Ultrason Edition 9 newbie
Aug 8, 2007 at 4:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

randerson3024

Owns the ultimate portable rig
I just bought a pair of Ultrasone Edition 9's. Any helpful hints from experienced users?

Cheers,

Bob

Aug 8, 2007 at 4:12 PM Post #2 of 11
1/ You can bend the center section of the headband (while holding on only to that center section!) to tighten or loosen, but don't for a while until you get used to them.

2/ When you take them out of the box, always take the cord out first. If you pick up the phones first, the wires between the junction and the cups picks up a full turn of twist every time, and soon you have a mess.

3/ I haven't noticed a huge difference with burn-in, but they have gone through some rough spots. When you can't stand to hear them, hook them up to your radio or something for a couple of days to push through that.

4/ Tell us how the Grace M902 works with them. No one's tried that yet and reported back, and that's why I almost, but didn't, buy the M902.

Aug 8, 2007 at 5:37 PM Post #4 of 11
They were too cramped for my (small!) ears. Sovkiller's ear pad mod was perfect for me. Very huge improvement for my enjoyment of the E9's. See my post about it by clicking "Ultrasone Edition 9" in my sig.

Aug 8, 2007 at 6:46 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by thread /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They were too cramped for my (small!) ears. Sovkiller's ear pad mod was perfect for me. Very huge improvement for my enjoyment of the E9's. See my post about it by clicking "Ultrasone Edition 9" in my sig.

Do you have any pieces of that PSU cable you used left? Looks like I might need to join the modding club soon... (damn you head-fi).

Aug 8, 2007 at 7:00 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mindless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For starters: use them.

The consensus from the owners says the opposite. Don't wear them for the first 400 hours of playback.

Aug 8, 2007 at 8:50 PM Post #8 of 11
They will sound great out of the box, just better and worst between that time. So if you don't want to worry just burn them in and then listen. But I enjoyed the trip.

Aug 10, 2007 at 11:39 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They will sound great out of the box, just better and worst between that time. So if you don't want to worry just burn them in and then listen. But I enjoyed the trip.

How long did they take to burn in properly?

Aug 10, 2007 at 12:11 PM Post #10 of 11
300 Hours for me.

If you want some cord to put in the cups pm me your address and I will send you some white power cord cut to size free. I have heaps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdarnton /img/forum/go_quote.gif

3/ I haven't noticed a huge difference with burn-in, but they have gone through some rough spots. When you can't stand to hear them, hook them up to your radio or something for a couple of days to push through that.

If they have gone from "can't stand to hear them" to acceptable by burning in, I would call that a "huge difference".
icon10.gif

Aug 10, 2007 at 12:47 PM Post #11 of 11
As others have stated, give them plenty of burn-in. They sounded pretty decent out of the box, but IMO 300-400 hours is needed for them to really sing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back