Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5 vs. Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5 EB
Aug 31, 2008 at 8:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

PiratesChoice

New Head-Fier
First post..thanks for having me. I'm very impressed with the knowledge here.

I'm trying to decide between the UE Super.Fi 5 and the UE Super.Fi EB. I've read a lot in the forum but am having a hard time. I'm buying them for an ipod and will use them mostly for commuting to and from work and inside the house. I'm a bass lover and listen to a lot of old reggae and dub music. But I also listen to many other types of music including rock and jazz. I'm leaning toward the EB's but I don't want the bass to be too overpowering and distorted. Is that a legitimate concern with the EB's? Do the Super.Fi 5 (non EB) put out enough bass?

Any help is appreciated including other recommendations. I'm hoping to spend less than $200.

Aug 31, 2008 at 11:45 PM Post #2 of 16
I never heard UE Super.fi 5 and I own UE Super.fi 5 Pro EB. I can tell you that my iPod's sound great with it (even with eq on Bass Bost mode)! Never heard bass overpowered and distorted!
That's my umble opinion..
Cheers
Rui:
k701smile.gif

Sep 1, 2008 at 2:11 PM Post #3 of 16
I owned the EB for a while but returned it. I love bass but the EB had the wrong kind, muddy and boomy. Lots of clean bass seems to require multiple-driver phones and will be hard to achieve for $200, but in any event I'd pass on the EB if you like your bass more clean than thumpy.

Sep 1, 2008 at 2:57 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILikeMusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I owned the EB for a while but returned it. I love bass but the EB had the wrong kind, muddy and boomy. Lots of clean bass seems to require multiple-driver phones and will be hard to achieve for $200, but in any event I'd pass on the EB if you like your bass more clean than thumpy.

They need burn-in
wink.gif

Sep 1, 2008 at 3:17 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by the_thatguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They need burn-in
wink.gif

no such thing!
tongue.gif

Sep 1, 2008 at 3:23 PM Post #6 of 16
I thought their bass driver was dynamic?

Sep 1, 2008 at 4:05 PM Post #8 of 16
Trust me, you really should burn the EBs in for atleast 200hrs before making the conclusion whether you want to keep them or not. When I first got mine, I thought they were the muddiest and boomest earphones I have ever heard. After a week, I am really enjoying these. I never believed in burn in to be honest, but now I am a believer.

Sep 1, 2008 at 5:31 PM Post #9 of 16
The EB sound changes and improves over the 1st 100 to 200 hours of use. For many genres of music, the EB makes an unamped iPod sound pretty good.

As I type this, I have my iPod Classic and SF5 EB playing this:
51t1sTETcVL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

And for me, it's pumping out enough bass. "Don't worry about a thing..."

Sep 1, 2008 at 7:25 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by trickywombat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The EB sound changes and improves over the 1st 100 to 200 hours of use. For many genres of music, the EB makes an unamped iPod sound pretty good.

As I type this, I have my iPod Classic and SF5 EB playing this:
51t1sTETcVL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

And for me, it's pumping out enough bass. "Don't worry about a thing..."

100‰ TRUE!!!!!!

Sep 3, 2008 at 10:09 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILikeMusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, they are not burning in, you are just getting used to crappy bass.

I returned my 530's because they did not deliver on the bass which was amazing when I listened to the 5eb(the same song).
If I like "crappy" bass compared to audiophilic bass then long live the 5eb's! Music was made to be enjoyed! The EB's are great for this...There seems to be a lot of angry or concieted people out there..Why can we not respectfully disagree with each other?

Sep 3, 2008 at 12:34 PM Post #13 of 16
I am a bass lover and purchased the klipsch image x10 last week and was very dissapointed - cannot handle a decent volume and bass was poor.

I have since bought the EB's and im in love. even out of the box i liket them but i can tell you they do tighten up in the lower end after use.

going from the x-10 to the sfi eb is a huge diference in size though. the EB's are quite large but thats what you get for the massive subs in them!

Also the bass is a bit overpowering to begin with but after the burn in it becomes very controlled.

bare in mind im the kinda guy who still uses eq to put up the 30-50hz + 6db with the EB's.

Sep 3, 2008 at 10:45 PM Post #14 of 16
X10000 on the EBs. I actually sold them because I wanted to try something new but now I regret it. I might get another pair if I can get a great deal... bought my first, brand new for $100 non-ebay.

Sep 4, 2008 at 8:48 PM Post #15 of 16
my eb's are one year old now id say they cant be more burnd in than this and they sound absolutely great with any kind of music the only downside is : crap in = crap² out :d
and those damn ue cables

Users who are viewing this thread

Back