Ultimate Ears super.fi 5Pro or Shure E3C?
Nov 14, 2005 at 11:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

roblo

Head-Fier
Hey,

Im looking for an upgrade for my Sony MDR-ED21LP ( http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews76374.html ) because they sound awful and are really uncomfortable. I have little or no experience in high end audio but want something better than what I have.

I have been looking at the Ultimate Ears super.fi 5Pro or Shure E3C and possibly the Etymotic Research 6i. I am looking for a pair of headphones that give good sound reproduction and bass response, can be worn for long periods of time and have good noise isolation. My budget is around £150 and they need to be in ear as they will be used for commuting and I will destroy a pair of full cans when they get thrown in my bag. I also want to test these phones before I shell out that much cash so if you can recommend a store in London (England) that knows what they are talking about, with a good range please do. I have been looking at this company ( http://tinyurl.com/9x2jr ) for a rough price guide, but welcome suggestions where they can be bought cheaper.

I am open to suggestions of other headphones and also suggestions of small amps (avaliable in the uk) to use with an iPod and a good pair of headphones.

Cheers Rob

p.s a few more questions.

1. Will a good pair of headphones like the one mentioned above need an amp?
2. Will they chew through batteries on an iPod?
3. Do you know any stores in London specializing in high end headphones?

Nov 14, 2005 at 12:21 PM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by roblo
Hey,
Im looking

Don't look.
Quote:

Originally Posted by robio
I also want to test these phones

Listen.

Welcome to Head-Fi. All the audio talk is very confusing. Component synergy, sound preference, type of music, the situation in which you listen. All of it matters. But it's not all communicated in every post. Don't get too caught up, especially with general statements.

Canal phones are great for commuting. With canal phones, the selection of tips and the way you seal them make a huge difference. Many people overrate the usefulness of an amplifier with canal phones because they're looking at one aspect of the sound such as bass slam. Most of the canal phones can be driven from the line out of a decent source. Adding an amplifier can add as much that isn't there as it can bring out what is. The one case where you definitely want an amplifier is if the headphone out sucks. I have a DVD player like that. It sounds acceptable through the line out but is horribly distorted through the headphone output.

Trust your own ears.

Nov 14, 2005 at 12:32 PM Post #3 of 10
well thats lovely, I trust my own ears but need some guideance as to what products suit my needs from the vast array avaliable. I have read alot of reviews and recieved the usual mixed views so I thought i would lay out the things i need to know. thanks for the post, it was so helpful...

Nov 14, 2005 at 1:24 PM Post #4 of 10
I was very satisfied with my Shure E3c. They are great canalphones.

And looks nice too !

Nov 14, 2005 at 1:38 PM Post #5 of 10
I ordered my super.fi 5 Pro from Hand Held Audio, and have been very pleased with the product. I use them amped with a Go-Vibe, which definitely enhances the bass slam among other things, but the iPod drives them easily. I actually never went past 50% of the iPod volume setting with these 'phones plugged in the headphone out. The musicality, detail and headstage are brilliant with these earphones. I haven't tried any other IEM's in this price range, so I cannot compare. I prefer the super.fi 5 Pro to my full size Alessandro MS-1 headphones, that's all I can say.

1. Will a good pair of headphones like the one mentioned above need an amp?

No. Some of them will benefit from some amps, though.

2. Will they chew through batteries on an iPod?

Not at all. The super.fi actually work great at much lesser volume levels than all of my other cans (Sony MDR-EX71SL, Koss PortaPro, Alessandro MS-1).

3. Do you know any stores in London specializing in high end headphones?

Hand Held Audio worked fine for me, and I live in Scandinavia. You should check them out.
(Super.fi at Apple Store - 299 euros. Super.fi at Hand Held Audio London - 229 euros. Both including shipping and VAT.)

Nov 14, 2005 at 2:44 PM Post #6 of 10
I think you should be looking at the e4c, not e3c. e3c is a class lower than these other phones your considering.

Nov 14, 2005 at 3:44 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIGtrouble77
I think you should be looking at the e4c, not e3c. e3c is a class lower than these other phones your considering.

Agreed.

If this helps--I have both the Shure e5 and ety 4p/s and I just got the super.fi pros and I love them. The bass is tight and the highs are nice and clear (from an ipod, without an amp). Overall, I prefer the etys with an amp, but I'm sick of carrying an amp around, and now the super.fi will be my main portable.

The synergy (OK, I hate the word, but I guess it's appropriate) between the super.fis and the ipod (4g) is great.

Nov 14, 2005 at 6:05 PM Post #8 of 10
There were a ton of comparisons of sf5p vs E3c vs E4C written with the sf5p and E4c's first came out if you want to search through the back articles. I haven't heard the E4c's but I own both the sf5p and E3c.

Here's my quick comparison:

Pros for sf5p vs the E3c: better bass response, bigger soundstage, more comfortable, seals on the outside of the ear so they're easier on and off.

Pro for E3c: better sound isolation, fits deeper in the ear so less obtrusive.

To me the sf5p is livelier and more musical. I rarely listen to the E3c's anymore.

Nov 14, 2005 at 7:13 PM Post #9 of 10
thanks to everyone for their help, i was erring on the side of the UE's before and now I think i just need to test them. i will head to the Apple store and give em a go before ordering off the web.

Thanks again

Rob

p.s newbie question; whats a soundstage?
eggosmile.gif
580smile.gif

Nov 14, 2005 at 7:36 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by roblo
p.s newbie question; whats a soundstage?
eggosmile.gif
580smile.gif

Is the feeling of having the instruments far away than inside of your head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back