Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 3's, where did the bass go?
Oct 2, 2007 at 8:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Luke G

New Head-Fier
I'm very disappointed in these. I saw the deal Radio Shack is having on the red UE Super.Fi 3's and decided to snag a pair for $60.

Bass, what bass? I'm not a basshead by any means, but these things have zero low-end and are quite lacking on the midbass as well. I know they are meant for classical and jazz, but even those have some low-end frequencies here and there. My $50 iGrado's kick the crap out of these in every way. I was really hoping these would be some good earphones too.

I'm extremely disappointed in these even for portability. It looks like I'll be going back to the iGrado's or maybe even another pair of Sennheisers.

Anyone want a pair of Super.Fi 3's for cheap?
frown.gif

Oct 2, 2007 at 8:13 PM Post #2 of 18
Well, you can always return them. I had to return mine. The left driver is shot. And I wasn't impressed by the right.

Oct 2, 2007 at 8:24 PM Post #4 of 18
As long as you didn't totally destroy the package, yup. I'd just say that they sound like total *****. Clean everything thoroughly, although I doubt they'll go back on the shelf. If you can't return it to the one you bought it from, try a different Radio Shack.

Oct 2, 2007 at 8:35 PM Post #5 of 18
Are you sure you got them to fit right? I find that they have excellent controlled bass, not overwhelming or uncontrolled like some shure's I have tried. I havnt heard grado's before however.

Oct 2, 2007 at 8:40 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by physh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you sure you got them to fit right? I find that they have excellent controlled bass, not overwhelming or uncontrolled like some shure's I have tried. I havnt heard grado's before however.

They fit fine. Even the high-end sounded like ass on this pair though, so maybe there is something wrong with them. I tried multiple sources and all had the same result.

Oct 2, 2007 at 8:47 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by physh /img/forum/go_quote.gif

you have to remember physh that some ppl think that bass quantity>bass quality
wink.gif
...and btw the Super.fi 3's have really good highs....You definitely have to have a fit problem.

Oct 2, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #8 of 18
the grados probably sound much different as they are made for a different type of music. The sf3's probably arn't your thing then. I like them because of the good details. The highs sound very good to me, but if the grado's are tha much better, then i should look into them.

Oct 2, 2007 at 9:14 PM Post #9 of 18
Fit problem can also be the cause of sucky SQ on IEMs.

Make sure you try different tips, the FS mod for Super.Fi's and getting a good seal with them, before returning them.

Oct 2, 2007 at 10:31 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by evilking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They could be just faulty. Return them for a new pair.

++ And then spend some time trying the different tips and different ways of inserting the IEMs into your ears.

Oct 3, 2007 at 1:37 AM Post #12 of 18
Well, I tried all of them, couldn't get a good fit to save my life, except the foamies. Then the fit was exceptional. My highs are fine, but the bass is completely undefined. Actually, nonexistant. Attempts to use an EQ just make it harsh, and blown out.

Oct 3, 2007 at 2:12 AM Post #13 of 18
I got the smaller tips to fit good with suction, but the bass was still non-existent.

Took them back and got a refund this afternoon as they didn't have any more pairs.

Oct 3, 2007 at 10:22 AM Post #14 of 18
What's your music ripped at...I can tell a big difference when listening to a 128KBPS MP3 and a 256KBPS AAC file with the super.fi 3's, maybe taht's it...what's your source?

Oct 3, 2007 at 11:41 AM Post #15 of 18
everyone is saying there must be problems and so on but i think maybe they just ent for you,squeeze a bit more cash out of your pocket and reach for the EB's i think by the sounds of it you will love those

Users who are viewing this thread

Back