJ1 PRO, I've seen people saying that it has an amazing sound stage, and has absolutely magnificent clarity. Both apparently isolate very well, but I am unable to decide which one would be better for me. I was originally leaning towards the Pioneer HDJ-2000, but have been put off by the often bad review of them. 

What does Head-Fi think? 

Please, no other suggestions of other headphones because I've looked at them and I have my own reasons for not wanting to purchase them (Unless you have a seriously good reason why another pair of cans significantly trumps these two.) 

As Requested, I will be listing my usage:

Listening Habits: In the Dorms, On the go. I don't care if it's too heavy, I'm not a wuss. I will also be DJing at house parties. 
Music Genres: Electro House, Moombahton, Prog. House, House, Hip Hop, Rap, Piano, Dubstep
Games: Yes, but not hardcore.
Movies: Yes.
Source: iPhone 4s or HP dv6t QE w/ Beats Audio (Gimmicks ftw).
Additional Amplification: Not at the moment, but will buy if neccesary. 

Mar 23, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #2 of 34
Heya,

Best sound quality? Neither of those. The Ultrasones are metallic sounding. The PRO700MK2 are muddy/bassy, too much in a way that is not elegant.

I would put you on the Beyer DT770 or AudioTechnica A900X, or even the Brainwavz HM5 or AKG K550.

But what are you looking for in a headphone? What drew you to the Ultrasone/PRO700MK2?

Very best

Mar 23, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #3 of 34

Quote:
Heya,

Best sound quality? Neither of those. The Ultrasones are metallic sounding. The PRO700MK2 are muddy/bassy, too much in a way that is not elegant.

I would put you on the Beyer DT770 or AudioTechnica A900X, or even the Brainwavz HM5 or AKG K550.

But what are you looking for in a headphone? What drew you to the Ultrasone/PRO700MK2?

Very best

They drew me in because I would like them to use while studying and while DJing, both which require superior isolation. I would get open-backed headphones but it would be a bother to others and to myself because as a student, I'm quite often in a public or very noisy environment where I cannot enjoy open headphones. 

Mar 23, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #4 of 34
I have compared DJ1 Pro with Pro 750 and HFI580, I think DJ1 Pro is not metallic sounding at all.

Quote:
Heya,

Very best

Mar 23, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #5 of 34

Quote:
I have compared DJ1 Pro with Pro 750 and HFI580, I think DJ1 Pro is not metallic sounding at all.

Some people seem to find Ultrasones in general metallic sounding, but that's a generalization. Others don't find them metallic at all. I find that different Ultrasone models have different signatures, which taken in consideration that different materials are used for the drivers of different models, easily explains that, but they're far less metallic than some people make them to be.

It would be easier to make recommendations if you posted listening habits, music genres, whether you play games or not, and if you watch movies. Also, the gear you're using is also important, as in source type and quality, and if additional amplification will be used.

Mar 23, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #6 of 34
I'm being a total hypocrite for doing this, but The Sound Professionals have told me that they can mod the Original, Limited Edition, and White versions of the Audio Technica ATH-M50 so that it has DETACHABLE cables! Should I just spring for those and forget about these headphones in general? 

Mar 23, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #7 of 34

Quote:
Some people seem to find Ultrasones in general metallic sounding, but that's a generalization. Others don't find them metallic at all. I find that different Ultrasone models have different signatures, which taken in consideration that different materials are used for the drivers of different models, easily explains that, but they're far less metallic than some people make them to be.

It would be easier to make recommendations if you posted listening habits, music genres, whether you play games or not, and if you watch movies. Also, the gear you're using is also important, as in source type and quality, and if additional amplification will be used.

Here you go: 

Listening Habits: In the Dorms, On the go. I don't care if it's too heavy, I'm not a wuss. I will also be DJing at house parties. 
Music Genres: Electro House, Moombahton, Prog. House, House, Hip Hop, Rap, Piano, Dubstep
Games: Yes, but not hardcore.
Movies: Yes.
Source: iPhone 4s or HP dv6t QE w/ Beats Audio (Gimmicks ftw).
Additional Amplification: Not at the moment, but will buy if neccesary. 

