Ultra-portable flash-based player?
Jul 6, 2006 at 7:31 AM Post #17 of 41
My Iaudio G3 with headphones, I use it constantly and get so many hours out of a battery I lose track. Sound quality is great and actual size is about the same as if you would wrap 3 AA batteries up a couple times with electrical tape. I bought mine awhile ago and would purchase again.
DSCF0148.jpg

Jul 8, 2006 at 4:07 AM Post #18 of 41
You guys should remember the battery life capacity. Don't you people hate anything below 20 hours? I think it's pathetic...

Anyways, the Mobiblu cube has a very short life. My friend has it and it lasts for what, 7 hours max?

I would go with the T10. The battery hour is 45 hours and the removable AA is another bonus.

Jul 8, 2006 at 4:43 AM Post #19 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsjong
You guys should remember the battery life capacity. Don't you people hate anything below 20 hours? I think it's pathetic...

Anyways, the Mobiblu cube has a very short life. My friend has it and it lasts for what, 7 hours max?

I would go with the T10. The battery hour is 45 hours and the removable AA is another bonus.

Yeah but who listens for 20 hours straight? I am happy with 12<

Jul 8, 2006 at 5:00 AM Post #20 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by apnk
Yeah but who listens for 20 hours straight? I am happy with 12<

I'm saying that:

A. Road trip without an electrical outlet (camping?)

B. Most built-in batteries are Li-ion. And you know those eat itself away when not being used. So if you don't use them, they'll wither away and the 20 hours would actually be around 13.

C. Recharging makes the batteries lose memory. Soon, the 23 hours will be 8. And then you'll have the battery replaced OR an iPod Nano, you would have to get a new one.

Seriously, I really hate how companies these days are making everything with built in batteries. Really effects the way most MP3 players could be twice as good as they are now.
blink.gif

But then again, these are my opinions.
etysmile.gif

Jul 8, 2006 at 10:20 AM Post #23 of 41
My vote goes for the iAudio U2. Just picked one up from Newegg.com for about $100 (1GB). Man, I thought the Shuffle had the best SQ available -- was I ever wrong! Whereas the Shuffle leaves my Shure E4s sounding way too thin (on the bass), the U2 blows them away. Awesome, I mean AWESOME dynamic range and full, deep bass.

And this thing is absolutely tiny, and ships with a good carrying case. I used to have to rip to Lame API mp3s, run 'em through mg3Gain, and only listen to my E4s through my nano w/bass boost on. Now, I'm ripping straight to Ogg (Q8), generating smaller file sizes, and driving my E4s with potency and authority.

Shuffle/Shure E5 is still a nice, minimalist rig that I enjoy, but the iAudio U2/E4 combo is now number one!

Jul 8, 2006 at 3:08 PM Post #24 of 41
I have been using an iAudio U3 2GB for a while now and soundwise it meets all my expectations, it's got a myriad of features, plays video, pictures, MP3, WMA, OGG, FLAC formats, it's damn small and with a full color screen.

The battery last about 12 hours or so when using it to play music, you can charge it via USB (connected to a computer's USB port or getting a cheap AC to USB adapter).

There are quite a few reviews on this, and they go for cheap online.

Here are some useful links:

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archi...-u3-review.php

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL7xXOlOU7A

Regards,

Jul 11, 2006 at 5:21 AM Post #25 of 41
I picked up a Zen Nano plus tonight, for $50 at Frys.

Frankly, it sucks.
biggrin.gif
But it fits the bill, kinda. Audio quality is a bit dodgy, slight hum in the background which "fades" out after the song ends, probably some sort of battery life management shutting down the internal amp. It's small and cheap and uses a AAA battery, so thats all cool. But I'm not sure if I could recommend it, purely for audio quality, or lack thereof.

Jul 11, 2006 at 6:48 AM Post #26 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by creyc
I take my music with me everywhere, which means at times bringing my video iPod in hostile conditions, like mountain biking.

I would like to get a small, cheap flash based player to "toss around" when I just want to fill a small space of my life with some music.
smily_headphones1.gif
1GB should do it, in fact.

I've been looking at the MobiBLU cube thing, and it is really tiny! FM radio, 1GB storage and a cool screen on it too!

Other players that have captured my attention are the Samsung YP-U1X and Creative Zen Nano player, for similar reasons. Has anybody here used the above mentioned players and have a comment on how they perform acoustically? I'm not expecting miracles here, and I will be using KSC-75's as this is my "backup" system so GOOD performance will suffice in place of say, exceptional?
biggrin.gif

Finally, any other suggestions would be great, provided they are SMALL and tasteful design. So far the MobiBLU cube takes the prize for interesting design, at least in my opinion, where as say an iAudio player is just...well to be avoided.
biggrin.gif

If you can deal with 512mb? than here's what looks like a good deal
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...70&dcaid=17070

B.

Jul 11, 2006 at 9:35 AM Post #27 of 41
Yea but is that any good?

It's slightly cheaper, but factoring in shipping and the hassle of returning/waiting for it, I'm not sure thats worth my time.

It also looks like, well, bad.
rolleyes.gif
I can live with the looks of this thing, actually there was an iRiver T30 at Fry's that looked OK too. The Zen was just on sale.
smily_headphones1.gif

Like I said this is a secondary player to an iPod. Capacity isn't too important when you've got 30GB in your iPod and another 100GB in your backpack. (laptop)
smily_headphones1.gif
I just wish someone would point out things like audio nastiness when recommending small flash players. Especially here on head-fi.

Jul 11, 2006 at 9:40 AM Post #28 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by creyc
.... I just wish someone would point out things like audio nastiness when recommending small flash players. Especially here on head-fi.

The problem is that audio quality is often subjective and relative to the persons experience, and how critical they are.

Theres a big MP3 player test in this mag...
http://www.whathifi.com/newsMainTemp...=2&storyID=238

Jul 11, 2006 at 9:51 AM Post #29 of 41
Okay forget this player!

I see I've been spoiled by using various ipods the past few years! Honestly I was expecting a rough time using a portable player but this is unusable. This is an example were the technology has gotten in the way of the goal. (listening to my music)

The audible "hum" is nauseating. It's not like a soft background hiss, synonymous with an analog source; this is a harsh metallic ringing which comes and goes depending on the current state of the player. Sure it becomes difficult to hear once a very busy song is playing, but as we all know such a condition has never been acceptable.

Secondly, usability is out the window. The player doesn't support more than a filename and an extension. No track name, artist info even album. I know this is a very basic MP3 player but honestly what is the point of even having a screen at all when it's this unusable? Attempting to find a song (Cuts You Up, Peter Murphy) has shown this player better suited for random playback, in which case the screen becomes unnecessary in the first place.

I'll return it to Fry's tomorrow and perhaps test my luck with the iRiver. My already low expectations have hit rock bottom. It's no surprise the iPod is as popular as it is, really.

Jul 11, 2006 at 10:05 AM Post #30 of 41
iAudio, iAudio...!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back