Ultra Micro or Desktop amp best for Denon D7000?
Mar 22, 2009 at 4:05 PM Post #2 of 10
I would say both will drive the D7000 beautifully. With the Desktop amp you have options in a one unit that the Micro will not provide. The options range from different amp modules, dacs, power supplies, and size of the jack including balanced operation.

So if you do not need balanced operation, and do not mind using a 1/8" to a 1/4" adapter you will be very happy w/ the Ultra Micro Amp.

Mar 22, 2009 at 4:19 PM Post #3 of 10
The Ultra has better electronics, so would sound better. Doesn't have all the convenient connectors though.

Mar 22, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Robert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tyll:
and what about the ultra desktop.

The Ultra Desktop and Ultra Micro sound very similar---they have the same electronics.

The Ultra Desktop does have more power supply filter capacity and a bit better grounding (''cuz there's more room to route stuff well on the board) and the better connectors and switching, but in the end, it's mostly the electronics you hear and the Ultras sound quite similar.

It really should depend on how important the size is, and then how much you're willing to spend on nice connectors.

Mar 22, 2009 at 10:14 PM Post #6 of 10
i have an ultra micro stack(dac+amp) and i am MORE than satisfied! simply beautiful sound. but i think that these day, if i would have the money i would go for the ultra desktop instead. (i got the amp first and only after few moths decided to go for a dac rig)
not because of the sound (it's probably so miniature so i couldn't hear the difference anyway) but because you kind of getting the whole gear in one package,including better power supplies. and like tyll said,it also got better connectors and ground for what it's worth.

but again..the sound is very similar so go for what you got the money for.
the ultra desktop does'nt cost much than the ultra micro stack with the astrodyne power supplies..i think.
any way..your head will be very very happy no matter what you choose.
good luck mate!

Mar 23, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
these day, if i would have the money i would go for the ultra desktop instead.

It's true, the cheapest thing to do is get it all in one box.

Mar 23, 2009 at 1:48 PM Post #9 of 10
congratulations mate!
beerchug.gif
i am so envy at you right now.
enjoy your new gear.

Mar 23, 2009 at 4:10 PM Post #10 of 10
The Ultra Micros are to me, a very focused purchase, since the flexibility with connections is limited.

I'm VERY happy with my ultra micro stack. They really go well with my recabled HD650s.

The only peak is the 1/8" connector and having to use an adaptor with the better full cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back