Ultrasone, Audio Technica, Phiaton or V-Moda?
Feb 26, 2012 at 1:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

notyetknown

New Head-Fier
This is my first thread and I come in search of help. I've been looking for some good portable headphones for the past couple of months and have made remarkably little progress.

I need a bass-heavy pair of phones Under $200 (max) unamped that will fit a Large head.
My music preferences range from acoustic to rock to dubstep (see: Blackmill or Mt. Eden) although, admittedly I am becoming partial to the likes of American reggae (ie. Rebelution). So a fun SQ is called for.

i've narrowed things down to these 4 because they seem to be the most high school friendly. (aesthetically pleasing, less than ridiculous cord length, small enough for backpack storage)

Contenders:
Audio technica ATH-ES7 *
Ultarsone DJ1 Pro
V-Moda LP2
Phiaton ms300

*refurb on amazon for $80 or in white for $129

I find too many contradicting reviews for most of these cans and can't make up my mind on a clear winner. I definately need engaging Subbass and relaxed fit for my humongous head complete with glasses.
Source will be my HTC Aria, Zune HD, and maybe a Cowon iAudio 10 in the future.
I have enough iems and am looking for circumaural now.

Any help would be appreciated!

Feb 28, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for the suggestions. I checked out the Pioneers and I really like em. the reason I'm leaning toward these is because of this http://www.head-fi.org/t/567012/the-portable-bass-kings-the-pioneer-hdj500-vs-akg-518-le-vs-the-first-look-at-the-new-at-ws55-solid-bass (bigger bass) and for the removable cable.

Now the last question is, Are these comfortable on a massive head with glasses??
Since these are a little under my budget I'm confident that within a few weeks I could probably afford the WS55's also!

Feb 28, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #4 of 5

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions. I checked out the Pioneers and I really like em. the reason I'm leaning toward these is because of this http://www.head-fi.org/t/567012/the-portable-bass-kings-the-pioneer-hdj500-vs-akg-518-le-vs-the-first-look-at-the-new-at-ws55-solid-bass (bigger bass) and for the removable cable.

Now the last question is, Are these comfortable on a massive head with glasses??
Since these are a little under my budget I'm confident that within a few weeks I could probably afford the WS55's also!

Probably will. The Pioneers are more supra-aural than circumaural, so they may work with glasses for those people who have big heads. I've worn sunglasses without much discomfort with them on before. Definitely very bassy cans though. Listening to rock usually results in the bass guitar becoming quite prominent. Durability, also not too bad. I've since passed mine onto a friend though, but they're still in one piece after getting shoved in my cramped backpack for a semester. Just don't try to break them, they're not built like VMODAs. That's what the 2000 is for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back