Ultimate Ears UE-5c: Are they supposed to be so tight?
Aug 4, 2006 at 6:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

SLCentral

Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

I just got my new UE-5c's, and while they sound GREAT, it almost hurts to wear them, as they're pretty tight. I called UE, and they said that it takes getting used to, but these things really cause irritation after time. I've heard that you can't even feel them in your ears, but I sure can feel these!

Did other people notice this when they first got their custom IEMs? I've only listened for about an hour, which may be the reason why.

Thanks!

P.S. After only a few minutes of listening, I get a headache :\. That's not a good sign.

Aug 4, 2006 at 8:12 PM Post #2 of 30
Everybody is going to have a different experience but.....

I got my custom IEMs a few weeks ago (Future Sonics) and there was two spots -one on each ear- that were quite irritated.
I was SURE that I was going to have to send them back or, at the very least, go to an audiologist and allow him to "shave" these contact points.

After a week or ten days....it stopped hurting. No pain at all.

I wear my IEMs every single day for work and at the gym/track. They seem completely comfortable to me now.

Perhaps you will have a similar experience. BUT...remember to listen to your body. If it really does hurt, even after you remove them, get them tweaked.

Aug 4, 2006 at 8:20 PM Post #3 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by tucker71
Everybody is going to have a different experience but.....

I got my custom IEMs a few weeks ago (Future Sonics) and there was two spots -one on each ear- that were quite irritated.
I was SURE that I was going to have to send them back or, at the very least, go to an audiologist and allow him to "shave" these contact points.

After a week or ten days....it stopped hurting. No pain at all.

I wear my IEMs every single day for work and at the gym/track. They seem completely comfortable to me now.

Perhaps you will have a similar experience. BUT...remember to listen to your body. If it really does hurt, even after you remove them, get them tweaked.

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif
. I'm going to wait through the weekend, and if it still hurts on Monday, I'll send them back. I'm leaving for a trip in a couple of weeks, and I really need them with me, so I can't send them out too late.

Aug 4, 2006 at 8:30 PM Post #5 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by joeshambro
find some "oto-ease". it's a lubricant designed for earmolds. it'll help with that a lot.

I'm not gonna apply something everytime I put my earphones in. If it comes to it, I'll just send them in
frown.gif

Aug 4, 2006 at 9:50 PM Post #7 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by JazzyMac
I would go ahead and send them in right away so they can work on it.

Seeing that you own a 5c, could you enlighten me with what you experienced when you first got your 5c's? I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Aug 4, 2006 at 9:55 PM Post #8 of 30
Often times it takes the ear canals some time to adjust to a new custom IEM. Oto ease can be used initially to help get the IEM in until your canals get used to it. There is a difference between feeling 'full' in the ear and having a 'hot spot' that causes pain/irritation. My UE's fit REALLY fully initially, however my ears adjusted to them. In my opinion, its better to have a full fit that ensures a good seal, vs. a looser fit with a questionable seal.

Aug 4, 2006 at 9:57 PM Post #9 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by digihead
Often times it takes the ear canals some time to adjust to a new custom IEM. Oto ease can be used initially to help get the IEM in until your canals get used to it. There is a difference between feeling 'full' in the ear and having a 'hot spot' that causes pain/irritation. My UE's fit REALLY fully initially, however my ears adjusted to them. In my opinion, its better to have a full fit that ensures a good seal, vs. a looser fit with a questionable seal.

There's not so much a spot, but it's just a very full fit. There's no room for my ears to breathe, and perhaps that's the point, but it just is overwhelming. I can slowly feel the comfort level getting better, but I'm not sure if that's in my head. I'm still getting headaches, which I find to be very strange. Maybe I'm just stressed from other reasons
biggrin.gif

We'll see how it is Sunday night. If it is still not good enough, I'll send them in Monday morning.

Aug 4, 2006 at 10:37 PM Post #10 of 30
If it is too tight and feels painful after sometime, I suggest you definitely need to ask them to loose a bit.

When I first got my UE10 Pro, the left earpiece is very tight, and it actually caused me some headache after an hour of use. I asked them to adjust that, and now it is not that tight but it let a bit more noise in.

Aug 4, 2006 at 11:05 PM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by SLCentral
Seeing that you own a 5c, could you enlighten me with what you experienced when you first got your 5c's? I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

I've got a review around here somewhere, but to be honest my first impressions of the earphones sound weren't that great. To this day, I do not feel that the sound is any greater than the E4Cs, nor the bass "intense". The only thing I like about these is the custom fit in my ears and my ability to run, jog, walk around with nothing but the music.

I took a plane trip recently and while I was trying to rest my head on my hands for a nap, I kept losing the seal everytime I bowed my head. It was very irritating and made my impressions about the UE-5c even more negative.

Be sure you want to spend ~$600 for these because the sound to price ratio is not that great.

Aug 4, 2006 at 11:14 PM Post #12 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by JazzyMac
I've got a review around here somewhere, but to be honest my first impressions of the earphones sound weren't that great. To this day, I do not feel that the sound is any greater than the E4Cs, nor the bass "intense". The only thing I like about these is the custom fit in my ears and my ability to run, jog, walk around with nothing but the music.

I took a plane trip recently and while I was trying to rest my head on my hands for a nap, I kept losing the seal everytime I bowed my head. It was very irritating and made my impressions about the UE-5c even more negative.

Be sure you want to spend ~$600 for these because the sound to price ratio is not that great.

Eek...those are pretty bad impressions
frown.gif
. From what I've heard, the sound quality is great, and is slightly better then my Super.Fi 5 Pro's, and the fit makes it worth the cost for me. I'd imagine that once I loosen them a little bit, they'll be perfect for my needs.

As of now, when I move around, open my mouth, etc., the fit stays, which is a good sign. Here's to hoping that stays when I get them loosened!

Aug 4, 2006 at 11:21 PM Post #13 of 30
I have to get my jaw broken and re-set.

Everybody has the same reaction "oh man...you must be so scared...that's gonna HURT" and I always reply
"Who cares about that, I'm gonna have to buy new IEM's!"

And then they look at me like I'm crazy and I go back in my bubble.

Aug 5, 2006 at 3:21 AM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by SLCentral
Eek...those are pretty bad impressions
frown.gif
. From what I've heard, the sound quality is great, and is slightly better then my Super.Fi 5 Pro's, and the fit makes it worth the cost for me. I'd imagine that once I loosen them a little bit, they'll be perfect for my needs.

As of now, when I move around, open my mouth, etc., the fit stays, which is a good sign. Here's to hoping that stays when I get them loosened!

Just remember...the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence...you could get them loosened only to wish you hadn't.

Does pressure build up in your ear? If that is the case, you might want to get it shortened a bit.

Aug 5, 2006 at 3:56 AM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by digihead
Just remember...the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence...you could get them loosened only to wish you hadn't.

Does pressure build up in your ear? If that is the case, you might want to get it shortened a bit.

Yeah, pressure does build up. What would be shortened? The tip that goes into the canal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back