Ultimate Ears Super Fi 5 EB?
Apr 25, 2008 at 6:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

dakayus

New Head-Fier
Hi I was wondering what everyones opinions for this is. I usually listen to 60% hip hop 30% r&b, 10% instrumental. I'm going to run this off of my laptop and iphone.

I do like bass, but since I can't test it, I don't know how much is too much. My sub I'm using right now is capable of 117 SPL and I like to use a decent amount of it. I also do appreciate sound quality a well AND I also like the fact that the buds are in my price range. Does anyone else have any other alternatives? I want a decent amount of bass and pretty good sound quality for a budget around $150 or so.
Thanks!

Apr 25, 2008 at 6:17 AM Post #3 of 12
Then my guess is you will be satisfied with the EB's. They have slightly less bass but with better control, punch and deepness than the bass freqs and much better sq.

Apr 25, 2008 at 7:50 AM Post #4 of 12
i dont agree that EB's have less bass than the bass freqs...(imo they have more)
but yes they are more controlled than the bass Freq and not as muddy, the bass freqs are just all over the place

this is from a owner who owns both the bass freqs AND EB' s!!! and i A/B-ed them just yesterday

Apr 25, 2008 at 10:22 AM Post #5 of 12
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

this guys name says it all. perfect example of the EB sound.

naaa im kidding i actually like the EB alot, im into real bass heavy stuff and the EB really performs well

Apr 25, 2008 at 5:25 PM Post #6 of 12
wha? were you making fun of my name?!! how could you!!(sarcasm) lollll

May 1, 2008 at 1:48 AM Post #8 of 12
I finally got them and I must say wow they do sound nice! The amount of bass without eq running on my computer sounds a bit lower than I thought it was going to be. Either way, it sounds really good! BUT! it looks rather stupid with this giant chunk of plastic sticking out of my ear. It also falls out any time I talk, sneeze, smile, laugh, eat, etc.
Is there anything else out there that's comparable in sound, but not quite as large and bulky? I think I'm going to return these (and loose a 15% restocking fee). I'm looking for a pretty good sound for when I'm on the go like walking around, airplane, in class, in library, work. Since I have nice speakers, I suppose bass isn't that critical anymore, I just can't deal with these huge worm like protrusions coming out of my ears. If it wasn't for the size, I think I'd absolutely love them.

Anyways my review is that is has nice highs, mids are not as strong as the highs or bass. The treble is kind of bright sounding (which I like). I'd say the bass is like have a tiny 8" subwoofer like a velodyne minivee. The bass is pretty clear, but doesn't punch or have real good extension down low. When eq was set, the bass still didn't deliver how I normally like. I realize there's limitations to the physical size and dimensions due to driver size vs freq and am simply amazed at these things.

I tested these headphones on: r&b, rap, classical, opera, and that's about it so far.

May 1, 2008 at 2:26 AM Post #9 of 12
I heard they get much much better with a burn in for about 150+ hours. They will reach their prime sound and the bass will be much better and the midrange a little stronger; overall a better IEM when they are burned in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back