Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5 Pro And ipod touch hiss? and other headsets help
Feb 1, 2008 at 6:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

meridius

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all, i am trying to make my mind up that should i go for the Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5 Pro to go with my ipod touch.

I have a pair of sennheiser-cx300 and want to upgrade, I have tried my friends B&O A8 headsets and sound good but i like in ear phones which thay are not and not good at isolating the background sound out.

I am after some good quality sound and good base but not to much just a set that gives alot of depth i like the Cx300 for this.

now the problem is i have herd that these Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5 Pro can create hiss is this true ? or other top of the range headsets.

i want a good pair of headset that can do all range of music apart from classic as i dont listen to that.

The Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5 Pro seem big is there any other headset that are as good as the Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5 Pro buts are smaller in size ?
or are the Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5 Pro the best in the price range.

thay look by the pictures that thay would stick out alot ?

can anyone help me as i keep getting diffrent info on diffrent headsets and dont know what to go for heard the denons are good the 700 model but thay only use 1 driver as the Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5 Pro use 2 drivers so thay can not be as good as the Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5 Pro ??

can anyone tell me waht are the best headsets in the Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5 Pro price range or are these the best is there anything smaller but slighty less godd at sound but with good base ???

the cable on the Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5 Pro seem thick ar thay terrible to fit into your ears is the wire a pain ?

can anyone help me thanks

Feb 1, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #2 of 19
First of all, the SF 5 Pro's don't stick out from the ears all THAT much. A little, but not much. They arent tiny like the CX300's, but they are actually quite light weight. And very very comfortable. I think they are about the same size as most Shure models.
But that is unavoidable. If you want the benefit or 2 or 3 drivers then there needs to be space in which to put them.
But really, for these it isnt much sacrifice.
You get used to wrapping the wires around the ears, just like when you wear Shures. After a while it becomes just a very small extra step. The wire provides A LOT of extra security for me when wearing them. Very very stable.
(BTW, you can also do the SF5 "flip flop" mod, where you reverse the postion of the units so that instead of sticking out of the ears, they lay flatter against the inner ear.
Another thing: I have NEVER heard any hiss with the SF5s.

Feb 1, 2008 at 7:50 PM Post #3 of 19
Yes, absolutely, you can clearly hear hiss from the UE 5 Pro's when used with the Apple Touch, or my 2nd Gen Nano, or my first gen Shuffle. The hiss is less pronounced with the UE Triple 10's, but still there. In contrast, there is less hiss in my Cowon iAudio 7.

Will

Feb 1, 2008 at 8:27 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by meridius /img/forum/go_quote.gif
now the problem is i have herd that these Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5 Pro can create hiss is this true ? or other top of the range headsets.

Haven't tried my touch, but there's definitely hiss on the iPhone. It's because the UEs are so sensitive. It's not entirely a bad thing because it makes them easy to drive. I think it may be hard to find IEMs without this problem, but I'm not sure.

An easy fix is to use the volume attenuator that UE includes in the package. It makes the headphones less sensitive. You'll have to turn the volume up but the hiss will be gone.

Feb 1, 2008 at 11:46 PM Post #5 of 19
I thought you were one of my friends at first because they also have CX300s and A8s, haha.

I am using a pair of SF5P with my iTouch and I don't seem to hear much hissing, if any at all. Its been pretty much a perfect pair of IEMs for me now that my ears and I have adjusted to them (remember to use the F/S mod!)

The cable is pretty thick, but you can always do a cable mod.

Feb 2, 2008 at 12:50 AM Post #6 of 19
what do you mean by the cable mod do you just swap the cables round on the ear peace and then place the left ear peace into your right ear and the right into you left ear ????

is there any other headsets that have better isolation and just as good sound at this price range and smaller or ar these the best at this price range ?

Feb 2, 2008 at 12:52 AM Post #7 of 19
oh are the uE pro 5 better than the B&O A8 ???? and is it hugh or just a littile bit

its just this is my first big jump into the higher end ear phones as i said i have the CX300

so the sound attenuator is just a volume control ??? you just lower it and leave it at that and then use the volume on the ipod to up the volume ????

is this an ipod problem or is it the same on every device becasue of the high end ear phones ?? what is the best way to set it up pause a song and up the volume all the way up on the ipod and then lower the sound attenuator untill you hear no hiss ???? and then lower the volume on the ipod

also the cx300 which i have hav a 112db rating and the UE are 119db not much in it for the impedance

do all good earphones do this i mean what about other brands do thay have the same hiss problems or is there headset out there with just as good sound as the UE 5 without the hiss and smaller size sets and better sound isolation ? or is the UE 5 the best at this price range.

just dont ant to waste my cash if thay are no good for me

also i have read this at

IGN: Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5 Pro

The biggest downside of these 5 Pros is the cord design. As great as these phones sound, the cords are a constant frustration. To be blunt, they are thin and cheap. They tangle constantly and feel as if they could snap with any level of abuse. The cord design is one of the best features of Shure's phones - a thick, durable cord that doesn't tangle easily and feels to be up to the high-end design level of the expensive phones it's attached to. While I understand UE's decision to keep their headphones light and easily portable, I think they could have gone with a better design then this. Also, the cord is just a bit too short and no extension cord is included

what do you think about that ?

