Ultrasone 650 vs 900
Feb 1, 2010 at 1:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

bastogne

100+ Head-Fier
I am a proud owner of the Proline 650's. I have owned them for 4 years and they are the only serious headphones I have ever owned. I'm very curious about how the 900 would compare to the 650's.

I've peaked into a couple of the 900 threads, and all I've seen are comparisons to the 750, which doesn't really help me at all since I've never heard the 750.

I'm very curious to hear comparisons between the 650 and 900. I'm guessing the 900's will definitely be more detailed?

I keep hearing that the 900's are very bassy compared to the 750, but I'm curious how the bass compares to the 650, which from what i understand is also more bassy than the 750. So would they be on the same level?

I've thought about upgrading to the 750's before, but the lack of bass (from what I've read) is something that would bother me, so the 900's seem like the perfect upgrade as I like the 650's bass but am ready to step it up a level. How much better are they? Comparisons? Thanks.

Feb 1, 2010 at 2:27 AM Post #2 of 17
I can only speak on behalf of the Pro900's but once they are properly burnt in and Kees modded they are not a bassy headphone. When the music requires it they provide quality bass. The Pro900's have excellent clarity and detail.

Feb 1, 2010 at 6:13 AM Post #3 of 17
Pro 750 is not light on bass!. They are about right actually. Otherwise I do preferr the 900 over it except for that. But it depends what I listen to and my mood at the time how well I can tolerate the 900 bass quantity
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 1, 2010 at 6:17 AM Post #4 of 17
Some user's even prefer the PRO900 to the ED8 and ED9, don't ask me why. Must be one hell of a 'phone if it can be that darn good for the money! I got the ALO-780 instead though. Used it was $350usd, as cheap as $270 for the one with Vampire cable that just sold here. Anyway, I say go for the PRO 900 right away if you can afford it, they are going to please you that's for sure.

Feb 1, 2010 at 7:01 AM Post #6 of 17
The pro 900s have a similar thing going on to the gs-1000. They have a smiley frequency response, with the 900s being more extended in the bass and less exaggerated in the treble. This is in my experience from owning both and it is also shown here:
graphCompare.php

This kind of response makes these phones ideal for low volume listening.
On the other hand the pro 650 has similar exaggerated bass, but doesn't have the treble to balance it out. It is also very ragged, where the pro 900 and especially gs-1000 tend to be very smooth.
graphCompare.php

Feb 1, 2010 at 9:14 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by stang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some user's even prefer the PRO900 to the ED8 and ED9, don't ask me why. Must be one hell of a 'phone if it can be that darn good for the money! I got the ALO-780 instead though. Used it was $350usd, as cheap as $270 for the one with Vampire cable that just sold here. Anyway, I say go for the PRO 900 right away if you can afford it, they are going to please you that's for sure.

You are talking to me or what De Niro said. I haven´t got that many with me on that one though
wink.gif

Different headphones but the Pro 900 is more serious overall when you don´t get hit to hard by the basss that is. More transparent and much better soundstage, more detailed and revealing.

ED 8 is more of a fun headphone. Always interesting to listen to and a very sweet tonality about them. But as mentioned not transparent. I am attempting to get more into the coloured spectrum since I don´t think there is much chance to find any headphones to beat my speakers in term of soundstage, transparency etc and the 900 performs good enough while having superb PRaT.

So it depends on what you are after. If you want to forget you are wearing headphones ED 8 may not work for you. On the other hand the Ed 8 have a better judged bass boost. I never freak out on it like I can on the 900 at times even though there seem to be more definition in the 900 bass and it goes lower with my ears.

Feb 2, 2010 at 4:16 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The PL/Pro 650 are the most balanced hps in the Ultrasones pro series, The Pro900 have minimum of 9db boost on the bass.

this scares the **** out of me...

do the same people who dislike the bass boost on the 900, dislike the 650?

i might not be as critical as a lot of you guys. i've never once been dissatisfied with the 650, even though many people can't handle that bass.

well, i think i'm just going to spring for the 900's, if worst comes to worst, i can sell them, get a pair of 650's again and pocket the money. it's win/win

Feb 2, 2010 at 4:19 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by bastogne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this scares the **** out of me...

do the same people who dislike the bass boost on the 900, dislike the 650?

i might not be as critical as a lot of you guys. i've never once been dissatisfied with the 650, even though many people can't handle that bass.

well, i think i'm just going to spring for the 900's, if worst comes to worst, i can sell them, get a pair of 650's again and pocket the money. it's win/win

Or just to check the Kees mod.

Feb 13, 2010 at 1:07 AM Post #12 of 17
I just want to bring up something that I think is fairly important for prospective buyers.

The headroom frequency graph seems to be turning a lot of people away.

If those measurements are taken from brand new headphones without burn-in, then I think it's a little unfair to base your decision on those graphs, when you can hear from pretty much every 900 owner that the bass gets tamed with burn-in.

I just got mine in the mail today, and to be honest, the sound out of the box is quite terrible to my ears. I'm at work now and have them burning in at home. I expected them to at least sound better than the proline 650's out of the box, but I really don't think it does.

Feb 13, 2010 at 9:10 AM Post #15 of 17
Personally, the PRO 900 are far too harsh without a bit of a mod. The highs were more notable than the bass, and they pierced far too frequently in songs. The mod does help immensely, but you do lose a tad bit of resolution in the highs. Granted I am very sensitive to highs, so take what I say with a grain of salt. I much prefer my PRO 550 over the 900, but definitely want to hear what is going on between the 550 and 900. The 550 just sound too HFI-ish, to warrant owning them in addition to HFI-580 or HFI-780.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back