Ultimate Ears UE-5C
Sep 12, 2007 at 1:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

SpaceMonkey

Head-Fier
After weeks of research and web browsing I've finally decided that the UE-5C are the best option.

I would have loved to get the upper models but my budget can't stretch that far, the reason being is that I'll be ordering from the US (im in the UK) so i'm certain that I will be hit by the duty taxes.

However its ends up still cheaper than getting them from London where a company is selling the UE-5C's for £500 ($1,015), which is ridiculous.

Anyway back to my questions, this set will be connected to the Ipod Touch once it arrives, just wanted to know if there was any need to save for a portable amp. I'm guessing the internals of the Ipod Touch would be the same as the Iphone (music playing internals), since the iphone isn't out in the UK i'd like to ask any americans who have this set up (iphone + UE5c)

Thanks

PS Great Forum

Sep 12, 2007 at 2:19 PM Post #2 of 32
As the saying goes, welcome to head-fi and sorry about your wallet. Best option is to leave now....

Congrats on making a tough decision. The UE5cs are nice IEMs.

First question, are you sure UE still sells the UE5c? Seems like I saw somewhere they had discontinued them.

Two - ever considered the Westone ES2? Killer IEM in the same price range.

Three - the UE5cs don't benefit all that much from an amp. They sound great without one. However, they do sound really great with a Ray Samuels Tomahawk. Incredible pairing and one of my all time favorties.

Sep 12, 2007 at 2:34 PM Post #3 of 32
Hi,

I contacted Brad from UE and he mentioned that they still sell the 5C but it isn't advertised on their website.

I did Consider the Westone ES2, but i have small ears and the westone's look slightly big. I thought the custom fit would be a better and safer option. If it wasn't for the case of the atlantic ocean being in the way i would love to go for the U10's, but that could be for another day. Also the customs just have a better appeal right now. Its going to be my first major purchase from what im going to guess is going to be a list of a lot more purchases, so I thought i'd start with a bang.

Finally the reason i asked about the ipod touch was mainly because I was interested in getting the tomahawk for it, but i thought id find out peoples opinion on it first, does the ipod touch (iphone) do a good enough job.

Also i did notice on the UE site that they have distributers in Europe but i couldnt find any info on them, does anybody know where i could get this from?

Thanks for the welcome and the info.

Sep 12, 2007 at 3:13 PM Post #4 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did Consider the Westone ES2, but i have small ears and the westone's look slightly big. I thought the custom fit would be a better and safer option.

The ES2 are the custom version of the UM2

Sep 12, 2007 at 3:44 PM Post #5 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedLeader /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ES2 are the custom version of the UM2

yeh customs are customs,they fit your ear the same because they are made to your ears,i dont mean any disrespect but it seems the op does not realise the fitting process thats needed for customs,im not being nasty and dont intend to come across as that but if the op knew how customs are purchased then he would realise your customs are all the same size,the size of your ears.

if you do realise and understand the process id advise going for the es2 also

Sep 12, 2007 at 4:13 PM Post #6 of 32
sorry thought you had mentioned the UM2.

The custom ES are more difficult for me to get a hold of, as i dont know of a place in england that do them, also I couldn't find the cost online wither. I'll email Westone directly.

I've got an appointment tomorrow to get my moulds done, so I still have time to decide and also read up reviews for the ES2.

Sep 12, 2007 at 4:52 PM Post #8 of 32
You're in the UK. I'd really suggest getting a pair of ACS T2. The sound quality, comfort, fit, etc. are unrivaled. Check them out if you want a pro IEM.

Sep 12, 2007 at 5:09 PM Post #9 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by root /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're in the UK. I'd really suggest getting a pair of ACS T2. The sound quality, comfort, fit, etc. are unrivaled. Check them out if you want a pro IEM.

£500 is out of my budget, if they were around £250-£300 ($500-$600) maybe.

Does anyone know the difference between the UE5c and the UE5pro?

I like my rnb and soul, and sometimes enjoy the heavy bass, from what i have read from the reviews theres basically a user opinion difference between the ES2 and UE5c.

I'll wait and see what westone say to my email, basically is comes down to cost.

Sep 12, 2007 at 5:18 PM Post #10 of 32
well if thats your budget, what is stopping you going for the very high end consumer earphones, such as shure se530 and triple fi 10's. i know they are not custom but some say (including me) that the se530 rival such customs as ue10's for pure sound quality but at half the price due to being non custom

Sep 12, 2007 at 5:39 PM Post #12 of 32
I don't think Westone USA will let you order from them. They'll probably redirect you to the EU dealer, which will bring the price of the ES2 to UE10Pro levels
frown.gif

Sep 12, 2007 at 5:52 PM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well if thats your budget, what is stopping you going for the very high end consumer earphones, such as shure se530 and triple fi 10's. i know they are not custom but some say (including me) that the se530 rival such customs as ue10's for pure sound quality but at half the price due to being non custom

Im not a complete audiophile yet.....so i'm willing to pay the extra for just the extra customisation.

I understand where your coming from and I appreciate you input but i'm pretty much set on the custom route.

I did consider the Livewire option at one point, but after reading some of the reviews, I dont think their suited to my needs.

I mainly listen to rnb, soul ans hip hop, so bass is a essential, but then again I understand that getting decent bass from my budget and with my needs is difficult. The UE5's seem like they deliver pretty well on all fronts.

The reason for this post was mainly if the general SQ would improve with a ray sameuls amp, some reviews say the difference with the UE5 is marginal some say its worth it......just wanted to know more views.

Sep 12, 2007 at 6:03 PM Post #15 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nice choice we all love customs,they are simply just special

had a look on the US amazon site....$400 for the shure 530, not bad, shame its only promoted on the US site
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back