Ultrasone choice
May 17, 2012 at 6:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Pattyw7

New Head-Fier
Hi, first post here so sorry if it's in the wrin section.

So I am looking into getting new headphones and pretty much decided on Ultrasones, just don't know which ones. I have done a lot of research, in fact I would say too much as I'm more confused than when I started. The models I'm looking at are HFI 780, Pro 550 and Pro 750 (also considering ATH M50). What I mostly listen to is dubstep, dnb and other similar electronica, but I also sometimes listen to pop and rock and such stuff. I would also like to use these headphones for movies.

So for my needs, which would be the best?

May 17, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #2 of 14
Hi, first post here so sorry if it's in the wrin section.
So I am looking into getting new headphones and pretty much decided on Ultrasones, just don't know which ones. I have done a lot of research, in fact I would say too much as I'm more confused than when I started. The models I'm looking at are HFI 780, Pro 550 and Pro 750 (also considering ATH M50). What I mostly listen to is dubstep, dnb and other similar electronica, but I also sometimes listen to pop and rock and such stuff. I would also like to use these headphones for movies.
So for my needs, which would be the best?

The Ultrasones will definitely complement your music preferences. The 750's and 780's are going to be the two I'm going to focus on. Overall, the 750's are just a more refined version of the 780's. Both sound just about the same but I'd suggest the 750's over the 780's.
1: They're much more comfortable
2: Come with extras (hard case, replaceable earpads)
3: Removable cord

If you want to save the money though, the 780's aren't bad at all.

Also consider the M-Audio Q40

May 17, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #3 of 14
Could you go an extra mile and grab a used Pro 900?
Shouldn't cost more than $100, and for dubstep and eletronic, it is definately the best choice, by far.

I find the Pro 750 an excellent headphone - and for me it is a better all rounder than the Pro 900.
But if you're going to listen only to very bass demanding genres (namely dubstep and electronic), no headphone trumps the Pro 900.

Either way, be sure to get an amp such as the Fiio E11!

Cheers,
Stefano

May 18, 2012 at 2:31 AM Post #4 of 14
Could you go an extra mile and grab a used Pro 900?
Shouldn't cost more than $100, and for dubstep and eletronic, it is definately the best choice, by far.

I find the Pro 750 an excellent headphone - and for me it is a better all rounder than the Pro 900.
But if you're going to listen only to very bass demanding genres (namely dubstep and electronic), no headphone trumps the Pro 900.

Either way, be sure to get an amp such as the Fiio E11!

Cheers,
Stefano

I did look at the Pro 900, but for some reason believed it was a lot more expensive. Found it for only 80€ more than the Pro 750. Will definitely consider it. But you say the Pro 750 is a better all rounder? How so?

The Ultrasones will definitely complement your music preferences. The 750's and 780's are going to be the two I'm going to focus on. Overall, the 750's are just a more refined version of the 780's. Both sound just about the same but I'd suggest the 750's over the 780's.
1: They're much more comfortable
2: Come with extras (hard case, replaceable earpads)
3: Removable cord
If you want to save the money though, the 780's aren't bad at all.
Also consider the M-Audio Q40

The comfort and removable cord are one of the reasons I was leaning towards the Pro. Just wasn't sure about how it sounds compared to the HFI. But now with the 900 in the mix, I'm even more confused.

May 18, 2012 at 4:05 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:
I did look at the Pro 900, but for some reason believed it was a lot more expensive. Found it for only 80€ more than the Pro 750. Will definitely consider it. But you say the Pro 750 is a better all rounder? How so?

I always considered myself a basshead.
But after getting different headphones, I find the Pro 900 too bassy when listening to music other than electronic or 'eletronic-based' (let's say Depeche Mode for example).

I listen mostly to classic and progressive rock (AC/DC, Rush, Scorpions), and I don't think that the super bass of the Pro 900 fits these music styles - and I really cannot enjoy them with the Pro 900 as much as I do with the Pro 750, which has much more foward mids, less mettalic highs and a still kicky bass.

But keep in mind that if you do listen to a lot of dubstep, you won't find any headphone like the Pro 900. It extends waaaaay low, and when the drop comes, it is awesome!
Again, eletronic is unbelivable good with them. I'm keeping mine forever only to listen to this genre.
I've also got a Denon D5000, which is a basshead can, and it doesn't match the Pro 900s subbass and kick.
For me, the 900s are eletronic kings.

Hope I helped you!

May 18, 2012 at 4:06 AM Post #6 of 14
I don't like Pro 900s soundstage for movies/games and would prefer the 2900. For EDM it's definitely the best choice unless you go Sig Pro. :D

May 18, 2012 at 5:50 AM Post #7 of 14
Coming from the AKG K 701, I consider the Ultrasone PRO 750 plenty bassy already. The velour earcups on the Ultrasones might be too small for big ears. I liked the PRO 650 better in that regard (same diameter, but a bit more space inside with the faux leather).

