Ultimate Ears relaced my Triple-Fi, need some advise
Jul 28, 2007 at 12:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

aleman

New Head-Fier
This is my first post, used to visit everyday for almost 2 years, but finally gave-in and signed up a few months ago. I ordered a Limited Edition Triple Fi Pro. After a couple of months the cable sheat came off near the Y junction, then last month the left driver failed I would get intermittent audio cutoff.

After 5-6 attempts & leaving messages with customer support and not getting any callback even once for couple of weeks, I finally got an RMA number WR-3428, at this time I was told that I will receive a replacement under warranty within a week. I sent back the unit under RMA and then didnt hear back for almost two weeks, finally I got tired of waiting and started calling their customer support and leaving them message almost daily, but never got callback from them even once.

Finally one day spoke to Tarah again who said that they will mail me a replacement next week as these were out of stock, now imagine my disgust when I received a package instead of containing a Triple-Fi PRO had a Black Super-Fi.

They seem to be having problems both on the product quality front as well as customer service front, it is embarassing for a 400$ product to fail in just few months and to have to put up with unresponsive customer service after that.

The Triple-Fi sounded pretty good compared to both my AKG-K701 and ER-4-P/s out of Go-Vibe V6, XCan-V3 and Echo Indigo while it still worked
wink.gif

Jul 28, 2007 at 1:06 AM Post #2 of 28
I agree. I have had problems with Tarah myself. First week I had my Super Fi's I dropped one of my small tips (the only ones that fit) down the drain while cleaning....definitely my fault but I called to see if they could send me a spair pair. She said she would, and that she did, but I never got them. Finally she said she would express a pair. That never happened and now I can't even get an email response. Jeez, I'll pay for a pair at this point. At least return the email and say, no I'm sorry we can't send you a spare pair. Terrible customer service.

Shure kills them in in that area without a doubt.

Jul 28, 2007 at 1:18 AM Post #3 of 28
Another problem I have had with the Triple-Fi is almost any tips that I use, the earphones seem to fall out after a while of use, I never had this issue with the ER-4P's plus the isolation seems noticibally superior to that of the Triple-Fi. I have had my ER-4'P/S for over 3 years and once I settled on their foamies, I never looked back, is it possible to try some after market tips with the Triple-Fi's ? All this of course is assuming that UE finally ends up replacing my unit
frown.gif

Jul 28, 2007 at 1:25 AM Post #4 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by aleman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another problem I have had with the Triple-Fi is almost any tips that I use, the earphones seem to fall out after a while of use, I never had this issue with the ER-4P's plus the isolation seems noticibally superior to that of the Triple-Fi. I have had my ER-4'P/S for over 3 years and once I settled on their foamies, I never looked back, is it possible to try some after market tips with the Triple-Fi's ? All this of course is assuming that UE finally ends up replacing my unit
frown.gif

I had Triple Fi's for about 3 weeks before I returned them for E530's. I loved the sound..even better than E530 but the ergonomics are terrible. They are too big. I had the same problem. They were SO big gravity dislodged them.

Jul 28, 2007 at 1:52 AM Post #5 of 28
I got a reply back from Tarah via email when I had questions and issues I posed to their support. She didn't seem to want to go out of her way in the least, and was somewhat rude to boot! Maybe UE needs to reevaluate their need for this employee!

Jul 28, 2007 at 2:52 AM Post #7 of 28
Yup, while a customer service rep doesn't make much money and is considered fairly low on the totem pole you'd think they'd give more consideration to the type of employee they hire since it is the ONLY link between the customer and the company in a business such as this.

Jul 28, 2007 at 4:24 AM Post #8 of 28
Make sure you guys aren't too hard on UE when posting things like this. I'm not saying don't I'm just saying try to be fair and only complain when you really need to. You might not realize what kind of weight you can have here. Threads like this are poisonous.

Jul 28, 2007 at 4:53 AM Post #10 of 28
My experience with UE cust. service has always been really good, so idk what the deal is with your situation. I had a problem with a pair of super.fi 5 pro's (cracked housing), spent 5 mins on the phone and in 2 days had a brand new pair. Then, more recently, I called them to ask how much for an older style cable, and they sent me one no charge.

I agree with you though that the build quality is definitely not the best.

Maybe you just had bad luck with the customer service? I worked in a customer service call center last summer, and depending on who answered a call, the outcome could be totally different. Some reps would go out of their way to make sure your prob was resolved (tracking down parts, making sure stuff left the warehouse, etc., all of which was an extra hassle and not required of them) whereas some just didn't care at all. It's amazing how much this stuff can vary based on who you initially get in touch with.

anyway, i agree with funk, you have to be careful, maybe the rep you spoke to was just half-assing it. You should call and ask to speak to someone higher up. Then you can make sure you UE is "made aware" and find out whether criticism of the entire company is really warranted. Lots of people besides me have had no problems with UE's cust. service.

Jul 28, 2007 at 6:15 AM Post #11 of 28
I think you folks are missing the point. There seems to be just one representative that is causing these complaints! Once again I'll state that any good company that takes pride in their customer support department would be interested in knowing this information and correcting it.

Jul 28, 2007 at 6:32 AM Post #12 of 28
In my experience with UE, every time I spoke to a representative Jennete on one ocasion and Tarah on two ocasions, they were both very polite and helpful, nothing against any individuals, just their quality control on the limited editions may have been lacking, it is pretty hard to get to speak to a person at UE and they never call back in my experience, contrary to their claim that they return calls the same same day, they never returned any of my calls.

To be fair to them, I think I should wait for them to rectify their shipping mistake, but they should have a better system in place to make sure such mistakes dont occour, in my 8+ years of buying electronics gear online, this has been the only time something failed within months of purchase and the company customer support dropped the ball.

Jul 28, 2007 at 8:11 AM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by flashbak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you folks are missing the point. There seems to be just one representative that is causing these complaints! Once again I'll state that any good company that takes pride in their customer support department would be interested in knowing this information and correcting it.

Right... that's pretty much what I said, so idk how I missed the point. meh

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedball /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My experience with UE cust. service has always been really good, so idk what the deal is with your situation. I had a problem with a pair of super.fi 5 pro's (cracked housing), spent 5 mins on the phone and in 2 days had a brand new pair. Then, more recently, I called them to ask how much for an older style cable, and they sent me one no charge.

I agree with you though that the build quality is definitely not the best.

Maybe you just had bad luck with the customer service? I worked in a customer service call center last summer, and depending on who answered a call, the outcome could be totally different. Some reps would go out of their way to make sure your prob was resolved (tracking down parts, making sure stuff left the warehouse, etc., all of which was an extra hassle and not required of them) whereas some just didn't care at all. It's amazing how much this stuff can vary based on who you initially get in touch with.

anyway, i agree with funk, you have to be careful, maybe the rep you spoke to was just half-assing it. You should call and ask to speak to someone higher up. Then you can make sure you UE is "made aware" and find out whether criticism of the entire company is really warranted. Lots of people besides me have had no problems with UE's cust. service.

Jul 28, 2007 at 9:47 AM Post #15 of 28
Their customer service quality reminds me a bit of Sennheiser (US). Their answers come about 2-3 weeks later.
mad.gif
On the other hand, I'll hand it to both of them for making all of their products sport replaceable cables as that's what'll probably fail first out of all things.

Etymotic's is personally the best I've encountered as of yet. Good thing too as their products don't sport replaceable cables.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back