Ultra Micro overkill for iPod Touch?
Dec 25, 2007 at 6:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Stefaan

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I've posted this thread before in the Headroom amp subforum but this Sponsor forum should be helpfull..

I have a question about the importance of the source combined with either of the Micro Line models.

Here's my situation: I'm getting an iPod Touch and I'm looking for advice to get the best sound possible from it, I already have the HD-650 cans and the SAA Equinox cable is on its way. I'm also getting a Qables Silvercable LOD so you know my setup.

As it is a portable player I could order the portable Micro, but when I'm on the road I won't be using an amp nor will I use the HD-650's but just some mediocre IEM's, so no real need for a battery- powered amp.
I like the design and small footprint of the Micro Line and based on some reviews of the earlier models I think I can't go wrong with HeadRoom products. So that leaves me with two options:

the 2007 Micro amp and the 2007 Ultra Micro amp.

What I was wondering is how important the source is, I think the amp will almost constantly be used with the Touch so I wonder if the OPA627 op amp and other improvements in the Ultra will make much difference compared to the standard Micro amp with such a 'weak' source?
Normally I wouldn't doubt and get the best there is, but since the iPod's don't exceed in SQ and the source is apparently the most important object in a setup I was wondering if it would make any difference at all. I don't need much to be convinced, so you know
wink.gif

Thanks!

Stefaan

Dec 27, 2007 at 1:54 AM Post #2 of 3
I've found what I wanted to know in the following thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f77/go...ighlight=ultra

Decided to go for the Ultra Micro stack, my laptop can benefit from the Ultra DAC so that should be enough reason I guess..
rolleyes.gif
Ah well, it once started with the 'crazy idea' to get the TotalAirhead, I'm sure my feelings against Head-Fi will be ambivalent once I get the microstack. VERY curious for the result,

Happy holidays !

Stefaan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back