Ultrasone 750/2500 OR Denon AH-D2000 for Electronica???
Nov 22, 2008 at 2:33 AM Post #17 of 20

Nov 22, 2008 at 3:51 AM Post #18 of 20
I struggled making a decision on my first set of cans recently, and eventually pulled the trigger on some Denon D2k's. One of the biggest things that sold me on the Denon's seemed to react well to some upgrade the phones. Wooden cups and a recable can make them sound just as good, if not better than the pricier stock D5k's or even D7k's. I feel it's a great set of cans to grow into, which was why I pulled the trigger on them.

I primarily listen to some electronica, trance, house, industrial, but also enjoy music in other genre's and I think the D2k's fit the bill nicely. I always enjoyed nice deep clean bass, I can't imagine wanting more than what the D2k's can offer. Currently I'm powered off of a Yamaha receiver, as I eagerly wait for my HeadAmp Pico to arrive. I'm hoping for a nice improvement in sound, and will update the thread once I get to hear them with the DAC / amp combo.

I know I haven't heard any other high end phones, but I can say I'm pretty pleased with the Denon's. So much that I wouldn't think twice about choosing another phone if I could do it over again working with the same budget.

Cheers,

George

Nov 22, 2008 at 8:48 AM Post #19 of 20
The D2000's are not bad if you get them around $200, you can easily resale without much of a loss. And it will sound pretty decent, not too bad at all. But in the end I ended up selling them because they are generally slow, mids are recessed, and bass is bloated. And yes, I did the markl mode on my pair. I also found a lack of body in them, and synths were not textured as well as they are with say a 701 or a DT880. I would recommend going with a Beyerdynamic DT-880, 2003 model. I had the 600ohm 2005 version a bit ago and although they are super detailed and clean, they ultimately were too sterile and just plain cold for my tastes. The 2003 model can be purchased for $200 and under in the FS forums, there were a few that had popped up recently, one of which I purchased
biggrin.gif

The Denon's are not bad, but once you hear some of the other cans out there you see that they lack in some areas. I had them amped out of a X-can v8, which really cleared things up and took the bass deeper, and although much improved the Denon still retained its core problems.

Oh and my music tastes are pretty much the same, IDM, Techno, Electro, Downtempo, Ambient, Modern Classical... with some Classic Rock and Post Rock.

Have not heard the Ultrasone.

Dec 22, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #20 of 20
Bumping an 8 year old thread.

But Ultrasone is better than Denon for EDM. Bass is less bloated and everything is sharper and cleaner as a result. Ultrasones, to my ears, are made for EDM music with fast tight bass, great highs, imaging and soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back