Ultimate Headphones for Computer Gaming?
Sep 19, 2004 at 4:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Mabo

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone, this is my first post on Head-Fi so please bear with me while I try to explain my question. I am looking for a pair of headphones that cost less than 200 dollars and will be primarily used for computer gaming (70%) and listening to music on my computer (30%). I have an Audigy 2 Platinum sound card that I will be using as the source for my headphones. I realize that this sound card is not the best sound card for recreating music but it is one of the best for gaming (which is fine by me).

I am not interested in upgrading my cans with new wires or spending extra money on a dedicated amp. I am not concerned about the sound leaking from my headphones and disturbing those around me, or about their portablity. I am looking for cans that can acurately reproduce sounds in a spatial sense (like if someone is shooting behind me, or sneaking around on my left) and will be comfortable to wear for long periods of time. I also want my headphones that have a little room to grow, by that I mean I would rather get something a little bit better than what I need so when sound cards improve in the future I will not be missing out on listening to music being I bought a pair of cans specificly designed for gaming.

So what would you recommend? Remeber they have to cost less than 200 dollars (although I would be interested in hearing about the ones that cost more). Let me know if more information is needed to accurately answer my question.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 19, 2004 at 4:39 PM Post #2 of 19
For around $200, I would say the Audio technica A900, Sennheiser HD25-1, and the Sennheiser HD595. I haven't heard these myself, buy they are commonly recommended for both gaming and sound quality.

Sep 19, 2004 at 4:40 PM Post #3 of 19
a900 is awesome for counterstrike, its almost as good as a wall hack
biggrin.gif

Sep 19, 2004 at 4:43 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
For around $200, I would say the Audio technica A900, Sennheiser HD25-1, and the Sennheiser HD595. I haven't heard these myself, buy they are commonly recommended for both gaming and sound quality.

I don't really like my HD25-1 for pc games, not enough 3D imaging and soundstage.

Edit: I'd look for something comfortable, with good bass and a decent soundstage.

Sep 19, 2004 at 5:15 PM Post #5 of 19
I too would second the A900. It works well unamped, has good soundstage, ie. positioning, is very forgiving, and will sound better as your source improves.

Although could get a used Senn. HD555 and a used headphone amp for around $200, but you said you don't want to buy an amp right now.

Sep 19, 2004 at 6:13 PM Post #7 of 19
I play with my Sennheiser HD-580 and they're very good.
Last mini-lan I played, they couldn't understand how I was able to aim at them even behind a wall or something
biggrin.gif

Sep 19, 2004 at 6:23 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Welly Wu
No, Sennheiser HD280 Professional.

hell no, with crap source (read: AUDIGY) the hd280 will sound like crap cause it reveals all the crapness that is within the source.

Quote:

I am not concerned about the sound leaking from my headphones and disturbing those around me, or about their portablity.

are you concerned with sound leaking INTO your headphones from outside?

Sep 19, 2004 at 6:59 PM Post #10 of 19
ATH-A900 sound the best (without an amp) of the alternatives suggested. I haven't tried the HD-595s, but I'd say that the ATH-A900s are better than the others.

I would go for the audiotechnicas, unless you wanted to save money.

Sep 19, 2004 at 7:14 PM Post #11 of 19
Thank you everyone for your help. This is a really nice forum, with good people and prompt responses. I will probably order my Audio-Technica ATH-A900's tomorrow from audiocubes2.com. However I'm still open to suggestions in case anyone wants to try and sway me. If anyone can suggest another good online retailer besides audiocubes2.com I would be interested.

Sep 19, 2004 at 7:20 PM Post #12 of 19
Well, I somehow think the A900s might be slightly overkill for your purposes (mostly gaming), but you did set your budget at 200USD... so if you have no need for that extra Benjamin in your pocket, go for it, I don't think you will disappointed =)

Sep 19, 2004 at 7:21 PM Post #13 of 19
I read 'ultimate' and was going to make my recommendation with one more zero in mind. Oh well, never mind.
tongue.gif

The A900's are great for gaming. The Ultrasone HFI-650 was to my mind better despite the less expansive soundstage. The HD280 passed my 3D positioning test too, but the HFI-650 was so much better for this use.

But I don't think you can go wrong with the A900 if you plan to mix in 'a bit of this and a bit of that' along with gaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back