Ultimate portable DAC/amp?
Mar 21, 2014 at 4:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Solrighal

Headphoneus Supremus
As the thread title implies - what is the very best truly portable headphone DAC/amp out there? It would have to be self-powered. Is there an ultimate?

I use a Fiio E18 and it's great but I'm constantly curious as to what's actually possible from a portable device. I want better sound but I'd rather not tie myself to a desk.

With summer coming (at least in this hemisphere) it would be great to sit around in the garden with top quality audio.

Any thoughts?

Mar 21, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #2 of 8
I have the e17, and based on my Fiio history, I'm not big fan of their sound.  I just got my JDS Labs C5D and it's excellent to my ears.  It helps that they have a website to back up the specs.  
tongue.gif

Mar 21, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #4 of 8
I have the e17, and based on my Fiio history, I'm not big fan of their sound.  I just got my JDS Labs C5D and it's excellent to my ears.  It helps that they have a website to back up the specs.  :p

I just replied to you in the C5D thread, lol. I'm led to believe the E17 has the Fiio "house" sound due to their reliance on Wolfson DACs, ie warm. The E18 was an attempt to get away from that and so they employed Texas Instruments DACs which have a leaner, faster signature.

From what you're saying I'd be better off with a Fiio E17. Can I ask what headphones you're using with the C5D?

Mar 21, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #5 of 8
I think It might be because the USB is not getting enough power so I tried the back where I believe provide more power.  I think it's fuller now.  
L3000.gif
  Sorry for the constant rant, just needed to correct myself.

Mar 21, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #6 of 8
I just replied to you in the C5D thread, lol. I'm led to believe the E17 has the Fiio "house" sound due to their reliance on Wolfson DACs, ie warm. The E18 was an attempt to get away from that and so they employed Texas Instruments DACs which have a leaner, faster signature.

From what you're saying I'd be better off with a Fiio E17. Can I ask what headphones you're using with the C5D?

I'm using SE836, I wish I had the TG334 to test out though.  SE846 has potential to be bright so I think the C5D is pushing it's treble.

Mar 21, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #7 of 8

I'm using SE836, I wish I had the TG334 to test out though.  SE846 has potential to be bright so I think the C5D is pushing it's treble.

Dude, I opened several threads in multiple tabs and everytime I read your posts I feel like I confused threads lol
I read the same 3 times, here, se846 and JDS thread :wink: 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back