Ultra micro dac VS. ultra desktop dac
Oct 16, 2009 at 2:57 PM Post #16 of 30
Well, not having listen to the balance max it is a little hard to do comparison. But I guess Headroom new strategy is to bring the price point down on their top of the line amp to increase sale. That means something has to give, right? Looking at the old Blockhead and Max, you can tell just eliminating the solid block casing, the stepped attenuator, and the psu will save at least one third of the cost.

If you are really curious, you should call Headroom, those guys are amazing, somehow they have a way of coming up with numbers like the Micro is about 92.5% of the Ultra Micro:), or the BUDA is about 5.4% better than the Max Etc:) But joking aside, I don't mind to pay less on the case if they will spent more research and money on the inside where it counts.

Oct 16, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #17 of 30
Just received the UDAC and DPS so these are just my initial impressions. I'm currently using an ultra micro as the amp with re-cabled AKG K702's. Even though I'm using the UDAC as an unbalanced source, the sound to me is phenomenal. I listen to a great deal of classical, and the details are awesome. You can hear more into the venue where the recording was made and the soundstaging is even better than the ultra micro. I will post more after some further listening. I can already see that I will be going balanced before too long (can you say BUDA--my poor wallet!). Another great piece from Headroom!!
Cheers,
Tom

Feb 18, 2010 at 2:43 AM Post #18 of 30
Well guys, I bought a UDAC (with no BUDA) not for use with balanced cans because I don´t have balanced cans. In fact I haven´t used the UDAC with cans yet. But for the last 2 months I´ve been using the Ultra Desktop DAC in my main music server system converting the digital signal coming from a MacBook Pro (iTunes) via its excellent optical out. The balanced output of the UDAC feeding a KRELL KCT preamp and a 400 wats per channel KRELL Evolution Amp which drives a pair of Sonus Faber Amati Homage loudspeakers connected with Transparent Omega cables. Well, I can tell you that the sound of the UDAC in this system using the UDAC´s new SABRE reference DAC is nothing less than outstanding. I like classical and jazz music. The sound is crystal clear, deep dead quite, a lot of detail and information, great sound-stage, excellent balance in the highs, crystal clear mids and very very good and extended lows! The sound is never congested even in the complex passages and I love the presentation which it´s not "in your face" but just a little behind the loudspeakers line what makes the UDAC sound quite relaxed without loss of presence. Great job HeadRoom!
wink_face.gif

I will report my experience using the UDAC with my cans later.
biggrin.gif

Feb 18, 2010 at 4:25 PM Post #19 of 30
Thanks guys, appreciate the kind words. ESS really did a fabulous job with that DAC chip, and I think we did honor it in the design.

Enjoy!

Feb 18, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #20 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
any more comments about this..? If i am gonna spend more than a 1000 grand on a dac I want to be sure that it is much better than the ultra micro I have.
Detail is nice...but what about other espects of the sound?
would you say the ultra dac sound warmer than the micro? is it totally diferent sounding or it's the same sound only with a little more clarity and detail?

Just as a fyi in a dac all you want to have is tons of detail and neutrality. A dac should not be the unit it the lineup adding warmth or brightness to the signal. But, rather the cleanest signal possible with as much truth to the recording as possible.

Feb 18, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #21 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just as a fyi in a dac all you want to have is tons of detail and neutrality. A dac should not be the unit it the lineup adding warmth or brightness to the signal. But, rather the cleanest signal possible with as much truth to the recording as possible.

Absolutely!! No jitter... just the signal as, is despite wall outlet current issues etc. Leave the rest to the amp and cans. Additionally, a great DAC can be flat footed by a poor digital signal from a not so good transport. These articles on the source of jitter may well be true or just a means of encouraging more and more spending!
eek.gif

PS// But then again, lousy DAC's may well interfere with the purity of the signal so much, that one may confuse a clean, transparent signal with one that's coloured or enhanced in some way. The whole assessment of the differences therefore become relative, i.e., a change to a less attenuated sound, rather than sound that's been attenuated in some way.
smily_headphones1.gif

It's similar to what I've noted with cables. The influence of the SXC Cryo cable on my K702's has been amp-like. An amp upgrade could create a similar effect. But it's just a matter of the cable better allowing the amp to do what it wants to, rather than the cable having a direct effect on the sound.

Feb 18, 2010 at 8:17 PM Post #22 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks guys, appreciate the kind words. ESS really did a fabulous job with that DAC chip, and I think we did honor it in the design.

Enjoy!

Of course Tyll, I absolutely agree. I heard that Krell is using the Sabre dacs for the main channels of its new home theater line (bluray player and surround processor). As far as I know, HeadRoom got the more valuable (relationship between cost and quality) implementation of the Sabre DAC Reference available today in the high end market. Good work guys!
beerchug.gif

Feb 18, 2010 at 10:05 PM Post #23 of 30
While you'll see a nice improvement upgrading to that, I think you would see a much larger improvement through upgrading your headphones.

The D5000s are a mid-range headphone and are certainly not the most balanced, neutral sounding headphones that would benefit from the BUDA and UDAC. The RS1s, while more detailed than the D5000s, still would not see as big of a benefit as higher end phones.

The HD650s are a similar situation, although I hear they get huge benefit from balanced.

I'm willing to bet good money your Ultra Micro stack is driving both the Denons and Grados to their full potential with room to spare. If you want a real upgrade, go with cans.

