Ultimate Transportable Rig
May 14, 2007 at 11:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Spoon Wrangler

Head-Fier
I'm trying to get the very best portable or transportable rig possible! My source is the Archos 504 160GB. That in itself is quite bulky, so size is not too much of a problem as long as i can put everything in some sort of bag.I have a pair of K701s and E500s with a 75ohm resistor for especially strong headphone amps. I love them both very much.

The Archos has a digital coaxial out with its DVR station, so I want to use an external DAC. The AOS PACE and Flute look really cool, too bad they're no longer being made, because a one-box solution would have been nice. The only other options for a portable DAC that I've found are Headroom's Micro DAC or a used Piccolo. Which has better sound quality? Are there any other options out there that I'm missing?

For the amp, I have my eye on the HeadAmp AE-2 and LaRocco's upcoming Diablo. Are those the best portable amps available (or soon to be available) at this time?

Please give me your suggestions! Go crazy! And thanks in advance.

May 15, 2007 at 12:43 AM Post #2 of 25
Only you can make that call! For example I got together with Vorlon1 and three amps: TTVJ Millet, LaRocco PRII MkII, and SR71.

I picked up the LaRocco and the SR71 as my 1 and 2. Vorlon1 preferred the TTVJ Millet. Funny thing is to me the TTVJ Millet had the least soundstage of the three and Vorlon1 thought it had the widest. So you will have to listen to make sure.

May 15, 2007 at 2:06 AM Post #4 of 25
Hope the bags don't cost as much as the cans....

(Custom ones.)

- lk

May 15, 2007 at 2:07 AM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by ywd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would say that if you want "Ultimate" with IEMs, you should go for customs.

Can't agree with this more. I just got my customs & it blew me away...
eek.gif

May 15, 2007 at 2:27 AM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spoon Wrangler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... The only other options for a portable DAC that I've found are Headroom's Micro DAC or a used Piccolo. Which has better sound quality? Are there any other options out there that I'm missing?

The Apogee Mini DAC can be used with an external battery pack like Tekkeon MyPower. I already have a Micro DAC, it sounds great, but I am thinking about getting an Apogee some time in the future. I have never heard it, but this option will be the one you are missing.
very_evil_smiley.gif

My ultimate rig would be substituting my Micro DAC with this Apogee and getting a custom IEM in addition to what I have. I am very satisfied with Hornet and would not buy another amp for portable usage.

May 15, 2007 at 2:31 AM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by ywd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would say that if you want "Ultimate" with IEMs, you should go for customs.

I was planning on upgrading whenever Westone came out with a custom version of the 3, which is now looking quite far off. But I'm very happy with the E500s for now.

By the way, does anyone know if the PACE has the same digital attenuator that the Flute has? It sounds like a cool feature.

May 15, 2007 at 3:33 AM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by justin2net /img/forum/go_quote.gif
holy crap, whats that on the left hip (from the picture). multiple mp3 players?

Mini reactors er... Batteries of course. I think?

May 15, 2007 at 3:44 AM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by justin2net /img/forum/go_quote.gif
holy crap, whats that on the left hip (from the picture). multiple mp3 players?

I guess his multiple mp3 players (there are 2 ihp-1x0 remotes) are in the headroom bag in front of him...

There are definitely battery packs, portable dac(s) and amp(s) somewhere...
blink.gif
icon10.gif

May 15, 2007 at 4:17 AM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdeadfolx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That guy has never been in the same room as a nude woman.

cmon. we're all like that.
600smile.gif
spare him

wait. the microphonics...

May 15, 2007 at 5:07 AM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdeadfolx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That guy has never been in the same room as a nude woman.

LOL noob

everyone knows that girls flock to SiBurning. Hes the man

jk jk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back