Ultramodded Yuin PK1 - Fully Deconstructed and Rebuilt
Feb 6, 2009 at 1:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

EFN

Headphoneus Supremus
From the first time I received my YUIN PK1, I hated the cavernous sounding mids. Well to be fair I liked the rest of the sound spectrum specially the MS-1 like highs and lush bottoms.

My PK-1 was meant to be modded from day1, I have planned for it long before I purchased them from The-One for a very fair price. Less than 20 hours in them so I'd keep the sonic talk later.

I have posted a tutorial before on ER-4 recabling. Now feast your eyes on PK-1 deconstruction and intensive recabling work.

- Step 1 begin with prying open the driver enclosure. It wasn't easy and if you have aweak heart chances you will fail miserably...and probably rupture the transducers in the process. A good shove using small jeweler flat head did the trick. But some cosmetic damage along the sides are unavoidable since they are made of plastic.
DriverDisassembledSideFront.jpg

- A quick desolder work detached the driver unit easily. The transducer unit all naked
DriverDisassembled.jpg

- The mod begin with the driver front cover. A-LA Kramer, I opted to add one generous hole right in the middle. Flathead jeweler did the drilling. Use Exacto knife to refine the edges
HoledDriverFront.jpg

HoledDriverBack.jpg

- Just like my Ultramodded ER-4S, I opted to use my favorite 0.2mm 5N Solid Core teflon insulated pure silver meant specifically for Audio (Octave Audio PJ, Malaysia). The wires were custom ordered from Germany. Because they are quite pricey, I decided to make a 1M recabling in total length, which means I need 4M - one wire for each L/R and grounds. They are then sleeved with soft 1mm heatshrinks.

CableReadyToHeatshrink.jpg

- The Y split were set at 0.5M each and then I covered the joint with masking tape which will later will be heatshrinked as well.
PlasteredCable.jpg

* The lower part where they all converge into one cable, I sleeved them with 1mm heatshrink first and then another layer with 2mm to beef up the size and improve the flexibility
* I used my cigarette lighter to work the heatshrinks

- At the converged end, a 3.5mm plug was soldered. Complete with hot glue insulation for stronger strain relief support. Those tiny wires don't respond well to jolts so this is a MUST.

SolderedPlug.jpg

InsulatedPlug.jpg

XXCompletedPlug.jpg

* Mundorf GMBH silver solder was used - I am a silver junkie
wink.gif

- Now that the wires are all sleeved properly, it's time to work the drivers
DrivercableJoined.jpg

StrainRelief.jpg

* IMPORTANT, a knot must be placed right at the inner stem of the driver to provide strain relief

SolderedDriver.jpg

* Using a proper support, soldering was easy. Just make sure the wires are correctly aligned

Once both side has been soldered, the driver unit and the front cover were reunited - no glue for now because there may be a need to readjust something. I had in mind of adding a tiny foam behind the transducer to dampen bass - which hopefully will tighten them even more.

The finished product:
TheWHOLEThingNEW.jpg

PS:
I will not talk much on the sonic characteristic after recabling for now. Not until some 150 hours have been clocked. Okay just a hint, immediately transparency has been audibly improved - closer to my ER-4S now but not quite.

Stay tuned
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 6, 2009 at 1:36 PM Post #3 of 36
Sorry you only had them for 1 day and then you already decide to recable them? Then you wont comment on the PK1s until they have atleast 150 hours clocked. Am I missing something?

Did you recabled them to improve the durability of the cable? Because obviously you didnt do it to improve the sound. What about its key characteristics of having 150 ohm resistance? Wouldnt you have ruined it?

And I find the claim that you can already hear audible differences a bit proposterous. But obviously you got me here because you are the one with these PK1s and it is your opinion.

Feb 6, 2009 at 3:03 PM Post #5 of 36
What madness! Thanks for sharing!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 6, 2009 at 3:15 PM Post #6 of 36
Nice work bro
wink_face.gif

Feb 6, 2009 at 4:24 PM Post #8 of 36
Damn awesome recabling there! Looks sleek, too.
To bad you want be really able to tell if the cable improved/degraded anything since you modded the phones right away (foam, hole in the middle).

That's what I did with the portapro's, modded them and recabled with some SPC wire right away. It sure as hell sounds better, maybe X2 better. But if you'd ask me, for the ***** of me, I wouldn't be able to tell if the cable plays any role in the sound improvement. Since I reacabled and modded at the same time...

Feb 6, 2009 at 5:17 PM Post #9 of 36
awesome, where can we get these cable in USA?

Feb 6, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #14 of 36
Thanks guys. I opted to mod straight away because the initial impression does not WOWed me at all. Using my ER-4S as a benchmark, I aim to have similar or close to sonic performance when the modded PK-1 has clocked around 200 hours. There has been tons of review how these PK-1 perform in contrast to ER-4 so it's a no brainer anymore.

I will update again when the time is up.

Feb 6, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #15 of 36
I would be afraid to go to your house. I think I would end up leaving with bionic arms and oxygen free copper blood vessels
tongue.gif
- wait that might not be such a bad thing.

Great job and the detailed pics are a huge plus
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back