Ultimate high end IEM recommendation
May 13, 2015 at 2:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

lerxst

Head-Fier
I've been using a pair of UE PRMs for about 3 years now, and though I love them to death, I want to try something new. The PRMs are extremely neutral and great for mixing, but I was without them a few days ago and had to resort to using my old UE TripleFi 10s and it was amazing how much more fun music sounds. I would not want to do critical audio work with them (I have the PRMs for that) but for just plain enjoying music, I wish I had high end IEMs that had a similar amount of, for lack of a better term, "funness", but with the clarity and space that a good set of high end IEMs can provide.

I've been eying JH Audio for a long time, and was initially excited about the Roxanne model, but after reading of multi-month shipping delays, and then subsequent QC issues with the Layla and Angie, I am a bit concerned about giving them my money. Their also doesn't seem to be a consensus about how actually GOOD these new models are. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

So I come to this forum with a question: what other brands should I be considering? I'm really only familiar with JH and UE's products. The PRMs were not cheap (~$2k) and I am willing to pay a similar amount of money, if necessary, for what I want.

May 13, 2015 at 9:23 AM Post #2 of 6
I'll add a couple of ideas - not high-end strictly speaking but matching your requirements. Mid-end might be more like it. And universal.

The Fidue A83 is a very fun sounding hybrid IEM and has loads of the clarity/space you seek.

Or there's the Dunu DN2000 which is another hybrid BA/dynamic model, you get a very full and detailed sound but still relatively smooth.

Final Audio's Heaven VIII single BA model is the fun version of the Heaven VII (which is neutral) and is a very good one to look at too. Approaching high end.

Actually the Dita Answer 'Truth Edition' might be in high-end territory - a single dynamic driver does the lot. It's cheaper brother the non-truth edition is basically the same but without the silver cable.

May 14, 2015 at 6:22 AM Post #5 of 6
The Noble Audio K10s seem to be a popular choice around here (and they look gorgeous). Can't comment on the sound quality, never actually heard them.

May 14, 2015 at 8:20 AM Post #6 of 6
  The Noble Audio K10s seem to be a popular choice around here (and they look gorgeous). Can't comment on the sound quality, never actually heard them.

Very true, if the OP likes UE (I have the 900), then the K10 is a very logical next step.  Roxanne, Angle, and Layla are nice and all, but they are no where as usable on a daily basis compare to the K10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back