Ultimate Silver Cable Helps Dialog Intelligibility
Mar 27, 2008 at 9:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

edstrelow

Headphoneus Supremus
I recently obtained a 2 m silver cable from Ultimate Cables. I was looking for a reasonably inexpensive interconnect between my dvd player and an older analog Yamaha Dolby Surround set-up which I continue to use after many years both because it has a great DSP (6 speaker ambience creation system) for stereo playback and because I haven't located a more modern digital decoder which still allows me to use my main power amp with my main stereo speakers. Dolby Surround is ok but I would like to move up to digital processing however it just isn't happening for me. But I didn't want to spend much money on an interconnect because if I went to Dolby Digital then I would need a different interconnect.

Ultimate has a Silver Series C-4 and I used the cheapest connectors. 2m cost $65.00. It claims to be a 50/50 silver/copper wire.

Silver Series C4 - RCA Interconnects Silver Series C4 Audio Cables interconnects : Ultimate Cables - Silver Audio Cables, Bringing your music closer!

I waited about 2 weeks for delivery. I did not get a confirming e-mail although I could confirm the order by going to my account on their site.

The wires were not particularly unusual. A bit thinner than some and a bit stiffer. They sounded pretty good out of the box and I was able to get many hours of breakin by leaving the dvd players tv tuner running.

By comparison with a comparably priced Monster cable I had been using, most sounds seemed clearer, most notably the treble and midrange but even the bass seemed better defined. Overall, the sound now has a smooth almost liquid quality which seems much more musical.

One problem which I had with the Dolby unit was a lack of intelligibility of dialog in the movies. For example the final monolog of Chingichgook in the Last of the Mohicans sounded mumbled and you could barely make out what was being said. With this and other movies we would sometimes put on the subtitles to follow what was being said. Now it is much clearer and easier to follow what is being said.

I think that dialog intelligibility is a good test of the accuracy of a system including interconnects. You can debate about the subjectivity of many aspects of sound whether they "sound better" or not, but if you can't follow the words then you know you have a problem. This is about as objective a measure as you are going to get of sonic fidelity.

The more I use these the more I like the sound of movies with them. Aside from the intelligibility of dialog, it is more expressive and as I noted above, the sound track sounds more pleasantly musical.

Mar 28, 2008 at 3:32 AM Post #3 of 4
I got a pair of 1m interconnects and a power cable from Carl. He's a great guy to deal with. I had to send my amp to Grado for repairs so I unfortunately haven't used them enough to make a definitive opinion but I can vouch for the clarity of the interconnects. I've been burning them in in the meantime and I can't wait to have my gear back up and running.
biggrin.gif

Apr 7, 2008 at 10:06 PM Post #4 of 4
Several more movies down and the intelligibility is still impressive. All of Marlon Brando's mumbles in Apocalypse now are clear and intelligible. Overall sound quality is excellent too, more musical and listenable overall and deep dynamic bass. Also forced me to take care of the bad rear channel amp which was more obviously overloading on deep bass.

There is always some jackass in this forum who wants to argue about the effect of tweaks on sound quality, but you can't argue about the intelligibility of dialog or more bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back