UltimateEars vs. Shure vs. Etymotic Research vs. Westone - smackdown! (sweetspot IEM)
Sep 13, 2007 at 12:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

webster

New Head-Fier
=============Background(youcanskip)==============
So, my first purchase has been Sony MDR-EX81SL earphones, I got them shortly after I got my 2G iPod mini.

At the time they were very worth their price (around $60), most comfortable earphones ever and very nice sound quality. They were superior to EX-71's (my friend had, I compared).

Unfortunately they were also built like crap, and the very thin cable just rubbed off.

crapolalagc4.jpg

I've since sold my ipods and have basically skipped a year. Now that the new ones are out I'm finally getting an 8GB fatty Nano. So that's my source. That and my music library which is mostly 192kbps, however I'm working on upgrading it to 256kbps.
============/Background(youcanskip)===============

Anyway, last year I set out on a search for the best bang for the buck in the next category. Basically around $200.

What I ended up with, was the holy trifecta:
  1. Shure E4c
  2. Ultimate Ear Super.fi 5 Pro
  3. Etymotic Research ER-4P

I figure, Speaker technology is "physics-limited" to a greater extent than other techs and more mature, plus there's a lot less space for creeping featuritis. And there aren't any new materials that have come out in the last year or two that would make a significant difference in manufacturing.

You reach a point where the law of diminishing returns comes very much into play, and I'm hardly enough of an audiophile to push much further upstream. Maybe in the future.

But how do you choose between those three without trying them out?

It was tough. According to this iLounge review, which was pretty much the only one I found to compare all three of them, UE wins.

I had my heart set on them in the end, I really liked the fact that they have detachable cables that can be replaced for $20 (because of my past experience, its reassuring).

DiscountHeadphones had the Shure's at $175 and the UE at $210. They were good prices at the time.

Anyway, I let it be for a year but now I'm going for it.
Looking up the Shure's on the google product search shows that their price virtually stayed the same at $175 (Amazon has them for $150), UE look like they can be had for $150 at most places.

Heres the kicker, DiscountHeadphones... has actually raised the prices to $299 (they say the E4c they have is a new model) and $229 ($210 when asked by email, same as a year ago).
So pretty much, two year old models kept their prices from last year.

I'm just wondering if there are options that I'm missing and if this is still the best deal.

I'm also concerned about this: Quote:

After only 2 weeks there were big cracks on the casing, and one had begun to fall apart. I found a long thread on Headfi.org where many owners have suffered the same, so this is not an isolated problem. Despite the amazing sound quality, this has been enough to put me off and I have taken my money back to get some Shure E5c's, rather than a new pair.

- headphonereviews.org, about the UE super.fi 5.

And I've only recently heard of Westone and their UM2 model which seems to be another viable contender here.

So what to do?

[size=xx-small](P.S. - Small caveat, I need to find a deal that accepts PayPal and ships internationally to Israel. Discountheadphones is the only one I found that does that.)[/size]

Sep 13, 2007 at 2:36 PM Post #2 of 31
i personally love multi driver iems,i own the shure se530 and would not leave my bed without them, out of your suggestions id say pick a dual driver iem because of 1 simple rule,if its too bassy you can turn the bass down or off,but if it ends up not warm enough with a single driver its very hard to compensate and get more warmth without ruining the sound.

it all depends on what sound you prefer,but its much easier to tune or EQ multi driver iems to your sound,but then still have good bass even when turned down,the er4's are great no doubt but its very much a one sound wonder, very hard to squeeze warmth out of it, the e4c is the middle man really does highs well (but not better than the ety) and does lows ok (but not better than the ue)

Sep 13, 2007 at 4:37 PM Post #4 of 31
Well unfortunately the iPod isn't big on equalization, there are a few presets but they are not customizable in anyway.

I'd go for the E500/SE530, but at $450 its way outside my budget. My wallet will smack me if I do it.
wink.gif

What's up with the SE line anyway? It seems other then the top of the line model its pretty disappointing.

So again, are the 4 options I listed in the OP basically still the best? Which should I go for? How does the UM2 compare to the super.fi?

Sep 13, 2007 at 5:59 PM Post #5 of 31
If you search you will find a lot of info on E4C versus ER4P versus SuperFi5Pro.

The short answer:
-ER4P is more detailed and fast. Flat frequency response from bass to treble.
-SuperFi5Pro has more bass. Better soundstage.
-E4C has better build-quality and ergonomics but has niether the bass of the SuperFi5Pro or the detail of the ER4P.

I have not heard the UM2 so I will not comment on it.

Good luck.

Sep 13, 2007 at 6:25 PM Post #6 of 31
My main concern with the Super.fi is comfort and build quality. It looks really big and my ears are small, I'm afraid it won't fit well, and if you don't wear the IEM well it doesn't matter how good it is.. I'm also scared that they'll break. Other then that, I'd go for them in a heart beat.

The ER4P sounds like its the most "correct" one but also the most boring one, and doesn't look very nice. Its at the bottom of the list.

iLounge has this glowing review of the UM2: Quote:

a sonic rival to Ultimate Ears’ super.fi 5 Pros, but with a slightly different sound signature that’s a little warmer at the expense of treble detail, a balance many people will like. The bigger difference is their fit: the UM2s are decidedly more comfortable thanks to an ear-hugging shape, braided cabling, and smooth, rather than rough-edged roam inserts.

They make it out like it has the sound of the Super.Fi with all the advantages of the E4C. Almost too good to be true.

The consensus here seems to be that they are the most comfortable and well built of the lot. But headphonereviews.org trash it on sound quality.

