Ultra Fast Diode Mod for the MF X-Can V3
Nov 27, 2006 at 2:20 AM Post #31 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BennyBoy? the guy who's trying to copy my mods?
wink.gif
Good luck Benny, my next stage of mods are secret...............WHAMMO!

I don't endorse "Bennyboy" mods!

Oops. Didn't mean to open up a can o' worms.

Nov 27, 2006 at 2:42 AM Post #32 of 52
When I had both...I always went back to V2. It was more musical for me. Now...I am sad that my V2 might be gone by the way of amp heaven because of too extreme modding
blink.gif

Mike (PF) is trying to help me out. I hope the good V2 doctor can help me
icon10.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveDerek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
pf, so how does your modded v2 sound compared against your v3?

Nov 27, 2006 at 3:31 AM Post #33 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BennyBoy? the guy who's trying to copy my mods?
wink.gif
Good luck Benny, my next stage of mods are secret...............WHAMMO!

I don't endorse "Bennyboy" mods!

HaHa, trying to copy your mods? thats a laugh! First thing I modded was a Magnavox 582 cd player(20 years ago). Your not the first to do mods(parts change). Your really not doing any modding to speak of, just upgrading parts(nothing new there). It's not like you design anything? the caps say Panasonic not Mike!

You dont endorse me? Funny, last week you asked me to do your mods in the states and I replyed that this was just fun for me and I dont need the extra work(or have the time). You also told me $97. was to cheap and I should charge more! I told you than and I stand by my response when I say $97 is fair. In fact the only reason I sourced the parts myself, was because you were charging 3x more for them than any electronics outlet.
frown.gif

I've only had good thing to say about you and really dont appreciate your negative tone directed at me.

Also, there are no secrets on the internet. There are only a few more parts left in the V3 and I've order better grades for all of them(just for my V3).

Benny.
frown.gif

Nov 27, 2006 at 3:41 AM Post #34 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by BennyBoy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HaHa, trying to copy your mods? thats a laugh! First thing I modded was a Magnavox 582 cd player(20 years ago). (

Man, I did that mod in '88. That was a great budget audiophile player after the mod. I kept it for 6 years or so. I think I still have a second mod kit somewhere (I know, I need to throw some stuff away).

Nov 27, 2006 at 3:52 AM Post #35 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solitary1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man, I did that mod in '88. That was a great budget audiophile player after the mod. I kept it for 6 years or so. I think I still have a second mod kit somewhere (I know, I need to throw some stuff away).

My friend Stan from Superphon first told me about the that mod. Stan does great Mods. The guy will totaly rip out large sections of a peice of gear and install his own designs(a true audio Guru!)
rolleyes.gif

Nov 27, 2006 at 5:23 AM Post #36 of 52
Quote:

My friend Stan from Superphon first told me about the that mod. Stan does great Mods. The guy will totaly rip out large sections of a peice of gear and install his own designs(a true audio Guru!)
rolleyes.gif

Do you have Stan's email address? I used to talk with him and I have known him for years and owned a couple of his preamps but I have lost all contact with him. I was just wondering about him yesterday. Not that is one guy who gives you a good bang for the buck and knows what he is doing.

Nov 27, 2006 at 5:46 AM Post #37 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you have Stan's email address? I used to talk with him and I have known him for years and owned a couple of his preamps but I have lost all contact with him. I was just wondering about him yesterday. Not that is one guy who gives you a good bang for the buck and knows what he is doing.

I have not spoke with him in about 3 years. He never did care for the internet and have no contact info for him.
blink.gif

Nov 27, 2006 at 6:09 AM Post #38 of 52
Quote:

I have not spoke with him in about 3 years. He never did care for the internet and have no contact info for him.
blink.gif

I never did contact him via interent either. He often would not answer his phone and many have given up on him because of the very long wait periods for his mods. I read a couple years ago that he had many amps and preamps just sitting in his house and some had been there for over a year. I don't even know if he is still doing anything but he was/is good. When he worked for Superphon, when they were in business, the products were a great price performance ratio.

Nov 27, 2006 at 6:11 AM Post #39 of 52
Quote:

blink.gif

On your mods do you ever use BlackGates? I find that sometimes less is more and too many electrolytics just messes up the sound and too my bypassing screws with the frequency spectrum. The BlackGates are best left alone and I have found them many times to sound as good or better than many expensive film type caps although i do like the Mondorf silver.

Nov 27, 2006 at 7:13 AM Post #40 of 52
Quote:

I never did contact him via interent either. He often would not answer his phone and many have given up on him because of the very long wait periods for his mods. I read a couple years ago that he had many amps and preamps just sitting in his house and some had been there for over a year. I don't even know if he is still doing anything but he was/is good. When he worked for Superphon, when they were in business, the products were a great price performance ratio.

