Ultra Desktop vs. Ultra Micro Amp/DAC combo
Sep 5, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In the ultra desktop, which is a dac+amp unit, how is the dac connected to the amp section inside the amp? I mean..is it connected by sort of a cable, or it is connected directly from the board?

There's no "connectors" but there is a connection between the dac board and the main board --- I think it's a header, but it might be wired, don't remember.

Quote:

the second question and one that always interested me:
how do they (headroom) put in all the electronic parts of the max module (in the past it was the much bigger max amp) inside of the tiny micros inclosure? are these exactly the same parts, or a smaller version of them?

The biggest thing was re-laying out the board so that there was no Max "module", it's all on the same board now.

0000011300_2900.jpg

Sep 6, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #19 of 22
Yep.

I'm wondering if the next generation microdac will incorporate the new technologies of the Ultra Desktop DAC without the balanced connectors, RCA connectors and various fancy buttons etc as are on the front of the desktop unit?

Sep 6, 2009 at 4:33 PM Post #20 of 22
I personally would be very happy if the ultra micro dac would have a full size coaxial input to it, so you won't have to use an rca to mini adapter.
the only reason I am using an optical connection between my transport and the dac is because I am avoiding the usage of the adapter. generally i prefer coax.

Sep 6, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #22 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You do not need to use an adapter, various cable manufacturers will put a mini 1/8" on their coaxial cables. For example BJC has it available on the Belden 1505F Coax: Digital Audio Cables at Blue Jeans Cable

thanks for the link mrarroyo, but I couldn't spot where they say that this cable is an rca to mini . besides...they also say that there is a slight downgrade in performance comparing to the standart coax.
but the optical is ok, I am not a jitter paranoid anymore...I am putting my trust in the ultra micro dac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back