Ultrasone 2200 Ule recabling
May 5, 2007 at 1:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Valius

New Head-Fier
Hy, I have Ultrasone 2200 ule headphones, and recently discovered that the stock cable is defective. Previously I thought that I was some kind of paranoic
blink.gif
: I coudn't listen to headph. while walking in my room because from time to time it was slight electric discharge to my left ear, pretty annoying. While listening music I could hear crackles, but I thought because of imperfect tracks. Yesterday I just pluged my headph. to 0404usb and stood still ( music wasn't playing) - everything was OK, then I just shook the headph. cable - it started to crackle and I got another electric discharge to my left ear. So should I buy another stock cable or try other companies cables? Thanks...

May 5, 2007 at 4:29 PM Post #2 of 2
Hi, the first step would be to make certain that the cable you do have is properly connected to the headphones.

From The Missing Manual: A User's Guide To Ultrasone:

Ultrasone Threaded-Connector Cable (Headphone Cord)

On the majority of its higher range models (all PROlines & HFI-2200 ULE), Ultrasone uses a proprietary 3.5mm threaded-connector cable that terminates in either a 6.3mm or 3.5mm plug, depending on the model or application.

The secured-screw design of the cable reflects Ultrasone’s heritage in the studio and professional audio sectors, where maintaining connectivity under potentially adverse conditions is crucial for success. Since a simple plug-into-jack arrangement could easily pull free under stress, this threaded-connection serves to assure a secure interface.

So the first challenge facing any new Ultrasone user is to achieve the proper connection interface between the 3.5mm male-threaded plug on the upper cable and the corresponding female-threaded jack into the bottom of the left ear-cup.

0020362500_795.jpg

PROline 2500 with detail of threaded 3.5mm cable plug and ear-cup jack

Of course, this can be easier said than done, since we have already seen quite a few instances of owners reporting sound dropouts, channel and tonal imbalances, and other intermittent behaviors with their recently acquired Ultrasones due to improperly connected cables.

Grasp the plug by the two flat, tapered flanges on either side of the plastic outer sleeve with the thumb and forefinger of one hand while holding the left ear-cup with the other. Align the plug with the jack and then push firmly inward just as you would any regular plug. As you feel the plug moving past the detent (catch), you will hear a solid “click”. The plug should now rest flush against the ear-cup of its own accord without any gap. Maintaining pressure toward the jack begin to rotate the plug clockwise. You should feel the threads engage and continue until reasonably tight (approximately 4 ½ rotations). Take care not to over-tighten.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back