Ultimate Sony a728 Equalizer and DAC settings
Jul 3, 2008 at 4:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 101

realstar

Head-Fier
Hi, I just want to share what I found to be the ultimate settings for my particular setup. (I did a lot of trial and error with almost every combination) I am using the Sony a728b with Sennheiser HD580s running
into a PA2v2 amp.

Volume on player: 17
DAC settings (firmware menu)
(enable "hold" switch, then while holding the menu button press:
up, up, down, down, right, left, up , down, up ,down, right, play/pause)
Bass: -1.5 @ 50Hz
Treble: -7.5 @ 15kHz

Clear Bass: +1
Equalizers: +2, +1, 0, +2, +1
DSEE, Clear Stereo and Normalizer: OFF

I wasn't really happy with the sound until I found these settings and now I am loving it. Really improves midrange + vocals and doesn't sound "synthetic" anymore. I mainly listen to Heavy Metal but this works good with nearly everything I played from Judas Priest and Manowar to Madonna and Tears for Fears. I hope someone else finds these settings useful.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 3, 2008 at 4:53 PM Post #2 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by realstar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, I just want to share what I found to be the ultimate settings for my particular setup. (I did a lot of trial and error with almost every combination) I am using the Sony a728b with Sennheiser HD580s running
into a PA2v2 amp.

Volume on player: 17
Bass: -1.5 @ 50Hz
Treble: -7.5 @ 15kHz

Clear Bass: +1
Equalizers: +2, +1, 0, +2, +1
DSEE, Clear Stereo and Normalizer: OFF

I wasn't really happy with the sound until I found these settings and now I am loving it. Really improves midrange + vocals and doesn't sound "synthetic" anymore. I mainly listen to Heavy Metal but this works good with nearly everything I played from Judas Priest and Manowar to Madonna and Tears for Fears. I hope someone else finds these settings useful.
smily_headphones1.gif

Just tried this on my A829 and can't see any of the Bass: Treble: Settings. I get a load of nice bubbles floating about and mostly testing settings.

?

Jul 3, 2008 at 4:57 PM Post #3 of 101
Go down to the one labeled "DAC" and then enter B-GAIN or T-GAIN to change. Option key changes the Hz and up/down the gain. Select "ExitTest" when done changing the settings. Also take note of the original settings in case you want to revert. I think most sony players should have the same options...

Jul 3, 2008 at 5:49 PM Post #4 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by realstar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go down to the one labeled "DAC" and then enter B-GAIN or T-GAIN to change. Option key changes the Hz and up/down the gain. Select "ExitTest" when done changing the settings. Also take note of the original settings in case you want to revert. I think most sony players should have the same options...

Oh right. Was a bit dubious to go into that option
redface.gif
I'll have a looky

Jul 3, 2008 at 5:57 PM Post #5 of 101
Quote:

How the hell did you know/learn about this?! Maybe its just my naievity but is this a common thing you can do with DAps?

Also, is it reversible?

Jul 3, 2008 at 6:54 PM Post #6 of 101
It's mentioned in the service manual and there are some other head-fi posts about it too. I have played around with it a lot without any negative effects and you can just set everything back to defaults if you want. (make note before changing) Only the DAC settings seem useful anyway.

Another note: It sounds great on my Grado sr225s too.

Jul 4, 2008 at 6:27 AM Post #7 of 101
Jul 4, 2008 at 7:16 AM Post #8 of 101
Nice little trick you shared there. I just did it on my 728 as well, and you're right, it does sound more natural. Hope you enjoy your new dock, hehe.

Jul 4, 2008 at 7:49 AM Post #9 of 101
Okay, just did it and indeed it sounds great!

My original custom EQ was pretty much the same as Realstar's in the first post. That setting definitely sounds the best, raising clear bass to 2 sounds good too.

Jul 4, 2008 at 3:14 PM Post #12 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by CHINABOY1021 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for activating the service menu, what do you mean "while holding the menu button..."

The menu button is the option/off button, the right button.

Anyone up with those factory settings? Seems we all got too excited to write them down.

Jul 5, 2008 at 12:12 AM Post #14 of 101
DAC Settings:
Bass: -0.0 @ 50Hz
Treble: -4.5 @ 15kHz

EQ Settings:
Clear Bass: +2
Equalizers: +2, -1, +1, +2, +1
DSEE, Clear Stereo: OFF
Normalizer: ON

These work for me. I'm glad to see I'm not alone w/my adjusting of the DAC settings to clear up Sony's strange sense of SQ upgrade. Now, this is on par w/my D2!!!!

Jul 5, 2008 at 12:40 AM Post #15 of 101
my treble settings seem to go up to 1.5 but dont go down?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back