Quote:

The UM2s are very much a "fun" sound when compared to some of its immediate competitors the Etymotic ER4P and Shure E4c. The bass is very present, and the impact rivals some full-sized cans.

All IEMs I've owned have had some fatal flaw (ER4P with thin sound, E4c with flat, 2D sound) and the UM2 is no exception. Musical notes are a bit fuzzy around the edges, and lack sharpness (though to many this is a positive attribute).

Quote:

While enjoyment of the UM2 depends directly on whether you can deal with the bass, the upcoming UM3 seems intent on solving this problem.

The bass complaints scare me. And then there's the mythical UM3 which is supposed to be the IEM to Rule Them All. But who knows when it will come out, and its at least $100 out of my budget.

I don't know whom to believe, them or iLounge?

Sep 13, 2007 at 6:33 PM Post #7 of 31
I've got the SF5 Pros, and I have to use the double flanges to get a decent seal. I find them pretty comfortable.

Also, you can get them for ~$150-160 if you shop around, I paid about 159 for mine off of Amazon

Sep 13, 2007 at 7:03 PM Post #8 of 31
As far as accuracy and such The shure E4c is the best of the ones you mentioned. As far as being enjoyable, my favorite out of those is gonna definatelly be the westones. The westones are very musical and stuff, but a lil dark. Tha superfi are the second most enjoyable. THe ER4 I dont really see a reason for which you would buy it unless you want to hear their treble emphasis, which can indeed make some things sound cool. That innacuracy however, I find kills the music, and is well, innacurate. The shures have by far the best midrange, very good treble, and a somewhat accurate bass. But for the hell of enjoying the music and value I would choose the superfis. I have listened to them all, and have owned some of these, and single drivers just have a sound that although detailed and all, misses some fun.

Sep 13, 2007 at 9:39 PM Post #9 of 31
I think I'll go for the Super.fi's then. Unless somebody wants to sing the praises of the UM2's, it looks like the clear winner. I just hope they'll fit ok, and I'll baby them so they won't break.

I'm going with headphone.com <- $159, $40 shipping. Its a good store, right?

Sep 14, 2007 at 1:09 AM Post #11 of 31
Sep 14, 2007 at 2:24 AM Post #12 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Iriver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As far as accuracy and such The shure E4c is the best of the ones you mentioned. As far as being enjoyable, my favorite out of those is gonna definatelly be the westones. The westones are very musical and stuff, but a lil dark. Tha superfi are the second most enjoyable. THe ER4 I dont really see a reason for which you would buy it unless you want to hear their treble emphasis, which can indeed make some things sound cool. That innacuracy however, I find kills the music, and is well, innacurate. The shures have by far the best midrange, very good treble, and a somewhat accurate bass. But for the hell of enjoying the music and value I would choose the superfis. I have listened to them all, and have owned some of these, and single drivers just have a sound that although detailed and all, misses some fun.

Actually ER's are the accurate ones and shure's bloated treble is inaccurate bigtime. There are no speakers out there which will give that compressed treble like Shure's, any studio monitors or Hi-end speakers out there give the exact amount of treble as the Ety's, not Shure's. Shure simply doesn't have decent high frequency response and I find that really weird considering their price tag.

Sep 14, 2007 at 2:53 AM Post #13 of 31
Quote:

I think I'll go for the Super.fi's then. Unless somebody wants to sing the praises of the UM2's, it looks like the clear winner. I just hope they'll fit ok, and I'll baby them so they won't break.

I've owned both the SF5Pros and UM2s. I originally bought the SF5Pros but returned them mostly for comfort reasons. I could never get a good seal in my right ear (even with the flip-side mod). These were my first non-cheap earphones and i loved the sound. Those were the best ear/headphones i had owned at the time.

I then got the UM2s. These are comfortables IEMs. Getting a good seal was easy. But i thought the UM2s blew the SF5pros out of the water. The first time i listened to them i was wowed. The bass was present and surprised me but it wasn't boomy. The UM2s are warm but i liked the signature.

I think both IEMs are "fun" earphones (in a non-pejorative way). They fit in the same category of IEMs, they fill the same role but have a different signature (unlike say Ety ER-4 and SF5pro which do not fit in the same sonic category, from what i read). If the SF5pros had the same comfort then the UM2s i would be hard-pressed to choose between them. Then again i haven't listened to the SF5Pros in a year and my UM2s were stolen 4 months ago so... haven't listened to IEMs in a while.

Ah yeah. Try to listen to them or buy them from a place with a good return policy. Forums are cyclical and earphones get hyped on numerous threads at the same time. Now it seems the SF5pros are superior to the UM2s but a year ago everyone was all over the UM2s. So order one (or both) of them, listen to them and make a choice based on your ear. This last advice is written all over this forum but it's so true.

Sep 14, 2007 at 6:06 AM Post #15 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by iBug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually ER's are the accurate ones and shure's bloated treble is inaccurate bigtime. There are no speakers out there which will give that compressed treble like Shure's, any studio monitors or Hi-end speakers out there give the exact amount of treble as the Ety's, not Shure's. Shure simply doesn't have decent high frequency response and I find that really weird considering their price tag.

Bloated treble. Their treble is not bloated. In fact many complain the lack of bloat in the treble.To many its rolled off. ANd keep in mind im a musician. I work a lot around studios and monitors, and out of ALL the high end IEMs the Etys are the furthest from the sound of a field monitor. And if you do have experience with these monitors, you would understand that none of the IEMs have the exact high frequency sound of a high end speaker. high end speakers go so far frequency wise that they can create a much more realistic timbre. The shures extend really far in the treble and the lows. The treble is rolled off but its there, but it extends so far as to create a far more realistic timbre.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back