Who knows? maybe he finaly lost his mind! He owned/founded SuperPhon.

PS audio was also his and Paul bought Stan out and Stan started SuperPhon.

I met Stan at CES and we hit it off from the start. He's an Audio Genius and a social moron, thats why I liked him!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Nov 27, 2006 at 7:18 AM Post #41 of 52
Quote:

On your mods do you ever use BlackGates? I find that sometimes less is more and too many electrolytics just messes up the sound and too my bypassing screws with the frequency spectrum. The BlackGates are best left alone and I have found them many times to sound as good or better than many expensive film type caps although i do like the Mondorf silver.

I also like the sound of the BG in my X-CanV3 but dont use them for the mods because they cost so much.

205332887_b7e660e110_o.jpg

205039083_b8545dc29d_o.jpg

biggrin.gif

Nov 27, 2006 at 8:54 AM Post #42 of 52
I just four of the 220's in the super E configuration for the output of my Monica II dac yesterday. I brought some BG's with me to China, I can't be without them. I had the HiQ 47uf caps in there but I wanted more deep control and this gave it and they aren't even really formed and broken-in yet.

If you take the cover off of the BG's they are even better. There is some interaction going on with the dialectric and the outside of the cap. Also I bypass with a .47uf HiQ but with nothing else.

Nov 27, 2006 at 9:49 AM Post #43 of 52
Quote:

I just four of the 220's in the super E configuration for the output of my Monica II dac yesterday. I brought some BG's with me to China, I can't be without them. I had the HiQ 47uf caps in there but I wanted more deep control and this gave it and they aren't even really formed and broken-in yet.

If you take the cover off of the BG's they are even better. There is some interaction going on with the dialectric and the outside of the cap. Also I bypass with a .47uf HiQ but with nothing else.

I'm told the Super E is key! Thats why I tried it. It took a long time for a complete burn-in but was worth the wait. I've AB my V3 agianst others and the BG do sound better! and I'm glad I tried them. I almost did not try them because of pink claiming they were really bad in the X-Can. They sound really good in my X-Can!
plainface.gif

Nov 27, 2006 at 10:02 AM Post #44 of 52
Quote:

I'm told the Super E is key! Thats why I tried it. It took a long time for a complete burn-in but was worth the wait. I've AB my V3 agianst others and the BG do sound better! and I'm glad I tried them. I almost did not try them because of pink claiming they were really bad in the X-Can. They sound really good in my X-Can!
plainface.gif

I have never found them to sound bad or to have any real sound at all. What they do is reveal problems upstream or around them and they do not cover this up. Too bad they are out of business. Buy them while you can as nothing comes close. I have a 2000$ meter than I can run esr measurements with and when the BG's are in the super E config I can measure it.

Nov 27, 2006 at 11:28 AM Post #45 of 52
Quote:

HaHa, trying to copy your mods? thats a laugh! First thing I modded was a Magnavox 582 cd player(20 years ago). Your not the first to do mods(parts change). Your really not doing any modding to speak of, just upgrading parts(nothing new there). It's not like you design anything? the caps say Panasonic not Mike!

You dont endorse me? Funny, last week you asked me to do your mods in the states and I replyed that this was just fun for me and I dont need the extra work(or have the time). You also told me $97. was to cheap and I should charge more! I told you than and I stand by my response when I say $97 is fair. In fact the only reason I sourced the parts myself, was because you were charging 3x more for them than any electronics outlet.
frown.gif

I've only had good thing to say about you and really dont appreciate your negative tone directed at me.

Also, there are no secrets on the internet. There are only a few more parts left in the V3 and I've order better grades for all of them(just for my V3).

Benny.
frown.gif

You "did" see the wink in my post didn't you Benny?? Good god man even I can see I was joking, have another read maybe you'll see it too
wink.gif

As to the price, you charge what you want man. It "is" too cheap for the work you do and and the minute you get a unit that won't fire up, or that you drop on the floor and smash, or......... and you end up having to pay retail to replace the unit you'll realise why your price is too cheap
wink.gif
As I say though, up to you
600smile.gif

Negative tone? not at all, I've directed quite a few people your way, you've just got to learn to appreciate my warped sense of humour (or is that humor?). Sure, the caps say "panasonic" and not "mike" (they do have an "M" on them tho
wink.gif
) but my four page construction manual has got "Mike" stamped all over it..... I think it was me who spent ages writing all those manuals?..... yes, it was
biggrin.gif

Soooooooo, I wasn't being negative toward you Benny Boy so put that in your pipe and smoke it
tongue.gif

By the way, man, have you ever checked the prices of Panasonic caps in the UK? astronomical (as is everything else in the UK) costing about 4 times more than they do in the US and then they whack 17.5% VAT on top for good measure! You're lucky over there being able to get stuff so cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back