Ultrasone 900 anxiety
Mar 22, 2010 at 10:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

end0rphine

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, I wanted to clarify my current headphones with the forum.

I just received my pair of ultrasone pro 900 headphones (first audiophile grade headphones) today, along with my musiland 02 dac/amp. I'm currently using the musiland as a dac and amp at the moment until I can purchase a standalone amp.

Once receiving the pair, I quickly setup everything including the external sound card, although it hit me when actually trying to listen to anything on the computer - I couldn't hear anything on 50% volume. Raising the volume to 85-95%, some of the music suddenly became audible, although of extraordinarily atrocious quality (this coming from apple ipod earphones). Voices resonated (literally echoed slightly), and sounded very far off and faint. Music quality seemed to waver by itself (as if someone was automatically adjusting the volume).

Side: Also tried opening up a game of counter strike source. Gunshots were loud, yet sounded like utter crap. Footsteps could not be heard either (including my own), once again at 85-95% volume.

I dashed towards my high-end speaker setup in the living room and plugged the 900s into that and attempted to listen to some music. Again the same effect. Listening to movies sounded worse, wherein I couldnt actually hear any voices, yet non-digetic sound and music was fairly audible (this is at 100% volume).

Note: I also found that if I plug the detachable cable into the headphone alittle too far, sound will only enter into the can that it is plugged into i.e the left can. Unplugging it slightly out of the socket produces sound out of both cans, yet at this point, there isnt much holding it into the socket itself, and feels like its merely dangling there.

I'm at a loss here guys. I currently have the pair under some white/pink noise in an last ditch effort to "burn-in", yet I did not expect this level of atrocity at any level. Any suggestions?

SOLVED

Reason: I'm dumb.

Mar 22, 2010 at 11:22 AM Post #2 of 21
Make sure the cables are tightly screwed in.

Mar 22, 2010 at 11:39 AM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Make sure the cables are tightly screwed in.

The cables are screw in?!

I'm gona have this another try.

EDIT: Give that man a beer! Thanks shahrose, of all things, screw in cables lol.

Mar 22, 2010 at 11:51 AM Post #4 of 21
lol it´s so funny how many get caught with this. Look up KeeS mod to take it to another level later on.

Mar 22, 2010 at 12:14 PM Post #5 of 21
Unbelievable.
normal_smile .gif
I think people get over excited. I believe the last guy who had the same problem sent the headphone back and just wrote them off. And yes, burn-in with pink noise will solve most headphone problems.
biggrin.gif

Mar 22, 2010 at 12:47 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by MomijiTMO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah it's a standard issue with Ultrasones
tongue.gif

It affects dumbasses that have never screwed in a screw before

Mar 22, 2010 at 1:02 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by zenpunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unbelievable.
normal_smile .gif
I think people get over excited. I believe the last guy who had the same problem sent the headphone back and just wrote them off. And yes, burn-in with pink noise will solve most headphone problems.
biggrin.gif

Yeh I suspect it was over excitement with a hint of stupidity. Thing is, I never would have garnered the thought that it was screw in as I'm always cautious of twisting plugs once they're already socketed
frown.gif

Mar 22, 2010 at 8:43 PM Post #10 of 21
Don't worry mate, I'm sure I would have been freaking out if it had happened to me and I had not yet discovered Head-Fi or other forums. In my opinion, it's a bit of a dodgy design.

Mar 22, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #11 of 21
haha gotta love threads like these
tongue.gif
Anyway, are you going to do the KeeS mod?
wink.gif
The 750 and Pro 900 need like 400 hours on them to sound as good as they can afaik. I wouldn't suggest burning them in for 400 hours without listening to them.

Mar 22, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #13 of 21
Nope. 400 hours on the second, or else they will have even worse sound than before. /sarcasm

Mar 22, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #15 of 21
Same
tongue.gif

Hmm, look at that poor ALO-780 sitting in that corner over there...
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back