Ultrasone 750/2500 OR Denon AH-D2000 for Electronica???
Oct 16, 2008 at 8:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Catharsis

500+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone. You've all been incredibly informative over the countless hours I've been researching headphones.

I currently have a pair of SR225s with a PA2V2 through a USB Dac (Creative) and consider it a great budget rig. I listen predominately to electronica (IDM, techno, ambient), but occasionally throw in some Radiohead or Floyd.

I'm looking to upgrade my headphones and although I've heard great things about the Dt880s, K701s, SA5000, and Stax for my music, I'm afraid I have to overhaul my entire rig for that, and I just want to spend ~$300ish (Canadian dollars), and that leaves me with 2 high-end phones that (to my understanding) require minimal amping.

The Denon AH-D2000, and the Ultrasone Prolines 750/2500. Which one should I choose?

I really need the following:

Soundstage (bigger = better)
Tight, accurate, slamming bass (not boomy and cloudy)
Articulate mids and highs (for all those synth lines)
Works well with my existing rig (USB Dac + PA2V2)
Works well with electronica (IDM, techno e.g. Aphex Twin, Boards of Canada)
Is less than $300ish (Canadian dollars), which the two cans above are

I would really appreciate your feedback on this matter. Thanks guys (and girls).

Oct 16, 2008 at 9:20 PM Post #4 of 20
can i come in with a question to? have k271s and wondering. Is the D2000 a fun headphone?

Oct 16, 2008 at 9:32 PM Post #5 of 20
i've heard nothing but people suggest that D2000s are a fun phone. They are certainly not laid back in any way.

In fact, I hear many people compare them to Grado's with better soundstage, instrument separation, bass quantity and extension.

Oct 16, 2008 at 9:42 PM Post #6 of 20
To my ears and with my gear, the D2000 were not fun/ toe-tapping enough.
I found the bass rather slow/ undefined, and the mids (vocals) recessed.

Oct 16, 2008 at 10:19 PM Post #7 of 20
hmm.you think Prolines 750 would be more fun Tiemen? I know grados are fun but i dont know if it fits the genre we are looking for?
( i also listning to aphex twin Catharsis
smily_headphones1.gif
).
and if they have enough bass to get the electronica "living"
biggrin.gif
??

Oct 16, 2008 at 10:40 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by HippieTom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmm.you think Prolines 750 would be more fun Tiemen? I know grados are fun but i dont know if it fits the genre we are looking for?
( i also listning to aphex twin Catharsis
smily_headphones1.gif
).
and if they have enough bass to get the electronica "living"
biggrin.gif
??

I'm sorry, I can't commend on Ultrasone and Grado, because I never heard them.
I owned the D2000. I think the D2000 bass is not tight and accurate enough, and the mids are not articulate, but slightly recessed. That is, to my taste.
And the music I listen to is rock/pop.
D2000 needs also good amping.

Oct 17, 2008 at 1:57 AM Post #9 of 20
Hmm...

Alot of people (I mean ALOT), have recommended the D2000 specifically for electronica. They've stated that it has a decent soundstage, controlled bass with good quantity, and is extremely detailed.

I've been collecting info on electronica-suited headphones and the resounding answers are as follows:

dt880,dtt770,dt990
Stax (many)
SA5000
Proline 750/2500
D2000
AKG501,601,701

But for obvious reasons, I'm going with a low impedance headphone that my PA2V2 can handle. That leaves out almost all of the above, especially considering most of them are +$600 when you factor in the amps that are required to drive them.

Oct 17, 2008 at 6:45 AM Post #13 of 20
I am on a similar journey in finding the right Electronica phones...I currently have the D2000 and I feel that they are somewhat slow for electronica...They are probably good for house but anything like trance or hard dance is too fast for the D2000 in my opinion.

I will most likely get myself either the Xone XD-53 or the Ultrasone 780 or the DJ1 pro...

Many recommend the SA5000 for electronica.

Oct 17, 2008 at 8:24 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solid Snake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I currently have the D2000 and I feel that they are somewhat slow for electronica...They are probably good for house but anything like trance or hard dance is too fast for the D2000 in my opinion.

I will most likely get myself either the Xone XD-53 or the Ultrasone 780 or the DJ1 pro...

Have been looking alot on the xone xd-53 and they seems to be great from the little reading i have found.
The only thing holding me back is the maximum input power :3,500mW. Have just orderd a little dot I+ to drive low impedance HPs but its 800mW max in 32ohm so i dont know if they match? im new to this game so if anyone know what that has to say please tell
wink.gif
If not the ultrasone might be an option.

Oct 17, 2008 at 11:21 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yukon Trooper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bass on the D2000's is not slow and undefined if you match them with the right amp.

That's why I wrote: "with my gear".
With the Musical Fidelity X-can V3, the sound of the D2000 was better than straight out of my Denon pre-amp. But still not that good.
There seems to be a general misconception that the Denon's are easy to drive. They're not IMHO.
But I wasn't willing to invest in a proper amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back