Ultradisc or MFSL cd's vinyl worth the price?
Nov 8, 2006 at 5:04 AM Post #31 of 45
Yeah, they don't hit a home run every time, but when they hit it, they hit it very well. Strangely enough, all of my MFSL cds are the pre-bankruptcy titles. Santana - Abraxas, John Coltrane - Giant Steps, Cannonball Adderley - Somethin' Else, Charles Mingus - Mingus At Carnegie Hall are just some of mine that are great.

Nov 8, 2006 at 1:51 PM Post #32 of 45
Don't forget about the DCC Gold CDs, too, mastered by the great Steve Hoffman. Expensive, but delicious.

Nov 8, 2006 at 6:26 PM Post #34 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
Don't forget about the DCC Gold CDs, too, mastered by the great Steve Hoffman. Expensive, but delicious.

For a nice sample of Steve Hoffman's DCC work on the cheap, get this-

http://www.amazon.com/Club-Verboten-...e=UTF8&s=music

4 discs for 10 bucks? bonus!

Nov 8, 2006 at 7:29 PM Post #35 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl

Can you recommend some discs?

Nov 9, 2006 at 12:21 AM Post #38 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63
Besides ebay, where online do you buy these discs?

Used record stores. Some audiophile shop still have stock. Some bigger chains have them but don't know what they are and the normal customers say, "what the screw!" to $45CDs (Can$). I have got most off Ebay and second would be the unsuspecting record shop with 16 year old working that have never own a disd player and think MP3 is the cat's pyjamas!

Speaking of which, I pre-ordered the latest release, Yes "Fragile," from MFSL through CDLTD on ebay and it arrived today. I paid $30 plus shipping for it. I have three different editions of this disc now and this is by far the best! I also own 15 MFSL SACD/Hybrids and all of them are fantastic on Redbook. I have not been able to listen to SACD since before I bought them because my player is 12000miles away.

Nov 9, 2006 at 7:48 AM Post #39 of 45
I have MFSL copies of all The Beatles albums, as well as all of the Pink Floyd MFSLs (The Wall, The Dark Side of the Moon, and Wish You Were Here).

The sound quality is leaps and bounds imho from the CD version I was so used to, which I now neglect happily.

Nov 9, 2006 at 1:19 PM Post #40 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by AtheisticFreedom
I have MFSL copies of all The Beatles albums, as well as all of the Pink Floyd MFSLs (The Wall, The Dark Side of the Moon, and Wish You Were Here).

The sound quality is leaps and bounds imho from the CD version I was so used to, which I now neglect happily.

Now I'm really confused
confused.gif
:

Quote:

Originally Posted by HumanMedia
The (deleted) MFSL CDs of "Pink Floyd - the Wall" and "Dark Side of the Moon" both sound worse than the last general release remasters.

Nov 9, 2006 at 5:14 PM Post #41 of 45
They are not worth it, sell me all yours right now
biggrin.gif

Just kidding..
they are awesome, and can provide a lifetime of satisfaction if cared for properly..

Nov 9, 2006 at 8:52 PM Post #42 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by AtheisticFreedom

You forgot Meddle
biggrin.gif

Nov 9, 2006 at 9:52 PM Post #43 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael415
I was looking at
Sting
Nothing like the sun
The dream of the blue turtles
U2
The Joshua Tree
The Unforgettable fire
War
Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong 'again'

I don't mind doing a bit of checking around but is there a good place to start that reviews the cd's?

I remember reading that some of the Sting and Police disc were not better versions. Maybe try and google those one to see if you find any info. Maybe check Steve Hoffman's site, I may have read it there.

Nov 9, 2006 at 10:24 PM Post #44 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by lator
You forgot Meddle
biggrin.gif

I just listened to MFSL Meddle last night even..that's how good etc

Nov 12, 2006 at 1:18 AM Post #45 of 45
Two of my favorite are:

Jimmy Reed at Carnegie Hall

Albert King, "Born Under a Bad Sign"

These are some awesome blues discs. On the Jimmy Reed disc you feel as if you are in Carnegie Hall down to the room acoustics and the mic reverb, WOW!

The most drastic change though is still my REM, "Murmer" disc. The original CD was hardly listenable, the MFSL is great. I would say that it changed the way I feel about CDs. When m turntable when belly up in the eighties, CD had become big a year or so before an I ended up changing over. I could listen in my car and on the go, size, ease of care and so on. I bought the Murmur disc many years later, always regretting the swap to CD I did not expect much... I am still a little lamentful over the nostalgia of vinyl but now I am not missing it as much or at all. This was ALL because of MSFL! Now, with SACD and DVD-A, I am a happier puppy than in the last 20 years! If only Sony could get their marketing boys together and make it happen. I hate to think that this will be another Beta video thing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back