Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro & the Westone Um2, both have boom, which sounds clearer
Apr 11, 2007 at 10:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

icrackcorn

New Head-Fier
I'm going to upgrade from ER-6 because I wanted a more boomy sound. People on this forum have generously suggested one of these two. Any thoughts as who which I'll like better overall?

I listen to a lot of hip-hop and alternative mostly. I like deep, boomy bass, and generally crank the treble up high. Isolation is needed because most of my use is on the subway to and from work. Thanks!

Apr 11, 2007 at 11:43 PM Post #2 of 19
everyone with that brand or the other is going to throw a vote for the one
they have your best bet is to try and demo both i like ue you may not.

Apr 12, 2007 at 1:09 AM Post #3 of 19
I can offer you this much- I have had both IEMs that you mentioned. Both have their positives and negatives but what I found is that your preference will probably come down to each brand's sound signature. Westone and UE definitely have 2 distinct sound signatures and you'd really have to listen to both in order to decipher which you prefer. I will, however, give you short summation of the positives and negatives of both:

Super.fi 5 Pro- very fun sound, deep bass, slightly rolled off highs, very bright phones, comfort depends on the user's ears (seal, some find it bulky to wear, etc), very good price for a dual driver IEM, great cord

UM2- very deep and accurate bass, extremely even sounding IEM, comfort is superior to almost any other IEM, the cord, to me, is a tad flimsy yet very lightweight, the cord is also a bit short for my taste, expensive

There ya go. That's the Cliffs Notes version.

-T

Apr 12, 2007 at 2:23 AM Post #4 of 19
you want deep and boomy bass?

I suggested the UM2s...but someone think it's too expensive. -*-

Apr 12, 2007 at 6:58 PM Post #8 of 19
i'd say listen to them both then decide.
but i'd personally vote for the super.fi 5 pros.

Apr 12, 2007 at 7:16 PM Post #9 of 19
I've owned both headphones and can attest to most of what tonyfiore75 mentioned. I find the UM2's to be much more comfortable, and they can actually be worn while sleeping unlike the Super.fi's.

Sound is more even on the UM2s and the cord actaully feels more durable than the ultra-thin cable of the Super.fi's. However, the UM2 cable is not replaceable, which i thought was a neat feature of the SF5Pros.

I've personally switched to the UM2's full time now and prefer them. I think they are slightly more expensive however, it's a tough call. They're both very fine headphones!

Apr 12, 2007 at 8:33 PM Post #11 of 19
I had a real problem picking a clear winner between the UM2s and the Super.fis. I would switch back and forth between the two and try to assess the differences- of which there definitely are.

It's a very difficult question for me to answer which I prefer. I guess if you laid both out on a table for me and told me to only pick one to listen to for the rest of my life I would pick the Super.fis. Why? Simply because of the two they are the more fun set of IEMs. They're louder, deeper and just more lively. But it would be a VERY difficult decision for me to make. The UM2s are far more accurate and even- not to mention comfortable. I just found them to be a lot darker than the Super.fis.

Like I always say, your ears will tell you which you like better and this tends to come down to sound signature. I happen to really like UE's sound signature. I also like Westones sound signature but if I had to choose one, I'd choose UE. That is why I chose the Super.fi's over the UM2s. But, everyone is different.

Oh, and did I mention that the UEs are cheaper? LOL!

-T

Apr 13, 2007 at 12:05 AM Post #13 of 19
I have owned both (not concurrently) and would definitly go UM2. They're pricier, but you gain in comfort and detail. The treble won't be as present as these are very bright/dark iems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back