Ultimate Ears - Massdrop UE 18 Pro Special
Jun 22, 2015 at 2:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

HideousPride

Member of the Trade: Worthy Audio
Starting Monday, June 22nd, Massdrop and Ultimate Ears are bringing you a very special, limited-time deal on UE's flagship model, the 18 Pro. https://www.massdrop.com/buy/ultimate-ears-18-pro-custom-in-ear-monitors

Featuring 6 balanced armatures, 4 passive crossover points and triple bore sound channels, this is one drop that you don't want to miss. Ultimate Ears really opened up shop on this one - specialty materials like Titanium and Carbon Fiber, as well as Designer Artwork Editions like the Falling Rainbow pictured above are customization options you can choose from.

I recently visited Ultimate Ears HQ and got to learn a lot about their manufacturer process, as well as the neat, innovative ways they're improving the back end of customer orders. From 3D printing to digital ear scanners, UE's doing a lot right and really focusing on the customer experience. I'll have more on that in an upcoming post!

Jun 22, 2015 at 2:29 AM Post #2 of 14

Ultimate Ears

Get with the Times

It's an exciting time to be an audiophile. It seems like every year, new and ground breaking audio products are being released. From the Sennheiser HD 800 in 2009 to the HiFiMAN HE1000 in 2015, manufacturers in the industry are furiously innovating to bring you, the customer, the latest and greatest goodies money can buy.

It might not be quite as sexy to talk about, but upgrades to existing infrastructure and manufacturing equipment are just as important as research and development. At the invitation of Mike Dias, Director of Sales at UE, I flew down to sunny Irving, California to check out how the times have been a-changin' for Ultimate Ears.

Impressions Please

When you place an order for a custom in-ear monitor, the first step is always the same. The manufacturer needs impressions of your ears to get the order going. Ultimate Ears has pretty typical requirements - impressions must pass the second bend of the ear canal and include the full helix, crus of the helix, tragus and antitragus. If everything looks okay, the creation of your CIEMs begin. Here's where things get interesting: Ultimate Ears is innovating the manufacturing process, and moving things to the digital realm.

The Good Ole Days

The shell creation process was originally done entirely by hand. Ultimate Ears’ team of experienced technicians would cut, detail, and shape your impressions to the perfect size before pouring in a thick liquid that is cured to create the cast. From there, your liquid color of choice was poured in and cured under UV light to create shells that are buffed and polished to a brilliant shine.
clip_image002.jpg

The Rise of 3D Printing

This was all well and good, but the process caused a couple of less-than-desirable problems that were difficult to solve.
  1. Because impressions were cut by hand, UE technicians had to be very careful with the shaping process. A minor slip of the hand would result in a less-than-perfect shell.
  2. Variance in technique - Technicians take a unique approach to crafting shells. The same pair of impressions could be cut and trimmed slightly differently depending on who was placed in charge of your order.
  3. Production bottleneck. Because every order required its own time in the sun (or UV light in this case), creating shells to fulfill existing orders was a time-intensive process.

Not satisfied with the status quo, Ultimate Ears made the call to invest in finding a better way to deliver their product to the end customer. Enter 3D printing, which has had the following benefits:
  1. UE technicians learned how to cut and trim shells digitally with 3D printing technology. The new software allows technicians to reverse imperfect cuts and trims with a simple Control + Z, meaning they can get more aggressive in shaping your shells to fit you perfectly.
  2. The software system makes it possible to standardize technique across the board so that regardless of who you have working on your order, it comes out perfect. Since moving to the new electronic system, Ultimate Ears has seen a dramatic reduction in the number of refits required (to <3%).
  3. Because the 3D printer is capable of spitting out multiple units at a time, this has had a tremendously positive impact on lead times. Ultimate Ears now aims to keep their production time frame within an industry leading 3-5 business days.
  4. In interesting news, if you have CIEMs from another manufacturer that fit like a glove, you can send them in to be scanned and have a UE pair made that fits identically. 

Ultimately Modern

Nowadays, impressions received are electronically scanned by a 3D scanner to create a CAD (Computer Animated Design) file, tagged with a unique ID, and compared to the physical impression. A quality check is performed to make sure the electronic and physical version are identical before continuing.

clip_image006.jpg

The digital file is then passed to UE’s technicians, who cut and trim your impressions to the perfect shape. If the resulting e-file passes the test, off to the 3D printer they go. The shells that come out are compared to the electronic impressions to ensure accuracy, then sent to an ultrasonic cleaner to tidy up before the real work begins.

The Human Touch

Despite the fantastic advances in manufacturing, some things still require the touch of a skilled craftsman. Once the shells are clean and polished, they go into an order pouch which specifies the model the customer ordered. A technician takes the right mix of UE’s proprietary balanced armatures and tunes the drivers to match the “golden curve”. You'll be glad to know that very strict requirements are in place to ensure both sets of drivers sound identical to the ears.

