Ultimate Ears Recable
Aug 25, 2008 at 3:12 PM Post #31 of 39
Thanks Germania - the pics certainly aren't disappointing!

How thick is the cryo cable? Looks a little thicker than the black and white cables, but there is nothing to scale it to. I am interested either way, how much?

Thanks,

Suicidal_Orange

Aug 1, 2009 at 11:38 AM Post #34 of 39
Hi, i m currently using TF10 and wanting to upgrade my cable~ i really need opinions about where to find best cable i can get ! can any one list top three or five ?? (reason being i bet price range could be jumpy !)

if not, may be i should try custom my own but how hard is it? i have no experience at all about cabling ~ all i got just passion for better sound and music experience !!!

whats the best material combination for cable? many many thanks !!

Jan 10, 2010 at 6:38 AM Post #35 of 39
i have UE 5eb and i would love to have them recabled. mine keep falling out and today the wire snapped. would someone recable mine for a price?

Jun 4, 2010 at 9:26 AM Post #36 of 39
Hi guys

I wouldn't mind resurrecting this thread, my UE SF5P cord needs replacing and i'd love to make my own. The crux being the pins, from what -=Germania=- said it sound like the silver hardened pins are the best option. 

I know that -=Germania=- said 20 AWG was the size of the pins (for FreQ phones?) but i measured my UE pins with vernier calipers and they were 0.72 mm in diameter. These seems to align with 21 AWG (which is 0.7239 mm).  -=Germania=-  Also mention 22 AWG in a later post with reference to one of the cables she made. 

Now lets say i score some silver of which ever is the correct diameter, do i really need to harden it? The process is quite involved, see below, it basically required the silver to be heated to 750 C then quenched and then heated to 316 C and air cooled. This sounds with in the range of bunsen burner (?) but i assume a diameter change would occur (hence stretching or a loose fitting is risked). 

So is silver plated copper wire a good substitute? i've looked around and can see 20 or 22 awg silver plated copper wire everywhere, haven't seen 21 awg though. However all the wire i've seen seems to be flexible stuff. Surely you can't use it for the solid pins of a UE cable? 

If i can use the silver plated wire, do i need to harden it? or do you just tin (solder) the ends? seems like you wouldn't want solder conducting your signal?

Also in terms of connecting the cable to which ever pin i choose, is it best to use some sort of crimping device? I read that you don't really want solder to make the join as it's a poor conductor. Can anyone recommend a crimping device? i'm new to diy. 

Lastly (sorry) does anyone have any recommendation on a 3.5 mm stereo jack. It would be nice to get a good one. 

thanks guys

orfeo

Handy and Harmon describe the process in their "Handy Book of Precious Metals"
as follows:

First heating to 1375-1400F (745-760C) for 15 minutes, then quenching rapidly in
cold water. [[ This results in a structure with larger crystals, and the most
uniform solid solution of the copper in the silver. This is fully annealed, but
with that degree of grain growth which normally one might wish to avoid.]] Now
the silver is heated to 600F (316C) for 30 to 50 minutes, then air cooled. The
resulting hardness is roughly equivalent to what can be obtained by cold working
to a 50% reduction (rolling or drawing, etc.)

It should be assumed that normal precautions against the formation of fire
scale/fire stain will be followed, especially with the initial annealing step. 

Remember that hardness obtained by heat treating is not quite the same as that
obtained by work hardening, in terms of the achievable hardness, and the
resulting strength of the metal. The grain growth caused by the initial anneal,
if used, may also have some affect on finishing operations.

Hope that helps.

Peter Rowe 

taken from http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Archive/Rec/rec.crafts.jewelry/2006-05/msg00022.html

Jan 5, 2011 at 8:31 AM Post #38 of 39
well i did a recable for my TF10 but using butchered connectors and cheap 3.5mm jack wires were using 7strand copper cheap stuff
achieved same quality as stock. i think u are goin all the way then use reputable connectors from neutrik or palliccs esp if u are using expensive wires

Jan 6, 2011 at 2:54 AM Post #39 of 39
speaking of expensive wires. any feedback on these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pure-Silver-9999-Stranded-Wire-29AWG-Teflon-Audio-Cable-/110536892795?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19bc83217b

They sound like a good product for a good price

Users who are viewing this thread

Back