Ultimate KSC-50 mod!!! Team Cheapie-Koss report in!
Aug 30, 2001 at 10:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

JJDyn0mite

100+ Head-Fier
Ok, the main complaint with the koss ksc-50's is that they are a little loose fitting and uncomfortable as well, due to the rough edges on the plastic parts that contact behind your ear (well, actually, right at the top where your ear attaches to your head...).

Anyway, I was mowing the lawn today and they started to aggrivate my ears so I started thinking of ways to improve the comfort level and here's what I came up with:

Materials list:
moda.jpg

-Koss KSC-50 clip on headphones: $14.99 @ circuit city
-Croakies sunglass retainers (or in my case, the generic equivalent): $1.97 @ WalMart
-Butter Knife (what DIY mod is complete without a butter knife?): $$ @ kitchen cabinet

Step 1:
modb.jpg

Fit the croakies over the tip of the ear clip piece on the ksc-50's

Step 2:
modc.jpg

Wiggle the croakies gently over the ear clip, don't get in too big of a hurry doing this because the clip will bend easily (of course you can always bend it back)

Step 3:
modd.jpg

I put it almost all the way to the point where the ear clip attaches to the earphone

Step 4:
modf.jpg

Repeat process on the other side

Final product:
modh.jpg

This mod not only makes these headphones immensely more comfortable, but it's also great for when you need to take them off your ears for a few minutes, like when your wife wants to talk to you. Very convenient, very comfortable, very stylish. This is the epitome of efficient modding!
smily_headphones1.gif

Another neat trick is that you can play with the tension of the croakies on the back of your neck to make the headphones more snug (i.e. more bass ala ksc-35's/sportapro's/etc...) and give a tighter fit, no more worries about having them fall off while running or biking!

Oh, yeah, I bet you're still wondering what the butter knife was for:

modg.jpg

You didn't think I'd actually use this to MODIFY HEADPHONES, did you?? Everyone knows that butter knives are for buttering, NOT MANGLING HEADPHONES!!
wink.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Hope some of you like this mod and give it a try, can't beat it for $1.97!!

JJ

Aug 30, 2001 at 11:22 PM Post #2 of 18
Very cool mod.....too bad I already HAVE the headphones your wanna-bes wanna be like (the KSC-35)
tongue.gif
j/k of course

Lol, at the butter knife!

Aug 30, 2001 at 11:29 PM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

JJDyn0mite said...

You didn't think I'd actually use these to MODIFY HEADPHONES, did you?? Everyone knows that butter knives are for buttering, NOT MANGLING HEADPHONES!!
wink.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Hehe, this public service announcement brought to you by JJDyn0mite.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 31, 2001 at 12:34 AM Post #4 of 18
The instant I saw that butter knife, I hit the back button...

but I had to figure out how to post so... I came back...

Aug 31, 2001 at 12:56 AM Post #8 of 18
My web server seems to be acting a little wonky, so you may have to wait a bit to see the pics. Unless someone else knows where I can host them more reliably.

Neruda, what makes you think I was referring to you
wink.gif

Anyway, I've been testing this mod most of the day and I'm really impressed with the overall improvement.

If anyone is too intimidated to try this on your own, I'll be happy to perform the service for a modest profit
wink.gif

I've always wanted to make DIY DBSE equipment!! Too bad this is about the limit of my technical skills...

Aug 31, 2001 at 2:46 PM Post #11 of 18
lol, a wise lesson here guys! it's not called butterknive for nothing
tongue.gif

nice mod!

Dec 13, 2001 at 4:38 AM Post #14 of 18
I guess he took the pictures off his website after people lost interest in the thread...

still, it's not complicated to explain. just buy some croakies and fit them over the earclip like you would on a pair of sunglasses.

Dec 14, 2001 at 12:01 AM Post #15 of 18
sorry about the pics, I fogot all about this thread, but like neruda said, it's a pretty straightforward mod, just put croakies on them and you can wear them when they aren't on, and it makes the earpieces softer, they always bothered my ears cause the edges were rough.

I had to take the pics down to make room for all the baby stuff, he just came 2 days ago and I wanted to share the pics with everyone. Glad you think he's cute, I do too, but I'm a little partial
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks and have fun with your ksc-50's.

JJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back