Ultimate Ears
Nov 4, 2007 at 4:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

audiogremlin

New Head-Fier
Is there a big enough difference between the Triple.fi and the Super.fi 5 Pro to justify the cost difference? Anyone with experience with either one or both, please chime in.

I'll be using it with an EMU 0202 and a Cowon D2. I currently have the Super.fi 3 Studio.

Thanks.

Nov 5, 2007 at 1:33 AM Post #2 of 9
I have both and there is a HUGE difference. Much more difference that the equivalent Shure step up from E4 to SE530.

Hard to put a dollar on it from a Head-Fi perspective but everything is more controlled. Nothing splashy, siblant or rolled off. Just awesome. Midrange, like all UE products is a little recessed but the bass, treble and soundstage is the best of any IEM I have ever used on a a fairly long list. Not sure what else to say. So fricken detailed. Just traded them for my SE530's and I don't regret it one bit.

Nov 5, 2007 at 1:35 AM Post #3 of 9
The super.fi 5s are great for the money but the triple.fi 10's are on another level. If you can afford it and want it, I would go for triple.fi 10's.

Nov 5, 2007 at 1:50 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by ipacmm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The super.fi 10s are great for the money but the triple.fi 10's are on another level. If you can afford it and want it, I would go for triple.fi 10's.

I am assuming you meant the super.fi 5 not the 10's

Nov 5, 2007 at 2:01 AM Post #5 of 9
Spyro,

How's the difference in the bass department? I find that the 5s do require some voluming-up to get that bass that I want (but now it's a different story with an amp)...but just straight out of an ipod, how is it?

I usually go between 25% - 50% of the ipod's total volume to get the bass that I want *if that helps

Nov 5, 2007 at 2:08 AM Post #6 of 9
Out of universal IEMs, I would recommend either the Triple.fi or the Shure SE530 - both are significantly better than UE Super.fi 5 Pros. Get the Triple.fi, if you want a dryer, airier, and more detailed presentation and the Shure SE530 if you want a more neutral sound with a fuller midrange and more impactful bass. Also, the Shures will isolate better and won't stick out of your ears as much, but the UEs may actually be more comfy for extended use. Another great option would be the Livewires T1 custom-fit IEMs - at $250 they are the cheapest customs money can buy, but offer great sound quality - noticeably better than UE Super.fi 5 Pros I am sure - plus better isolation and comfort than any universal-fit IEMs due to custom fit.

Nov 5, 2007 at 2:12 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by only500made /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Spyro,

How's the difference in the bass department? I find that the 5s do require some voluming-up to get that bass that I want (but now it's a different story with an amp)...but just straight out of an ipod, how is it?

I usually go between 25% - 50% of the ipod's total volume to get the bass that I want *if that helps

I would say the TFP sound better at lower volumes. I think the Super Fi sounds a little bassier but it is actually an exagerrated lower mid frequency and kind of loose and...well...sloppy in my opinion. The Triple Fi truly extends deeper. You can prove this by running both through a test tone module. But in no way would I say the TFP is bass shy, like some say with Ety. It's actually a pretty thick and full sound. The whole presentation of TFP is more refined top to bottom. SFP sounds pretty bassy to me, and bright on the top end but a little wet/splashy and siblant, a little fatiguing at higher volumes. TFP is more balanced and butter smooth. The drier arier sound sig keeps all siblance away. No fatigue at all. Takes a little getting used to. Not sure that helps you any.

I also agree with Pianists comments.

The

Nov 5, 2007 at 4:15 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Out of universal IEMs, I would recommend either the Triple.fi or the Shure SE530 - both are significantly better than UE Super.fi 5 Pros. Get the Triple.fi, if you want a dryer, airier, and more detailed presentation and the Shure SE530 if you want a more neutral sound with a fuller midrange and more impactful bass. Also, the Shures will isolate better and won't stick out of your ears as much, but the UEs may actually be more comfy for extended use. Another great option would be the Livewires T1 custom-fit IEMs - at $250 they are the cheapest customs money can buy, but offer great sound quality - noticeably better than UE Super.fi 5 Pros I am sure - plus better isolation and comfort than any universal-fit IEMs due to custom fit.

x2,this sums up whats what between shures and UE, pretty accurate

Nov 5, 2007 at 5:57 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiogremlin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there a big enough difference between the Triple.fi and the Super.fi 5 Pro to justify the cost difference? Anyone with experience with either one or both, please chime in.

I'll be using it with an EMU 0202 and a Cowon D2. I currently have the Super.fi 3 Studio.

Thanks.

I used Super.Fi 5 Pros for about 2 years before I upgraded to the Triple.Fi's. In my opinion, yes, they are absolutely worth the price difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back