Mar 23, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #9 of 34

Quote:
How far can you stretch your budget?

Around $300. Originally I was planning on buying Audio Technica PRO700MK Anniversary Editions, but the US stock has run dry... I ordered it too late. Originally the price was about $300 (total) so I'd say around there. 

Mar 23, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #10 of 34
You might find the ATH-PRO700MK2 a bit muddy, lacking more clarity than either the DJ1 or the DJ1 Pro. Keep in mind that the DJ1 have more bass presence than the DJ1 Pro, which might be useful for DJing, and don't butcher the rest of the frequency range like the ATH-PRO700MK2.

If you can stretch your budget up to $300, you might want to consider the Pioneer HDJ-2000, and if you look around, you might find a good deal on the Ultrasone Pro 900 for little over $300, but that's not particularly easy to find at that price.

Mar 23, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #11 of 34

Quote:
You might find the ATH-PRO700MK2 a bit muddy, lacking more clarity than either the DJ1 or the DJ1 Pro. Keep in mind that the DJ1 have more bass presence than the DJ1 Pro, which might be useful for DJing, and don't butcher the rest of the frequency range like the ATH-PRO700MK2.

If you can stretch your budget up to $300, you might want to consider the Pioneer HDJ-2000, and if you look around, you might find a good deal on the Ultrasone Pro 900 for little over $300, but that's not particularly easy to find at that price.

I was told that people sprung for the DJ1 Pro after going for the Pioneers. I think that was based purely on the people who also used their headphones for casual listening too aside from DJing. I understand that the HDJ-2000's are obviously pure DJ headphones and provide ample flat response but apparently in terms of casual listening, the DJ1 Pro reign supreme. 

Can anyone tell me what this graph means? (Obviously it's a frequency response graph for the DJ1 Pro (Which is a re-badge of the PROline 550, and the HDJ-2000)

Mar 23, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #12 of 34
Frequency response graphs tell far less than you might think. Theoretically you could say that the HDJ-2000 would have both increased sub-bass and mid-bass, but there are plenty of reports on graphs showing info that just doesn't translate into real experiences. Also, some people reported that Headroom's graphs aren't always accurate.

Also, the Ultrasone DJ1 Pro is not the Proline 550, but the Pro 550, which is the replacement series for the old Proline, just like the DJ1 is the same headphone that the HFI-580, just with a different shell.

You want headphones that can handle all genres more or less the same but not in a stellar way or do you want specific usage and genres to be handled better?

Mar 23, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #13 of 34

Quote:
Frequency response graphs tell far less than you might think. Theoretically you could say that the HDJ-2000 would have both increased sub-bass and mid-bass, but there are plenty of reports on graphs showing info that just doesn't translate into real experiences. Also, some people reported that Headroom's graphs aren't always accurate.

Also, the Ultrasone DJ1 Pro is not the Proline 550, but the Pro 550, which is the replacement series for the old Proline, just like the DJ1 is the same headphone that the HFI-580, just with a different shell.

You want headphones that can handle all genres more or less the same but not in a stellar way or do you want specific usage and genres to be handled better?

I would assume that I want clarity and roominess when listening to Electronica-oriented music. 

Mar 23, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #15 of 34

Quote:
I would assume that I want clarity and roominess when listening to Electronica-oriented music. 

The Pioneers are surprisingly balanced, considering they're DJ headphones, with a slightly emphasized bass and a bit of a treble roll-off, which makes sense for their purpose, while maintaining quite good clarity.

Both the Ultrasone DJ1 and DJ1 Pro aren't as balanced, with the DJ1 Pro being the more balanced one and the DJ1 less balanced but with more prominent bass. They both have good clarity with slightly recessed mids, giving them a V shaped signature. They also cost significantly less than the Pioneers.

Since you're DJing, you also have to keep in mind you'll need additional isolation, so if you went with higher end headphones like the Ultrasone Pro 900, you would have to get leather pads as the stock velour pads leak too much for DJing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back