Once tuned satisfactorily, the balanced armatures are then outfitted and secured into the shells. There's another quality check performed to make sure dB and frequency response haven't changed after being handled. After that, faceplates are attached, cut, buffed, and shined to perfection. If you asked for a custom faceplate, rest assured that each one is made under the watchful eye of UE’s talented designer.
clip_image014.jpg

Following yet another round of testing, everything comes together – the specific cable you asked for, your laser-engraved case, your cleaning tools and all the paperwork are tidily packaged together in a plastic container, then taken to a table to undergo a final quality check. If everything tests in the green, the order is put in a box, sealed, and ready to ship out to the end customer.

If you read back through this process, it’s amazing how many quality checks UE has in place. Every step taken is followed by a test to make sure nothing’s gone wrong. Speaking as an owner of multiple CIEMs (including UE's), this kind of obsessive attention to detail is exactly what you want to see from a manufacturer.

clip_image024.jpg

The Show Goes On

Just when you’re ready to give Ultimate Ears a round of applause for their new 3D printing system, UE has more in store.

Getting ear impressions can be a trying process. If it's not done right the first time, a frustrating second trip to the audiologist means spending extra time and money. Identifying this as an area that can be improved, Ultimate Ears is looking to streamline the process.

Unveiled at the beginning of 2015, Ultimate Ears partnered with United Sciences and is working on rolling out 3D digital ear scanning technology to their dealers. I got some hands on time with the scanner, and it’s an amazingly cool (and costly) piece of equipment. Lots of sensors and cameras packed into some cutting-edge technology.

The tip of the scanner goes into your ear, and by skillfully angling the device in various ways, it constructs a 3D image of how the inside of an ear looks. The electronic files can be shot over to Ultimate Ears immediately, further reducing lead time between when you buy the CIEM to when you receive the product in-hand.

What’s even cooler is that Ultimate Ears loaned Massdrop one of these nifty gadgets, so I’ll be practicing on poor, unsuspecting co-workers of mine until my electronic scanning chops are up to par.

To Sum it Up

Probably my favorite manufacturer visit to-date, Ultimate Ears gave me a really neat behind-the-scenes look at a company that makes really neat stuff. A special thank you to the following people:

Mike, for bringing up the fantastic idea to come check out how UE does things.
David, for being a killer host and connecting me with all the right people to talk to for this article.
Noy, for a detailed tour through Ultimate Ears’ manufacturing processes. What a rock star. 

If you're ever in the Irvine area, give Ultimate Ears a call and go check out their facilities for yourself. Whether you're a manufacturing geek, a CIEM enthusiast (they have every model they sell in a demo version), or just looking to kill some time with some cool people, it's definitely a visit worth making.

Jun 22, 2015 at 6:34 PM Post #6 of 14
Thinking about upgrading from my Shure 535s for these. Any recommendations or comments?

Having heard both, if you're a fan of the bass on the 535s you'll really enjoy the UE 18s.

Then again, take everything I say with a grain of salt since I've got skin in the game.

Just finished writing the article on my trip to UE! Check it out in the second post of the thread. :)

Jun 22, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #7 of 14
I definitely like the bass of the 535s but lately have found myself feeling like they're lacking or not as good as they once were.
I was actually only looking to pick up a dac/amp but this kind of a deal seems hard to pass up. I don't need these for work or anything else but I find it to justify going to a $600 ciem with the price of these.

What player would you recommend for these that won't have a lot of hiss and won't break my bank either?

Jun 23, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #9 of 14
Great job on the UE Tour article, HideousPride!

Wow.  I'm surprised that UE allowed you to take photos/video of the 3D software/printer process, as I (and the tour attendees) were not allowed to take or post any 3D process when I toured UE's headquarters.

Jun 24, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #12 of 14
  Great job on the UE Tour article, HideousPride!

Wow.  I'm surprised that UE allowed you to take photos/video of the 3D software/printer process, as I (and the tour attendees) were not allowed to take or post any 3D process when I toured UE's headquarters.

Thanks!

Trying to do UE the same justice as you did RIVA with your review. Mike did mention that the team recently just got the OK to more widely publicize the cool stuff they do, so it was probably just good timing on my part.

Jun 24, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #13 of 14
  Thanks!

Trying to do UE the same justice as you did RIVA with your review. Mike did mention that the team recently just got the OK to more widely publicize the cool stuff they do, so it was probably just good timing on my part.

I appreciate the compliment!

Very good timing, and it's great to know that I can take photos of everything now the next time I stop by their headquarters! 
bigsmile_face.gif

Aug 17, 2015 at 11:01 PM Post #14 of 14
I got mine a few weeks ago, perfect fit.  At first I was concerned the fit might be a bit tight but it's perfect.  Walking and doing about anything they maintain the fit.  Very happy with them.  I enjoy them more than my Grado PS500's. 
Using a Bel Canto 2.7 DAC and also an Astell & Kern 100 II. Anywhere from 16/44 to 24/192 to DSD files.

With poor quality files the sound in a word "sucks."  With high quality files I could not be happier.  Very accurate highs, mids range.  The bottom has just the right amount of punch.  When I put then in the world disappears.... and the wife has to yell louder to get my attention.. :) 

The top does seem very accurate.  It's not bright nor glaring.  Tight, accurate and well detailed.

$975 for a set that retails for $1350 plus etc.

I would invest in these again in a heartbeat.

Previous in-ears were the Monster Miles Davis Tributes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back