Ultra micro dac VS. ultra desktop dac
Aug 9, 2009 at 4:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

plonter

Headphoneus Supremus
Are there any head-fiers that tried both and can comment on the difference in sound? Is there a very big and noticeable improvement in sound?

I currently own the ultra micro stack and using it with all my cans (see sig) but in the past month especially with my relatively new HD650.
I already decided to go balanced with them and as soon my wallet recover from the last injury, I will get the ultra desktop balanced. but now i am considering also to get the ultra desktop dac to go with it.

Aug 9, 2009 at 9:26 PM Post #2 of 30
Hello,

I have had the Ultra micro and now the UDAC. The ultra micro is quite nice. However, the UDAC is in a totally different league. Especially when used balanced to a BUDA! I would say the biggest difference is the amount of detail.

will

Sep 8, 2009 at 7:46 AM Post #3 of 30
any more comments about this..? If i am gonna spend more than a 1000 grand on a dac I want to be sure that it is much better than the ultra micro I have.
Detail is nice...but what about other espects of the sound?
would you say the ultra dac sound warmer than the micro? is it totally diferent sounding or it's the same sound only with a little more clarity and detail?

Sep 8, 2009 at 8:34 AM Post #4 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
any more comments about this..? If i am gonna spend more than a 1000 grand on a dac I want to be sure that it is much better than the ultra micro I have.
Detail is nice...but what about other espects of the sound?
would you say the ultra dac sound warmer than the micro? is it totally diferent sounding or it's the same sound only with a little more clarity and detail?

Why not take a time out, buy some new music, and enjoy what you have? You have a fantastic system. From the number of posts asking about what is better than what you have, it seems that you might be getting a bit obsessed and losing the joy of listening to great music in the process.

Buying and using expensive gear is great fun, but it's also a slightly insane hobby. It's good to remember that once in a while, and also remember that the system that you currently have is in no way preventing you from appreciating the music you listen to.

I can tell you that you have a better system than I have had for the last 2 years. And I've gone down along way from the very best I ever owned. At one point I had a balanced Home with Max Modules, Max DAC and that was amazing. But considering who I am, what I earn, etc. having a system like that seemed ridiculous, and today I enjoy my music no less without it.

Sep 8, 2009 at 8:58 AM Post #5 of 30
You are absolutely right...and i am really enjoyng my ultra micro stack for the last year and a half. it's an amazing rig and I really appreciate it.
I am asking this quetions just for the preperation and interest...I am not gonna buy the ultra balanced amp or dac for at least a few mothes, but I want to be ready.

i enjoy my gear and look for upgrades in the same time, it is possible. and the more I enjoy my system just makes me wanna go higher...and i know that there is better.

Sep 8, 2009 at 1:56 PM Post #6 of 30
Quote:

i enjoy my gear and look for upgrades in the same time, it is possible. and the more I enjoy my system just makes me wanna go higher...and i know that there is better.

There will always be better and it's quite liberating when you begin to appreciate what is enough.
smily_headphones1.gif
I may well be seeing a little light where that's concerned and it has only come through personal exploration. I have no doubt that Sloth's advice is very good but it's easy for you to say Sloth.... you've been around the block and personally experienced it. Now that you've seen it all for yourself and experienced the very best for what it is to you, you can now settle down with what is enough and reasonable for you to enjoy your music.
beerchug.gif

I'm quite happy with the Ultra non-balanced sound to enjoy myself for now. It's really great as it is.

Sep 9, 2009 at 8:58 AM Post #7 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have no doubt that Sloth's advice is very good but it's easy for you to say Sloth.... you've been around the block and personally experienced it. Now that you've seen it all for yourself and experienced the very best for what it is to you, you can now settle down with what is enough and reasonable for you to enjoy your music.
beerchug.gif

True, but I threw away money that could have been better spent in the process. I like to think other people might avoid that trap with a little hint of advice along the way. Anyway, the nice thing here is that a Balanced Ultra stack costs way less than the equivalently specced Balanced Homes and Maxes used to
wink_face.gif

Sep 9, 2009 at 11:06 AM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
True, but I threw away money that could have been better spent in the process. I like to think other people might avoid that trap with a little hint of advice along the way. Anyway, the nice thing here is that a Balanced Ultra stack costs way less than the equivalently specced Balanced Homes and Maxes used to
wink_face.gif

Do I detect the resurgence of some sonic restlessness?
popcorn.gif

As to your advice, I guess there are some who would listen, but for me, I definitely have to do that journey for myself since my findings may well differ from yours. I don't think you wasted your money since it provided you a first hand experience, and a very valuable one. You're now the board's wise man on HeadRoom Gear.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 9, 2009 at 3:37 PM Post #9 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by wsilvio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello,

I have had the Ultra micro and now the UDAC. The ultra micro is quite nice. However, the UDAC is in a totally different league. Especially when used balanced to a BUDA! I would say the biggest difference is the amount of detail.

will

Did you use the ultra micro with a ultra micro amp? or maybe with one of other headroom's amps...?
you say that the new ultra dac reveals more details of the recording...but I can't even imagine what details are there that I can't hear now with my current ultra micro setup?

