Ultimate Ears Recable
Jan 20, 2008 at 7:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

Juli

New Head-Fier
I want to recable my UE SF 5 Pros, well basically I want to make a cable with the "UE plugs".
I mean these UE plugs:

Is there a way to make these plugs on my own or could I buy these online?
Or could I just buy the original cables from UE and use the plugs, but I don't think I could disassemble those.

Is anybody out there who made some of these cables, it would be nice to get some help from you.
wink.gif

Cheers,

Juli

Jan 21, 2008 at 6:00 PM Post #3 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by wkwlb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[PIC]
a lil blurry pic, but certain cant hide the shiny custom cable
biggrin.gif

Nice, but how did you do it? Did you buy the plug somewhere in the net, or did you make your own?

Cheers,

Juli

Jan 21, 2008 at 6:33 PM Post #4 of 39
I bought this cable during my trip to Guangzhou... Accidentally walking in an audio shop and discovered these gem... So far as I know the plugs are hand-made... you can probably get these cable if you can read Chinese, I think..
rolleyes.gif

May 25, 2008 at 5:03 PM Post #6 of 39
I searched around for quite a while to see if i could find some OEM plugs that go into the IEM's but couldnt find any.

Jaben said they will be stocking some custom cables for the UE range and they also sell the modified Westone cable as well.

May 25, 2008 at 7:25 PM Post #8 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by malldian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Think they would have the plugs?

As far as i am aware, Jaben is just a re-seller of the cables, they do not make them in house.

Im sure you could drop them an e-mail and ask for the manufacturers details, but im guessing their English might not be very good.

May 26, 2008 at 5:06 AM Post #11 of 39
I'm interested in plugs like that as well.

The stock UE cable is absolute garbage. It will never straighten out, no matter what you do. I'm planning on hacking mine up and soldering on an old cable from some JVC earbuds. A much better cable than the UE.

Jun 7, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #13 of 39
Hi, this is my first post but i think it'll be useful whom ever wants to make a custom cable

the pin spacing and size for the connector is the same for a 44 pin, 2.5in IDE laptop harddrive connector, the pin spacing is 2mm, now for the pin size.....
I also included the pinout of the cable
biggrin.gif

p.s. sorry about the phone cam pics, couldn't find my camera.

Aug 11, 2008 at 12:18 AM Post #14 of 39
Just stumbled across this thread and I can confirm that the pins on a 2.5in drive fit in my triple fi's, but are possibly slightly too small. I'm waiting on delivery of a soldering iron and some cable, and will certainly try this out - 1 dead drive has enough pins for several attempts
ksc75smile.gif

Aug 12, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #15 of 39
Soldering iron arrived - the hard drive pins work! Sounds terrible, but being as the jack was salvaged from a cheap extension (cut cable and soldered to my extension wire) and the wire is cheap silver coloured I'm not surprised
tongue.gif

At low volumes I can hear the music with no obvious distortion so the connection seems good. Now to find some decent thin cable and try a proper re-wire!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back