The genres you like most don't automatically make you a basshead. Just in case you don't like it over the top, try listening first or get a money back gaurantee. Especially if you go with the PRO 900.

May 18, 2012 at 7:48 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

I always considered myself a basshead.
But after getting different headphones, I find the Pro 900 too bassy when listening to music other than electronic or 'eletronic-based' (let's say Depeche Mode for example).

I listen mostly to classic and progressive rock (AC/DC, Rush, Scorpions), and I don't think that the super bass of the Pro 900 fits these music styles - and I really cannot enjoy them with the Pro 900 as much as I do with the Pro 750, which has much more foward mids, less mettalic highs and a still kicky bass.

But keep in mind that if you do listen to a lot of dubstep, you won't find any headphone like the Pro 900. It extends waaaaay low, and when the drop comes, it is awesome!
Again, eletronic is unbelivable good with them. I'm keeping mine forever only to listen to this genre.
I've also got a Denon D5000, which is a basshead can, and it doesn't match the Pro 900s subbass and kick.
For me, the 900s are eletronic kings.

Hope I helped you!

Thanks! Your posts have been very helpful! One more question, how do the 750 and 900 work with movies and games? I have a speaker system at home that I normally use, but sometimes at night or when on the go it's good to have headphones for that.
Quote:
I don't like Pro 900s soundstage for movies/games and would prefer the 2900. For EDM it's definitely the best choice unless you go Sig Pro. :D

Unfortunately open headphones are a no go for me.
Quote:
Coming from the AKG K 701, I consider the Ultrasone PRO 750 plenty bassy already. The velour earcups on the Ultrasones might be too small for big ears. I liked the PRO 650 better in that regard (same diameter, but a bit more space inside with the faux leather).
The genres you like most don't automatically make you a basshead. Just in case you don't like it over the top, try listening first or get a money back gaurantee. Especially if you go with the PRO 900.

I already had a chance to try the 750 out, but that was the only one I could find at any store in my area. As for fit, it was good so should be good. Is the 650 still being sold? I can't find it on the Ultrasone website.

May 18, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #9 of 14
I live in Poland, so availability might be different for you. You'd have to ask a local Ultrasone dealer. In addition to the different earpads, the sound signature of the PRO 650 is closer to neutral than the PRO 750 (it has a more prominent midrange) .

May 18, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #10 of 14
I live in Poland, so availability might be different for you. You'd have to ask a local Ultrasone dealer. In addition to the different earpads, the sound signature of the PRO 650 is closer to neutral than the PRO 750 (it has a more prominent midrange) .

Contacted them and they said they don't have them anymore and don't feel like getting used ones.

On a different note, I'm looking at getting at amp for one of these headphones. Any of you used the E11 and/or E17 with these? After doing some research, and based on availability and price, I am set on those two.

May 20, 2012 at 3:41 AM Post #12 of 14
I like the Pro750 for movies better, because mids (hence voices) are more forward. On the other hand, background music, explosions/gunshots and imaging (as well as soundstage) are better on the 900.

The E11 drives them fully! I think it's a very nice piece for its proce. Never tried the E17 though.

Ultimately, you should choose based on how you like your bass. If you think that you won't mind the extra bass on other genres than rap and hiphop, go for the Pro 900 since it's overall a better headphonee (higher detail retrieval, better soundstage, more impactful bass). If you prefer a more versatile headphone, but that atill can handle bass very well, go for the 750.

May 20, 2012 at 8:28 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:
I like the Pro750 for movies better, because mids (hence voices) are more forward. On the other hand, background music, explosions/gunshots and imaging (as well as soundstage) are better on the 900.
The E11 drives them fully! I think it's a very nice piece for its proce. Never tried the E17 though.
Ultimately, you should choose based on how you like your bass. If you think that you won't mind the extra bass on other genres than rap and hiphop, go for the Pro 900 since it's overall a better headphonee (higher detail retrieval, better soundstage, more impactful bass). If you prefer a more versatile headphone, but that atill can handle bass very well, go for the 750.

Thanks a lot for your help, greatly appreciated! I finally found a store which has both the 750 and 900 in stock, so I will go try them out side by side tomorrow and decide then. Worst case scenario, I'll just flip a coin... 
biggrin.gif

May 21, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #14 of 14
"Thank you,  your order has been placed."
Went for the 750. The price of the 900 seems to have skyrocketed (went up by like 70$ everywhere I checked). Wish I would've clicked the buy button for it earlier. Ah well, I'm sure I'll be satisfied enough with the 750!

Edit: scratch that, I just found a used 900 ("like new") for a great price so quickly cancelled the 750!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back