Ultimate Ears UE-5C
Sep 12, 2007 at 7:51 PM Post #17 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
£500 is out of my budget, if they were around £250-£300 ($500-$600) maybe.

Does anyone know the difference between the UE5c and the UE5pro?

I like my rnb and soul, and sometimes enjoy the heavy bass, from what i have

I'll wait and see what westone say to my email, basically is comes down to cost.

Being in European Union, the only reasonable way to order earphones from UE/Westone is having a friend in US who will reroute your package with the appropriate customs declarations (gift, low value), so your package will be cleared by customs office without any duty etc. Otherwise you can be sure that, UE/Westone will send your earphones as a standard commercial package (invoice included) and your local customs office will ask you to pay around 25% of the invoice value to clear your package. The fee consists of duty (7%) and VAT (17.5% in UK IIRC).

So your base webpage price of 700$ will be around 900$ in total.

There is always a risk of getting your package stuck in customs office when ordering from outside the EU, so if you
decide to go that route, have the money ready just in case, otherwise - if you don't pay - they will just send your package back.

Sep 12, 2007 at 9:03 PM Post #18 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by kichu1979 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Being in European Union, the only reasonable way to order earphones from UE/Westone is having a friend in US who will reroute your package with the appropriate customs declarations (gift, low value), so your package will be cleared by customs office without any duty etc. Otherwise you can be sure that, UE/Westone will send your earphones as a standard commercial package (invoice included) and your local customs office will ask you to pay around 25% of the invoice value to clear your package. The fee consists of duty (7%) and VAT (17.5% in UK IIRC).

So your base webpage price of 700$ will be around 900$ in total.

There is always a risk of getting your package stuck in customs office when ordering from outside the EU, so if you
decide to go that route, have the money ready just in case, otherwise - if you don't pay - they will just send your package back.

I've already thought of this mate, a friend is coming over in a months time, i can get them delivered to him and he can bring them over for me. It would be pretty pointless to get them imported then pay the ridiculous taxes. I might aswel order them here, atleast i can get a problem fixed quicker.

Sep 12, 2007 at 9:09 PM Post #19 of 32
I'm just wondering though, customs rarely fit perfectly the first time, what will you do if you come up against that?

Sep 12, 2007 at 9:37 PM Post #20 of 32
Quote:

sorry thought you had mentioned the UM2.

The custom ES are more difficult for me to get a hold of, as i dont know of a place in england that do them, also I couldn't find the cost online wither. I'll email Westone directly.

I've got an appointment tomorrow to get my moulds done, so I still have time to decide and also read up reviews for the ES2.

I wouldn't recommend the ES2 for you either. From what I hear, you have to send your IEMs back to Westone to have the filters replaced (unless you want to do it yourself with Ety filters). As you live in the UK, this might be a hassle when the time arrives.

Sep 12, 2007 at 9:40 PM Post #21 of 32
Quote:

£500 is out of my budget, if they were around £250-£300 ($500-$600) maybe.

Does anyone know the difference between the UE5c and the UE5pro?

The UE Super.Fi 5 pro is a universal fit IEM. You can get them online for $200. I just sold a pair.

The UE-5c is a custom IEM.

The differences..... aside from the custom fit, the drivers in the UE-5c are their high-end armatures (same as UE-7, UE-10, UE-11, and Triple.Fi). The drivers in the Super.Fi 5 pro are their lower-end armatures.

Sep 12, 2007 at 9:43 PM Post #22 of 32
Quote:

The reason for this post was mainly if the general SQ would improve with a ray sameuls amp, some reviews say the difference with the UE5 is marginal some say its worth it......just wanted to know more views.

Yes, an amp will always help. The Tomahawk is probably a great amp, but if you are on a budget, you can get portable amps for a lot cheaper. You might be better off getting a cheaper one first and seeing if you like carrying around the extra load with you. Only you will be able to determine if the extra bulk is worth it to your ears. Then if you want to upgrade, which you will eventually as we all do, you can sell your amp and get a better one.
cool.gif

Sep 12, 2007 at 9:47 PM Post #23 of 32
I have the iPhone and UE-5cs. They sound great without an amp. I have the little Griffin dongle that Apple sells in their stores. Not sure if you need one with the iPod touch, though.

Only thing is that it's a little trickier to get the volume just right with the iPhone/touch interface than it is with a wheel, and since the UE5c are so sensitive, that can be a little pain.

But obviously, that's an issue with the iPod, not the earphones... any sensitive set of phones will have the same problem.

Sep 12, 2007 at 11:08 PM Post #24 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The UE Super.Fi 5 pro is a universal fit IEM. You can get them online for $200. I just sold a pair.

The differences..... aside from the custom fit, the drivers in the UE-5c are their high-end armatures (same as UE-7, UE-10, UE-11, and Triple.Fi). The drivers in the Super.Fi 5 pro are their lower-end armatures.

I know this
smily_headphones1.gif

On the UE website, in the custom section it mentions UE5Pro. Super.Fi pro are not on their custom section.

Thanks for the help guys, I'll give Andy a call from ACS and learn more about their product, it seems impressive/

It does seem that there would be a bit of hassle if the customs didn't fit etc, sending them back to the states and paying duty again and again, lol, it would be really pointless.

Thanks again for all your help !!

Sep 12, 2007 at 11:11 PM Post #25 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif

id love to know what exactly are high end and low end armatures,and where does it say that on the ue site, im not sayin it is not true id just genuinly like to know whats the differences in the armatures

Sep 12, 2007 at 11:59 PM Post #26 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
id love to know what exactly are high end and low end armatures,and where does it say that on the ue site, im not sayin it is not true id just genuinly like to know whats the differences in the armatures

I don't think it says it on the site, as that would make their universal line (except for the triple.fi) look like a bad product.

Just call up anyone at UE and they will tell you. Jeanette told me this when I bought the Triple.Fi. Besides, if you can't hear the difference in the SQ between the universal products and the custom/TF10pro to know that different armatures are being used, you probably don't need to own the better ones.
wink.gif

Sep 13, 2007 at 12:07 AM Post #27 of 32
thats cool,i believe ya i just wasnt sure how this could be told,obviously listening to the triple fi are super fi 5 they are both on a different level but i put this down to the extra driver defining the bass better,i still took the shure se530 over the triple fi so they cant be that special
tongue.gif
whats even more interesting is i prefered the shures to the ue10 aswell,theres something adictive about that warmth

Sep 13, 2007 at 12:17 AM Post #29 of 32
yeh your right i think its the filters tho,i think you will find its the same with the er4's aswell,there was a debate about filters not so long ago about them being interchangeable between the shures, westones and etymotics and they are all different colours signifying different sound signatures (well i dont think the colours determines what signature you get ofcourse what i mean is you may get different sounds from different filters)

Sep 13, 2007 at 1:10 PM Post #30 of 32
You'll love the UE5c -- fantastic bass! Don't worry about an amp -- they are tuned specifically to make up for iPod deficiencies so while an amp might improve things it is not necessary.

I've used mine with the iPhone, iPod 5.5g, the new iPod classic and new nano, and all previous models of iPods. Everything sounds great, but especially the iPhone and the new Classic.

You're going to love them -- I've had mine for more than three years and they still rock!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back