ultimate ears question...pro vs eb
Jul 11, 2006 at 4:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

cwuzer

100+ Head-Fier
i am preparing for college in late august and being that i will be flying from jersey to michigan i need an IEM for traveling.

i was set on the Ultimate Ears super.fi 5EB for a while, but then i looked into the Ultimate Ears super.fi 5Pro. is the pro worth the extra money and is the bass output drastically different?

i listen to almost all genres of music...mainly pop, hiphop, r&b, and techno.

thanks in advance for any input.

Jul 11, 2006 at 4:31 AM Post #2 of 15
Well, first off, it's called 'EB' (Extended Bass) for a reason
wink.gif

Many have asked the same q as you in the past (I'm not telling you to use 'Search' for this, don't worry), and everybody has told them: the extra money is well worth it. It's waaay more balanced SQ, and if you care, noticably smaller form.

Jul 11, 2006 at 4:33 AM Post #3 of 15
haha my fault...i'll admit i forgot to search.

Jul 11, 2006 at 4:38 AM Post #4 of 15
The EB is a lot of fun for some games, for watching action movies, and a few random music tracks. The thing is though, I'd never consider it as a primary earphone. I'd say go for the 5 Pro. Also, pick up some Shure E2 soft grey flex sleeves. Fitted to the 5 Pro, they insert a bit deeper and will give you some extra bump in the bass.

Jul 11, 2006 at 11:37 AM Post #5 of 15
Sonically, I can't compare them because I don't own both. I only own the EB.

I can tell you they can handle a ton bottom-end but, they are a pain in the butt to wear. They don't really stay where you want/need 'em to stay and....they also look bizarre.

I do wish that I bought the PRO's instead of the EB's.

Jul 11, 2006 at 3:26 PM Post #7 of 15
thanks for all the replies.

i think i've decided to go with the pros.
biggrin.gif

Jul 11, 2006 at 5:50 PM Post #8 of 15
sorry to bother yall again...now i have another question/poll.

i have decided to get the pros...should i go with the white or clear version?
biggrin.gif
i know it's only a cosmetic difference, but i am having a tough time deciding which to purchase. as of now i'm leaning slightly towards white.

thanks again.

Jul 11, 2006 at 6:14 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by cwuzer
sorry to bother yall again...now i have another question/poll.

i have decided to get the pros...should i go with the white or clear version?
biggrin.gif
i know it's only a cosmetic difference, but i am having a tough time deciding which to purchase. as of now i'm leaning slightly towards white.

thanks again.

Gun metal black finish with clear cable at earphonessolutions.com, pretty cool.

Jul 11, 2006 at 6:15 PM Post #11 of 15
ooh.

i'll check that out.

anyone know when the white 5pro will be in stock at earphonesolutions?

Jul 13, 2006 at 10:01 PM Post #12 of 15
I want to take this opportunity to introduce myself, I am J41M3 and I work for EarphoneSolutions.com. I will be trolling around Head-Fi answering as many questions as I can and contributing whenever I feel my insider knowledge can help someone in need of IEM info.

Back to work....

We are receiveing a large shipment of UE 5Pro White by the end of next week. We do have black ones in stock at moment.

To add more info to an already answered question, the nice "Extended Bass" of the EBs comes with a price. I feel that the highs are less accentuated and to be honest after a while the thumping gets old. The 5Pros have a nice clean and balanced sound. Personally, I take the 5Pro over the 5EB any day. Not to mention that the 5EB's ackward design doesn't fit all that well in my ears.

Again, this is my personal opinion so I request that all 5EB fanbois or fangurls refrain from flaming me.
eggosmile.gif

Jul 13, 2006 at 11:04 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
The EB is a lot of fun for some games, for watching action movies, and a few random music tracks. The thing is though, I'd never consider it as a primary earphone. I'd say go for the 5 Pro. Also, pick up some Shure E2 soft grey flex sleeves. Fitted to the 5 Pro, they insert a bit deeper and will give you some extra bump in the bass.

if the shure sleeves fit the 5 pro, do they fit the 5eb? if they do, will they give you even more bass? i'm thinking of getting a pair of eb myself

Users who are viewing this thread

Back