Ultimate Ears Metro.fi 150 : Fairly Cheap but Any Good?
Feb 7, 2009 at 5:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

TwystedMonkey

New Head-Fier
I was wondering how these IEM's are, from a little research Ultimate ears seems like a decent IEM manufacturer. I know these are by no-means high end but for 40 bucks... well do they sound like they should be more expensive? One of my only concerns from the pictures is how flimsy the wire looks. But some impressions about them would be appreciated.

Feb 7, 2009 at 7:25 PM Post #2 of 7
I got them for under $30 shipped and believe they are worth it for under $30. The build is perfectly fine. The issue is the SQ. No flaws or glaring weaknesses and it does sound like a UE as far as house sound. Just not that good a level of SQ. Detail is okay, soundstage okay, so on and so on. Nothing more than okay.

For under $30, IM-390 is better, J2 has more potential, PL30 was still a bit better. CX95 is better, Altec MUZX wood canalphones are excellent for $20 or so, they have more refinement and a much bigger richer sound. Creative EP830 is also less than ~$40 now and is a better phone than the 150's. Zune Premiums. Meelec AI M6/M9 also. You get the point. They are the lower level in their own price bracket. They sound about $25-$30 not more expensive than that.

Feb 8, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #3 of 7
I haven't heard the 150 but I've heard the 200. I thought they sounded decent. After listening to the Nu Force NE-7M though, I'd definitely take them over the 200s.....they're better in every aspect soundwise IMO.....not to mention cheaper @ $49.

May 5, 2009 at 7:27 AM Post #5 of 7
How's the noise isolation on the Ultimate Ears Metro.fi 150? I have small ears so will it work well? Can I sleep on my side with the earphones on? I'm kind of hoping that I can use it on the plane too. Does it come with a clip for the cable?

Sep 26, 2009 at 12:50 AM Post #6 of 7
no they are small but not small enough to not feel it when I sleep on my sides. They are very isolating as it can cover up coversation right beside me. But for a plane not enough since the plane noise is a very low hum so any passive noise isolation will not work to isolate perfectly you will still hear it. For planes you will need active noise isolation.

Sep 26, 2009 at 10:52 AM Post #7 of 7
I auditioned both Metro Fi 150 as well as the NuForce NE-7M about two hours ago.

Metro-Fi 150:
-heavy bass, decent sound-stage (though very artificial), very colored sound, lacks details and separation.

NE-7M:
-lesser bass but still pack a heavy punch, smaller sound-stahe, details and clarity are there, separation is decent for its price

Tested using Apple iPhone 3GS with Apple loseless formats MP3. The Metro-Fi 150 sound quality is way off as compared to NE-7M, so much so I was shaking my head throughout the 5min audition.

But of course the NE-7M has lots and lots to catch up as compared to my beloved Westone UM3X. SGD$89 for a backup earphone cum headset is not a bad investment after all.
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back