Feb 19, 2010 at 8:23 AM Post #24 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While you'll see a nice improvement upgrading to that, I think you would see a much larger improvement through upgrading your headphones.

The D5000s are a mid-range headphone and are certainly not the most balanced, neutral sounding headphones that would benefit from the BUDA and UDAC. The RS1s, while more detailed than the D5000s, still would not see as big of a benefit as higher end phones.

The HD650s are a similar situation, although I hear they get huge benefit from balanced.

I'm willing to bet good money your Ultra Micro stack is driving both the Denons and Grados to their full potential with room to spare. If you want a real upgrade, go with cans.

yeah...I got to this conclusion also. the plan is to upgrade my grados to PS1000 using my existing gear. the ultra micro stack is really doing a great job.

Feb 19, 2010 at 9:24 AM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah...I got to this conclusion also. the plan is to upgrade my grados to PS1000 using my existing gear. the ultra micro stack is really doing a great job.

Yeah. I almost started a reminder thread on the quality of the stack. I was using them yesterday with my Symphones Magnums and boy, did the Ultra Micro Stack make it sing!!!
biggrin.gif

Feb 19, 2010 at 2:05 PM Post #26 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The D5000s are a mid-range headphone and are certainly not the most balanced, neutral sounding headphones that would benefit from the BUDA and UDAC.

I have to say that I'm not so convinced personally in that regard. The D5000 measures incredibly well. And with the J$ pads that imaging is pretty darn good. No I wouldn't rank them up with the 800, JH13, or T1, but I would put them up there with the PS/GS1000, Ed8, etc.

Feb 19, 2010 at 8:11 PM Post #27 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah. I almost started a reminder thread on the quality of the stack. I was using them yesterday with my Symphones Magnums and boy, did the Ultra Micro Stack make it sing!!!
biggrin.gif

Aimlink, you make an excellent point. I have posted previously on the under appreciation of the ultra micro stack.

Tyll, it is really too bad that the ultra micro amp has been discontinued. I am using the ultra micro amp to drive my HD800's with the the UDAC as a source powered by the DPS. Man does this combo sound good. The little ultra micro amp drives the HD800's with ease and authority even on the medium gain setting. The amp is very transparent as I can easily distinguish the ultra micro dac from the UDAC. I can only imagine what the BUDA and going balanced would sound like
smile.gif

I wish that I wasn't so damn curious about going balanced because I think that the above combination could keep me happy for a long while. I really would like to upgrade to the BUDA but that would mean that I would have to sell my beloved ultra micro stack. I'm just not ready to give the stack up especially since the amp is no longer available!! Dilemmas, dilemmas!!
Cheers,
Tom

Feb 19, 2010 at 10:10 PM Post #28 of 30
^Have you considered another single ended amp solution? Like the Auditor or Phonitor?
very_evil_smiley.gif

I don't think I'll be going balanced, but I do consider, at times, the UDAC with a non-HeadRoom single ended amp. HeadRoom seems to be going balanced with their uber high-end stuff. Your setup isn't possible with what's currently on their shelf when it really should be, i.e., being able to use the UDAC with a dedicated single-ended HR Amp with Max module. If you wish to get a single-ended amp with max module, it's the Ultra Desktop Amp that's currently available, and that's pretty much the same as the Ultra Micro Stack. The message would seem to be that they recommend using the Ultra Desktop Amp and if you're thinking of using the UDAC, they you should go balanced with the BUDA .............. or find a single-ended amp from another company.

Unless the message is that there's little difference between the Ultra Desktop amp and your setup, i.e., the UDAC and UMA. It's either Ultra Desktop Amp for non-balanced solution, or go balanced.

Any comments from HeadRoom on this?

Feb 20, 2010 at 1:07 AM Post #29 of 30
aimlink,
You are cruel to suggest that I invest in another amplifier. My poor wallet has suffered quite a bit these last 2 years or so here on Head-fi.
beerchug.gif

I've done the upgrade path with Headroom starting with the Bithead, then to the regular micros, ultra micros and now the DPS and UDAC. I've been pleased with each upgrade and I figure I should end my Headroom journey by getting the BUDA. The challenge is that I need upwards of $2000 to get to my goal. Ouch! It is a curse to have expensive taste!!!!
Also, it seems to be the general consensus that the HD800's benefit a great deal from going balanced so I would like to give it a try. And exactly for the reasons you stated concerning the marketing of the desktop stack as being a match made in balanced heaven, the BUDA seems to be the logical choice. I purchased the UDAC with the ultimate goal of going balanced. It's just going to take a little while to get there.

What's not clear is if the Max dac in the SE ultra desktop is going to be replaced by an ESS SABRE dac in the near future and be maintained as a one box solution. If it can or is being done, then one would not have to choose between SE or balanced to get the benefit of the ESS chip. Perhaps Tyll can fill us in.
popcorn.gif

For now I will have to be satisfied with my setup and save like a madman to purchase the BUDA.

Tom

Feb 20, 2010 at 2:24 AM Post #30 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bubu1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
aimlink,
What's not clear is if the Max dac in the SE ultra desktop is going to be replaced by an ESS SABRE dac in the near future and be maintained as a one box solution. If it can or is being done, then one would not have to choose between SE or balanced to get the benefit of the ESS chip. Perhaps Tyll can fill us in.
popcorn.gif

I'm curious about this as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back