I would like to hear some more impressions where the "mighty" ultra dac excellence from the ultra micro dac.
I would also like to know if the ultra dac is warmer in sound or the opposite.

Sep 9, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #10 of 30
I used the ultra micro with the headamp gilmore lite. I bought the UDAC to use with the BUDA because it has balanced outs. I didn't spend too much time comparing them before I sold both the micro and the gilmore lite. The micro dac is a wonderful unit. In fact I'm considering buying a ultra micro dac again to use in an office rig. But as I said before, I notice much more detail coming from the UDAC. This could also be because of the balanced amp.

will

Sep 9, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by wsilvio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used the ultra micro with the headamp gilmore lite. I bought the UDAC to use with the BUDA because it has balanced outs. I didn't spend too much time comparing them before I sold both the micro and the gilmore lite. The micro dac is a wonderful unit. In fact I'm considering buying a ultra micro dac again to use in an office rig. But as I said before, I notice much more detail coming from the UDAC. This could also be because of the balanced amp.

will

thanks for you comment, but it may be not helpful for me because i would like to know the differences between the two units with the same amp.

I believe that a dac in that price range should introduce some improvements over the ultra micro and I also very much trust headroom reviews. but I would like to hear it from you guys,
from the experience of people around here.

Oct 16, 2009 at 12:27 AM Post #13 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not take a time out, buy some new music, and enjoy what you have? You have a fantastic system. From the number of posts asking about what is better than what you have, it seems that you might be getting a bit obsessed and losing the joy of listening to great music in the process.

Buying and using expensive gear is great fun, but it's also a slightly insane hobby. It's good to remember that once in a while, and also remember that the system that you currently have is in no way preventing you from appreciating the music you listen to.

I can tell you that you have a better system than I have had for the last 2 years. And I've gone down along way from the very best I ever owned. At one point I had a balanced Home with Max Modules, Max DAC and that was amazing. But considering who I am, what I earn, etc. having a system like that seemed ridiculous, and today I enjoy my music no less without it.

Some of the best advice I've seen.

It should be a sticky.

Thanks, Sloth.

Oct 16, 2009 at 4:25 AM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

Are there any head-fiers that tried both and can comment on the difference in sound? Is there a very big and noticeable improvement in sound?

I currently own the ultra micro stack and using it with all my cans (see sig) but in the past month especially with my relatively new HD650.
I already decided to go balanced with them and as soon my wallet recover from the last injury, I will get the ultra desktop balanced. but now i am considering also to get the ultra desktop dac to go with it.

You can never igore the psychology part of upgrade
bigsmile_face.gif
In this hobby, the satisfaction of knowing you have the best worth at lease 51% of the cost of upgrading
biggrin.gif

By the way, I had the Ultra stack w/ DPS for the past year and a half and very happy with it, and I've just recently purchase the BUDA/UDAC combo for the HD800 and w/ my own DPS. The total package of course sounds better than the Ultra stack. But it will be awhile before I can sort out where the improvement comes from, Amp, Dac, or phone, or even the cables (I am recabling the HD800 with the SAA Voice and a set of SAA Equinnox balance interconnect) But this I figure, after I sold the Ultra Stack, the cost to upgrade to the best combo Headroom has to offer is really a good value. Like Sloth said, the old top of the Max line could cost you over 5 grand.

Yea, it's easy to say just ignore everything and focus on enjoying the music, but somewhere inside you always know there may be something better, right? If you don't have that thoughts, you won't be in this hobby. With that being said, the Ultra Micro Dac is still very sweet, it's just that the UDAC is very very sweet. Just one more very :)

Oct 16, 2009 at 4:45 AM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jalo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But this I figure, after I sold the Ultra Stack, the cost to upgrade to the best combo Headroom has to offer is really a good value. Like Sloth said, the old top of the Max line could cost you over 5 grand.

I'm rather curious about the differences between the Balanced Max and the BUDA/UDAC/DPS setup. I noticed the same as you did, that at $3500 (don't forget IC and power cable), the BUDA/UDA/DPS is much cheaper than the tricked out Balanced Max. However, it's about the same price as the top Balanced Home I think. It's been too long since I looked at the old line to be sure but that was what I could garner from old reviews. But the Balanced Max did have separate power supplies for each channel and a super expensive stepped attenuator.

I think it would be interesting to see a more detailed comparison between the old and new lines. Particularly because I am interested in the fact that Headroom no longer does separate power supplies for the balanced amp.

Heh... I still remember the Blockhead, it was just literally two amps (modified I assume for proper differential amping I'm sure) clamped together, even needed two power cords.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back