Feb 2, 2008 at 8:43 AM Post #8 of 19
we in the uk get totaly ripped off for prices

what about the attenuator you get with the UE5 pros there seems to be 2 diffrent kinds ones like a jake plug and the other is like a littile cable version which one do you get with the headsets as the jack version would be not very good for the ipod as it would stick out loads do all new headsets come with the cable type now ????

also what about these Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 4 are these any good i know thay woul;d not be as good as the 5 pros but how do thay do for sound quality and bass over the cx300 and how would you class them agenst other headsets beet than the sures 210 ?
these headsets seem to come with more ear plugs as well, more than the Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5 pros ?

Feb 2, 2008 at 10:07 AM Post #9 of 19
The hiss comes from bad source, not the earphones. Some IEMs, like the Super.fi 5 pro (or my own E2Cs), are so sensitive that the hiss is pretty loud. Others aren't that efficient, so the hiss disappears.
The problem isn't just with ipod, it's with many portable players...

UE super.fi 5 pro's sensitivity is about 119 db/mW and impedance 21 ohms -> they are very efficient.
For example Jays q-jays' sensitivity is 95 db and impedance 39 ohms -> they are nice hiss busters, but a little harder to drive properly.

UE's volume attenuator makes them less sensitive, so the hiss isn't that loud, like Mattwardth said. I don't know how it exactly works, but i guess it works fine. I doesn't have a volume control... [size=xx-small]you can see that thing there Super fi 5 Pro Inc. Accessories - Products - Ultimate Ears Earphones Headphones Personal Monitors[/size]

Feb 2, 2008 at 1:58 PM Post #10 of 19
there must be two different volume attenuator as this picture shows its a jack type

The Ultimate Ears super.fi 5 Pro Earphones Review at Gear Diary

or the cable type here

Super fi 5 Pro Inc. Accessories - Products - Ultimate Ears Earphones Headphones Personal Monitors

but i want the cable type if i buy these as the jack plug type would be no good for a ipod as it would srick out to much

also what do yuo think of the Denon AH-700 up agenst the UE5 pros

it seem i have the list down to

UE pro 5
Ue fi 4
Denon ah-700

Feb 2, 2008 at 5:40 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by meridius /img/forum/go_quote.gif
also i have read this at

IGN: Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5 Pro

The biggest downside of these 5 Pros is the cord design. As great as these phones sound, the cords are a constant frustration. To be blunt, they are thin and cheap. They tangle constantly and feel as if they could snap with any level of abuse. The cord design is one of the best features of Shure's phones - a thick, durable cord that doesn't tangle easily and feels to be up to the high-end design level of the expensive phones it's attached to. While I understand UE's decision to keep their headphones light and easily portable, I think they could have gone with a better design then this. Also, the cord is just a bit too short and no extension cord is included

what do you think about that ?

pretty sure they redesigned the cord since then

Feb 2, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #12 of 19
The cord of the super fi's are pretty good IMHO. I see it as a big step up from the tangly cords on sony earphones.

My only gripe with the super.fi's is that I can't wear them for a really long time; comfort is a bit of an issue for me. But really, if i'm gonna be sitting for a long time, I'll put on some headphones instead anyways.

Feb 2, 2008 at 11:32 PM Post #13 of 19
The UE cords do have pros/cons w.r.t. the shures:

Good: The UE cords are stiffer, especially close to the headphones, so you can wrap it around you ear and really lock em in.

Down: They are stiffer, so after you coil them up, they seem to stay coiled. makes me want to avoid packing them up. Or at least the old Shure E3 case in which the cord wrapped around a spool.

I really like the 5Pro - a big step up from the E3. And when I use the double flange (the best fit for me), scary good isolation - in fact its often too good

Feb 3, 2008 at 8:11 AM Post #14 of 19
mmmm thanks for that just seen some other sets called the q-jays does anyone know what these are like to the UE 5 pros ??

do the q-jays have more base than the Sennheiser cx300 ??? or warmer sound
and do the q-jays offer the same isolation as the UE Pro 5?

also what is the build quality like of the UE 5 pros herd thay can crack easy and not very well built on the ear phone part is this true ????

Feb 3, 2008 at 12:29 PM Post #15 of 19
I believe the first version of the SF5 Pros had issues where the driver housing would crack. The new ones don't have this problem, mine is a newer model and it looks strong and I've banged it up quite a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back