Ultrasone 780 and iPhone 3g
Aug 17, 2009 at 8:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

theoaklandraider

Head-Fier
I recieved my Ultrasone 780's last week and they sound great! I can only imagine when they are completely burned in, and the recable is in place!

However, the question that I have is this...

I've read in these forums that people are powering there cans right out the iPhone 3G, and bypassing the amp.
I started using my 780's with my Fiio E5, and was considering purchaing a Tomahawk, but since reading those posts, I connect directly to my iPhone.

Is anyone else doing this with good results?
The reason why I ask is because I'm new to amps and I'm not sure if I'm missing out on some sweet sound... lol.

Thanks!

Aug 17, 2009 at 9:15 PM Post #2 of 6
Yeah you definitely want to get an amp for these, DAC too unless you have a really great source? I've tried these directly out of av710/iPod/Zune/laptop and the difference is night and day, they sound flat and unresolvable without, plug them into an amp and release the beast!
780smile.gif

Aug 17, 2009 at 11:42 PM Post #3 of 6
I've been doing some listening this evening going from a Mac mini to a Corda Arietta amp. I have the HFI-680, which are 75Ω. For kicks I tried them direct from my iPhone 3GS. The raw character is the same, and they're enjoyable enough without the amp. My desktop amp does provide more body, and slightly tighter bass. The biggest improvement was in the smoothness of the highs. The iPhone had no trouble playing loudly, just with less refinement.

The HFI-780 are 35Ω and may fare a bit better. It sounds like you're enjoying them, so don't sweat the amp. However, I do recommend picking up an amp when it's affordable/convenient, to "release the beast."

Aug 17, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by 12thgear /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been doing some listening this evening going from a Mac mini to a Corda Arietta amp. I have the HFI-680, which are 75Ω. For kicks I tried them direct from my iPhone 3GS. The raw character is the same, and they're enjoyable enough without the amp. My desktop amp does provide more body, and slightly tighter bass. The biggest improvement was in the smoothness of the highs. The iPhone had no trouble playing loudly, just with less refinement.

The HFI-780 are 35Ω and may fare a bit better. It sounds like you're enjoying them, so don't sweat the amp. However, I do recommend picking up an amp when it's affordable/convenient, to "release the beast."

I wouldn't pay attention to the Ω it's baloney especially on deciding if an amp is required. The iPhone DAC is already worse than the Zune DAC and well I'm betting if your comparing iPhone out to your mac mini out 12thgear then you are seriously missing out. The difference should be quite startling, I found the biggest difference to be separation in music, bass tightness and impact...

Aug 18, 2009 at 12:09 AM Post #5 of 6
A nice DAC in due time, once I sort out my headphones. I'm just trying to point out to the OP that if he hasn't heard the Ultrasones with a good DAC and amp yet and still loves them, the only way to go is up. Things can only get better.

Also, while I have not heard a Zune, I can say that my 3GS does sound better than my 3G and my original. It does alright for itself. For people starting out or just wanting portable convenience they'll find a naked 3GS to be pretty decent.

Aug 18, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #6 of 6
Great advice! I'm guessing a Tomahawk amp can't hurt. I'll still get the recable first since I do think the headphones sound great already!

And based on everybodies comments, I'm guessing the Fiio E5 doesn't do it too much justice either then...?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back