Ultra Mini Meet - gjkphd and mrarroyo
Sep 28, 2009 at 12:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

mrarroyo

Headphoneus Supremus
Today (September 27, 0f 2009) thanks to Gary’s (gjkphd) generosity I was able to audition the Audio-GD Phoenix. It so happens that a week or so ago I posted that I wanted to listen to one and Gary out of the blue sent me a PM and offered his home for me to have an opportunity to listen to the Phoenix. Very thoughtful and I really appreciated the gesture and opportunity.

I was very favorably impressed with the headphone amp both in SE and Balanced, it does run hot but being Class A is not surprising. Fit and finish is also very good and it made the Denon AH-D2000 come alive, the ATH-W5000 sounded very nice as well.

Today was not used as a typical day comparing gear back and forth. Instead we simply took it easy and just took the opportunity to leisurely check our respective gear. To say that Gary is a music-nut would be an understatement, boy does he have nice gear as well as a great looking dog (a 14 year old havanese). Here are some pics of some of the gear we had at our disposal.

DSCN0768.jpg

DSCN0770.jpg

DSCN0771.jpg

dscn0766.jpg

DSCN0767.jpg

DSCN0769.jpg

DSCN0774.jpg

DSCN0775.jpg

Other gear not photographed:

- AKG K501 w/ APuresound V3 re-cable
- ATH-W5000 w/ Moon Black Dragon re-cable
- AH-D2000 w/ MarkL Mods, Bubinga V4 Wood Cups, Jmoney Leather ear pads, and Zynsonic re-cable
- Two Zin Reference portable amps (C5 and D5 modules)

I hope to see Gary again perhaps in an upcoming mini meet in Orlando, Miami, Fort Lauderdale, etc. Cheers Gary and thanks.

Sep 28, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #2 of 7
Miguel: Some very nice gear you two have there. How do you like the Isabellina?

Sep 28, 2009 at 2:44 AM Post #3 of 7
I have heard good things about the yamamoto amp and phoenix. Just curious how the hpa stacked up against those. Nice mini meet and nice gear.

Sep 28, 2009 at 5:38 AM Post #4 of 7
I too enjoyed our ultra mini meet, Miguel. Thanks for posting and including the pics. I enjoyed the modified Denon 2000's and the Graham Slee is a fine SS amp. Miguel's fully battery operated Wadia/ Isabellina combo was a marvel and sounded very clean with an extemely low noise floor. A good time was had by all, all two that is

Sep 28, 2009 at 2:45 PM Post #5 of 7
Looks nice!
smile.gif

What do you think of the Audio-GD Phoenix against your RWA Isabellina HPA?

Sep 29, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by shellylh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Miguel: Some very nice gear you two have there. How do you like the Isabellina?

Hi Shelly, the Isabellina HPA is a killer unit. Like Gary wrote it has no background noise I could detect specially when drive by the Wadia or USB from the PC. Hope you have the opportunity to listen to one shortly.

Sadly this was not a meet where we compare gear to each other, more of a getting acquainted type of meeting. I will try to see if we could set up a 2nd round and invite vorlon1 with whom I have done a few comparisons. That way we will be able to answer some of the questions posted by you all.

Sep 29, 2009 at 1:37 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hope you have the opportunity to listen to one shortly.

Me too.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back