Ultra Desktop vs. Ultra Micro Amp/DAC combo
Oct 7, 2008 at 10:24 PM Post #2 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by penger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Other than size, what are the main differences between the two? I see that the Ultra Desktop probably has an Alps RK50, but what about the Ultra Micro Amp?

Thanks guys!

If by 'ultra desktop' you mean a Desktop Amp with all the available options, then you will have a much better potentiometer (stepped, no RK50), more caps for PSU filtration and shorter signal paths between the amp and DAC sections. You'll also have more i/o connectivity with full size RCA jacks and more versatile preamp functionality.

Otherwise, they are basically the same.

Oct 8, 2008 at 2:36 AM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by penger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Other than size, what are the main differences between the two? I see that the Ultra Desktop probably has an Alps RK50, but what about the Ultra Micro Amp? Thanks guys!

Hello Penger,

The Ultra Desktop is basically a "fully-loaded" HeadRoom Desktop Amp [max mod/max DAC] with an Alps BlueVelvet smooth-operation volume pot - NOT a stepped attenuator. The international-use all-voltage Astrodyne ps is included; our own superb HR Desktop Power Supply [DPS] remains available as a well-recommended upgrade path option. This particular Desktop configuration has proven to be one of our biggest sellers of the series, so it made sense to make it into its own distinct product with an eye towards improving 'in-stock' availability of that item (hopefully in the near future!
redface.gif
)

However, we can still offer a stepped potentiometer option for the Desktop Amp via our HeadRoom "Custom Shop" special-order dept. Please give our Sales Dept a call for full details on any 'special-order' HeadRoom amp
smily_headphones1.gif

In terms of design differences, the small-sized HeadRoom Micro chassis limits the input/output connection arrays available on the larger Desktop Amp, which features 'all-in-one' amp/DAC topology & stereo RCA inputs/outputs not feasible on the little Micros. However, the parts/internals, op-amp circuitry, and audio performance of the Ultra Micro will compare very favorably with the fully-loaded Ultra Desktop internals.

Cheers,
Jorge
HR Sales/Product Manager

Jun 9, 2009 at 10:51 AM Post #5 of 22
where does the desktop portable fall into this lineup so far as sound quality is concerned? Is it lower than the ultra micro soundwise but with more inputs etc...?

Jun 12, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #7 of 22
the ultra micro don't have the high freq filter switch like on the desktop models. i've heard the current HR crossfeed don't impact high freqs as in previous crossfeeds did but presumably there much be some degree of impact if HR still has the switch on the desk top models. can anyone comment on this?

Jun 13, 2009 at 1:26 AM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by JorgeC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello Penger,

The Ultra Desktop is basically a "fully-loaded" HeadRoom Desktop Amp [max mod/max DAC] with an Alps BlueVelvet smooth-operation volume pot - NOT a stepped attenuator. The international-use all-voltage Astrodyne ps is included; our own superb HR Desktop Power Supply [DPS] remains available as a well-recommended upgrade path option. This particular Desktop configuration has proven to be one of our biggest sellers of the series, so it made sense to make it into its own distinct product with an eye towards improving 'in-stock' availability of that item (hopefully in the near future!
redface.gif
)

However, we can still offer a stepped potentiometer option for the Desktop Amp via our HeadRoom "Custom Shop" special-order dept. Please give our Sales Dept a call for full details on any 'special-order' HeadRoom amp
smily_headphones1.gif

In terms of design differences, the small-sized HeadRoom Micro chassis limits the input/output connection arrays available on the larger Desktop Amp, which features 'all-in-one' amp/DAC topology & stereo RCA inputs/outputs not feasible on the little Micros. However, the parts/internals, op-amp circuitry, and audio performance of the Ultra Micro will compare very favorably with the fully-loaded Ultra Desktop internals.

Cheers,
Jorge
HR Sales/Product Manager

Question about the stepped attenuator -- I thought I saw a fairly recent comment here that this option is no longer being offered on the new Ultra Desktop or Balanced Ultra Desktop amps. Is this correct?

Jun 18, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by squirt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but presumably there much be some degree of impact if HR still has the switch on the desk top models. can anyone comment on this?

Sure, don't presume too much. It's still on the Desktop because we haven't flipped the board. But next time there is a product rev (quite a ways away, I suspect) it'll be gone. Pretty much, no one uses it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by twsmith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Question about the stepped attenuator -- I thought I saw a fairly recent comment here that this option is no longer being offered on the new Ultra Desktop or Balanced Ultra Desktop amps. Is this correct?

That is correct. Didn't get enough orders for them; and they were quite difficult to build. Also, the pots we use are so good that there is very little audible difference.

Aug 16, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If by 'ultra desktop' you mean a Desktop Amp with all the available options, then you will have a much better potentiometer (stepped, no RK50), more caps for PSU filtration and shorter signal paths between the amp and DAC sections. You'll also have more i/o connectivity with full size RCA jacks and more versatile preamp functionality.

Otherwise, they are basically the same.

"more caps for PSU filtration"... what does this amount to in audible terms?

Sep 4, 2009 at 8:30 AM Post #11 of 22
I also want to know if all those upgrades that were mentioned by TheSloth are translated to audible benefits..?
If not, I want to know why the desktop amp cost more than a ultra micro if they sound pretty much the same.

I own the ultra micro stack for a while with astrodynes, very much like the sound and the power of this stack....it is doing a wonderful job with all of my cans and especially the power hungry HD650.
But always wondered if i can go higher in the sound chain if I will upgrade to one of the more higher priced headroom amps, like the desktop line for example...and I am talking single ended only, let's leave balanced aside for this question because going balanced I am sure will bring blissful benefits without no doubt.

so if i will decide to stick with single ended drive...will upgrade to the ultra desktop improve the sound? if not, I guess that going balanced IS the only worthwhile upgrade to improve the sound and stay at the headroom's factory...

Sep 4, 2009 at 10:40 AM Post #12 of 22
IMO, moving from the ultra micro stack to the ultra desktop amp isn't so much about improving the sound, but more about having one unit instead of two smaller units, having a 1/4" and 1/8" headphone sockets to work with (you can use two headphones concurrently, having the filter switches, having RCA connectors at the back. Those differences do make for a significant difference in cost.

I purchased my Ultra Desktop Amp since I wanted those benefits and I also wanted to get that ultra sound into my office.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 4, 2009 at 8:20 PM Post #13 of 22
Good point, although it could be about having TWO units instead of FOUR, if you get the DPS for the Ultra Desktop or the Micro Stack with an Astrodyne each for the amp and DAC.

That's one reason I'm looking at the Desktop model instead of the Micro.

Sep 4, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #14 of 22
Yes. The Astrodynes units take up more space than the micro units they power. The DPS and UltraDesktop amp means less units. However, the Desktop enclosure is a lot bigger than that for the micro's.

Sep 5, 2009 at 7:52 AM Post #15 of 22
I have two questions:
In the ultra desktop, which is a dac+amp unit, how is the dac connected to the amp section inside the amp? I mean..is it connected by sort of a cable, or it is connected directly from the board?
the reason I am asking this is because the ultra desktop may have an atvantage over the micros by not using an interconnect cable , and the less interconnects the better.

the second question and one that always interested me:
how do they (headroom) put in all the electronic parts of the max module (in the past it was the much bigger max amp) inside of the tiny micros inclosure? are these exactly the same parts, or a smaller version of them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back