Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5 (V2) compared to Creative EP-630s
Apr 30, 2009 at 4:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Ubercolios

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I currently have the Creative EP-630s; have had them for a solid year and a half, and its been great; still sounds great and definitely are a great improvement from the iPod earbuds.

I'm looking to upgrade again, and the one that caught my eye is the Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5 (also referenced as V2 I notice). The reviews are quite positive for it, but they seem to be split about the bass; some say its okay others say its not enough. I am coming in from the Creative EP-630s; will the bass be much better?

I've also looked at Super.Fi 4 reviews; they also seem glowing. I don't mind price too much, but I do mind design; for me the Super.Fi 5 wins in design, but again I want to do sound quality first and foremost. Obviously the Super.Fi 5 should have better sound, but I want to check with you guys as well! In terms of great all-around sound (bass being one of the qualities I care about), are the Super.Fi 5s better or will the Super.Fi 4s be possibly better in bass?

Thanks everyone!

Apr 30, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #2 of 14
Well as 630 user i would say that Ep-630 is punchy (quantity) but sometime it could be bloated and the bass quality is not that great (not to mention the detail). I would recommend you super.fi 5 extended bass. Many people that are coming from EP-630 are disappointed when they upgraded their earphones because middle end and hi-end doesn't have that quantity of bass, but Superfi 5 EB does have quantity and quality bass. One thing you will notice with this upgrade is better detail and controlled bass yet deep and punchy(ok that's two things). It's certainly great upgrade from Ep-630 in any areas.

Apr 30, 2009 at 7:31 AM Post #4 of 14
coming from the ep630 expect everything to sound like they have hardly any bass to begin with. your ears will get used to that though (like eating a sweetie then having a glass of coke, the coke will taste like it has no sugar at all when u know it has tons)

Apr 30, 2009 at 2:12 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
coming from the ep630 expect everything to sound like they have hardly any bass to begin with. your ears will get used to that though (like eating a sweetie then having a glass of coke, the coke will taste like it has no sugar at all when u know it has tons)

Exaclty! that is why you need a even sweeter coke aka super.fi 5 extended bass ^^

Apr 30, 2009 at 4:23 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

what? you make it sound like the ep630 has too much bass! they dont have much bass and the little bass sounds very boxy. also the instrumental separation is bad bad. I know they're cheap but I cant listen to any song with many instruments playing at the same time.

Apr 30, 2009 at 11:13 PM Post #9 of 14
Thanks for the feedback, everyone! Yeah, I know, it is quite a jump, but at the same time I don't want to be "slowly moving up"...because that would mean I wouldn't be able to get to this category until another 3 years or so
tongue.gif
. If the sound is worth the price I'm not too concerned; of course, only to an extent (I'm not running out and getting $500 earbuds)!

So would the Super.Fi 5's be a good option?

May 1, 2009 at 2:02 AM Post #11 of 14
Thanks for your feedback, Young Spade!

I've also noticed the Ultimate Ears 700, just released. The early reviews seem to be most generous, they say the sound quality is fantastic (whereas with the Super.Fi 5 some reviews will note the bass is slightly weak). Of course, the price is a bit high at $220, but as I noted previously, if the sound quality is worth it I'm willing to spend, up to an extent, and I'd be willing to pay around that.

I know its relatively new, but does anyone have any insight or even predictions of Super.Fi 5 vs. 700 in sound quality vs. pricing?

May 1, 2009 at 3:37 AM Post #12 of 14
May I suggest you try Monster Turbines as they have quality bass without sacrificing the mids and highs. I'm in a similar situation as you Ubercolios. I just upgraded from a set of Razer m100s which is identical to the ep630. Try it, you might like it and if you get it from Future Shop you have 30 days to decide.

May 1, 2009 at 2:46 PM Post #13 of 14
Thanks, ten7ryder! I'll look at those as well.

Does anyone have any insight on whether I should jump to the UE 700s?

May 25, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #14 of 14
I'll put my 2 cents in here. I don't know where that person got his or her information about the EP630's having low bass, and no instrument separation. I am listening to mine right now, and they sound fantastic. As a matter of fact, they sound better than my CX500's (which after 200 hours of burn-in still have a muddy, overpowering bass sound, which drowns out the other frequencies.)

I'd take my EP 630's over most of the earphones discussed here thus far. They have a very rich full vibrant brilliant sound. The bass is THERE, and it is clear and defined, and does not drown out either the mids or the highs. The only earphones I have heard which even come close to the EP 630's are the Bose IE's (which granted are overpriced, and don't cancel out all outside noises either).

What I plan on doing next, is to upgrade (believe it or not). I would very much like to get my hands on a pair of Monster Turbines, because based on most of what I have read so far, I believe that they will be exactly what I am looking for.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back